Author Topic: My home made Vortex pinball  (Read 3225 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: My home made Vortex pinball
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »

Great update, although I must admit, it is just mind boggling that you have a working pinball from scratch. Most "home made" machines LOOK "home made" - This machine looks like it was built around the time of the early system 80s perhaps ? I like the "classic" look of the game. If it was a game in an arcade - I would definitely play it.

How good would it be to have Vortex and Coconut Island side-by-side.  #*#

$%$

It does look very professional indeed, can't wait for the electronics side info!

V and CI together??? "AP - Home of the Home-mades"   ^^^

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

Great update, although I must admit, it is just mind boggling that you have a working pinball from scratch. Most "home made" machines LOOK "home made" - This machine looks like it was built around the time of the early system 80s perhaps ? I like the "classic" look of the game. If it was a game in an arcade - I would definitely play it.

At the time i built this i used to have some of my games out in shops/pubs making extra money, and i considered putting this one out on location to see if it would make any money, as it has working and fully adjustable coin mechs.

Never actually got around to it though, got sick of seeing my other games being abused, pulling crap outta the coin mechs ( i was always amazed at some of the things id find jammed in there ^.^)so i brought them home and restored them.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »
Thankyou to each and every one of you for the incredible responses so far… much appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:14:30 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
Drool!!!!   $%$

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 12:08:56 AM »

Gobbsmacked...  #*#

That is simply incredible. It would be a very difficult challenge to start from scratch, and have a finished product with the quality of your machine.

It is great to have such talent as yourself and Nuggy on this site sharing your efforts.. You should be very pleased with your achievements and you deserve all the accolades that you will get in Micheal Shaloub's book.

$%$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 01:59:50 AM »
I am SO glad you used all CMOS logic, I thought you were going to get really complicated when you posted this.
Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Thank you so much for posting your pinball - it looks the absolute DUCKS NUTS! No surprise Michael wants it in the next book - its worthy of many accolades...plus its fixable.

Fantastic stuff - if ever you decide to do another - id love to be part of the project, wold be an absolute pleasure.

$%$ $%$ $%$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
I am SO glad you used all CMOS logic, I thought you were going to get really complicated when you posted this.
Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Thank you so much for posting your pinball - it looks the absolute DUCKS NUTS! No surprise Michael wants it in the next book - its worthy of many accolades...plus its fixable.

Fantastic stuff - if ever you decide to do another - id love to be part of the project, wold be an absolute pleasure.

$%$ $%$ $%$

It has actually been on my mind lately to build another, so you never know, i might just take you up on that offer *%* thinkin id like to do one with multiball and speech etc one day. i've got a few ideas already.

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 10:12:54 PM »
Well done on all accounts.
I had to smile when i read you used simple cmos chips (and a lot of them), as i went down that avenue 15-20yrs ago too, although i never got the pin playfield built up and the whole thing fell to the wayside with other interests lurking.

I'm currently in the process of building some custom pins myself (again, after almost 20 yrs), and luckily things will be a LOT easier these days with the simple addition of Pic/picaxe cpu's and readily available parts, and easily
maintainable with modern chips, nothing obsolete.  *)* :lol
I'll definatley be using speech/mp3 chips for the Speech/FX & music plus DM Displays to keep them modern looking  &&

Well done, again !!
MM.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
Thanks Marty ^^^. I'd often wondered if anyone else besides me had ever attempted building their own pinball game... especially using CMOS logic! And definitely no obsolete parts in mine.. as yet anyway :lol

I'd also wondered about using picaxe microcontrollers in home made pins. I'd sure like to learn to use them. Make sure you post YOUR efforts on here as well as id definitely love to see what you come up with.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:11:57 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Marty Machine

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »
Yep, there's always someone lurking around that has (or will) build their own pinball machine(s).

The best bit, is that there's no rules to follow, the parts, gameplay and challenges are only limited by the person building the game, so you can't go wrong.  :lol

I've used pics/picaxes for ages now, and they're VERY easy to play with, especially using the "basic" language instead of anything advanced such as 'C' or 'assembler' (who can afford the time?).

In the past few years, i've dabbled more with Altera/Xilinx FPGA chips, which is like having a whole library of TTL/cmos chips all inside the one device, and you internally map out a schematic and assign it to the device pins (anywhere from 80 to 400 I/O pins).
When you play with these devices, you'll then see that ttl/cmos is obsolete hahahahahaaha.

I'm hoping to get more info together, and perhaps create another forum on here to share the lessons for anyone wanting to learn about it all, anything to help pinheads get there projects together  #*#.

MM.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 02:05:50 AM »
LOL!!! Im loving this!!!!

I talk to my dad who wants a juke to fix up that is valve driven cos he loves them and keeps valve logic alive ( has a huge stash of radios) - me?? im strictly TTL and self taught pretty much... a package that can contain up to 400 TTL logic sequences??? Oh, im interested!

Marty Machine

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:23 AM »
Actually the Altera packages i use has between 500 to 10,000 gates inside them, the possibilities are endless and the libraries contain both TTL & Cmos chips, plus standard logic symbols and your own custom chips too, so you can mix'n'match within your design until you're happy it works on-screen.

Once that all works on the screen, you then pick which signals you need to come out to the external world, and assign them to physical pins on the main (Altera, Xilinx etc) chip, and there it is, 1 chip that replaces 100's in your old 80's designs  :lol

The pinball board i'm designing at the moment has 1 (pic) processor and 1 (Altera) chip and that's all.
Can you imagine a pin mpu board being 2x2 inches in size? hahahaha.

MM.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

Well done looks good, just go to shows that you that at least you no what you doing.f**k i have trouble just doing a flipper overhaul with out causing a drama.

Craig
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
The more you post the more I am amazed! Simply outstanding!

Why don't you make you next game an E/M :D

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
The more you post the more I am amazed! Simply outstanding!

Why don't you make you next game an E/M :D

Do you mean build one??? it's not outta the question actually, as i have an old Wms Superstar in bits n pieces (minus a backglass) so you never know!