Author Topic: my 1st restoration  (Read 4606 times)

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
my 1st restoration
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:39:57 AM »
Well ive got what i wanted an em restoration. Ive baught a williams skylab. the cabinet is really poor but the back glass is prob 9.5 out of 10.  The playfield is prob 8out of10. game plays but tilts when ball goes down trough(i thibk its just dirty contacts.)  I will need advice on this being my first project. should the chimes sound at the atart of a game? Keep in mind there are no coin mechs (free play)  the cab is really bad, should i just make a new one? How do i go about making stensils (materials etc)  and what is thw right type of paint to use. I thaught id need new legs becauze of rust but after reading posts on ap i. will restore the originals.(thanks guys) ok so really all evlse i need to replace is rubbers and globes. please dont expect a post every week , but i will keep eveeyone updated as much az i can. also two of the red see through things on the pf are lifting. what is the proper adhesive to glue them. back down with?
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
Re: my 1st restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:46:33 AM »
More pictures

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:24 AM »
Nice restore pickup. Looks in good nick. One side of cabinet looks protected, the other side and front look like they were in a meteorite shower. Should come up real nice.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:02:36 AM »
nice pickup  ^^^

if you haven't been to the the pinball database yet, do so as there is a schematic that you can download and learn a little more of what triggers when etc - like the chime unit

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2202
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:07:22 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Nice looking machine - Keep the updates coming.
Will look very nice with cab redone.
This is how I make up stencils - may help http://pinballaustralia.com/cabrepaint.htm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:36:53 AM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
Playfield looks to have contact or mylar on it. This is a good start. The playfield therefore looks to be in excellent condition.

The backglass has some fade, but it still looks good.

Cabinet is where the challenge will be. From the looks of it, the paint will blow off if you used an air gun near it. The wood separation needs to be addressed. It is possible to sand the cabinet back and then bog and sand until it looks better, and at the same time check the stability of the cabinet and repair it as you progress.

The raised inserts need to be removed with a hair drier and pushed out, then the edges of the insert and the hole need to be sanded and then you can use Super Glue GEL.

The tilt issue will be one of the tilt switches or the plumb bob is not adjusted properly.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
Good luck with your restoration. That cabinet looks like it will be a challenge. It will interesting to see what you do with it.

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice Nino. Only the top half of the pf is covered and has a big triangle shape missing on the right side. if its possible to remove it without damage id rather do that and recover the whole pf. Most of the transperancies on the pf have sunk so i will prob remove and raise those as well.  ill have to look into the tilt issue as there is no ball in the tilt rail and plum bob isnt connected, also the solenoid on the stepper unit that selects which ball is in play keeps activating but doesnt spin the unit to advance a ball. so i was going to remove the unit and give it a clean as you have demonstrated previously. just baught some materials today for stenciling.

Offline billstats

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
If you haven't found the fault with the tilting,check the points on the tilt relay push them & watch carefully to see if they are closing as they are supposed to, then very gently adjust with pointy nose pliers,also clean points.......bill
bill /sydney /pinballs

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
One thing i keep remembering you guys say about these machines is NO lubricants. stepper units in back box were covered in grease. after a quick clean the machine works fine. I will completely clean these at a later date. also on the match stepper there ars serious pits in the pcb material which will also be repaired.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
Yep.. steppers are the brains of an EM and dictate the logic sequence... if you've cleaned these up and still have a fault then go searching, but steppers are always my first port of call with a non worker

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Ok i removed the (contact or mylar) unsure bbut think it was mylar as it was thicker than what i cover the kids books with. It was about 35 degrees in the shed so i thaught id give it a go very slowly im pretty happy with the results. minimal paint loss where the mylar ended half way down the pf. you will see in one of the pics the shape of the missing mylar mentioned in an earlier post. also the line in one of the pictures from the edge of the mylar was thankfully easily cleaned up and not a wear mark.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »
Great to hear the mylar came off OK .. I've never been brave enough to tackle it on any pin I've had
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
Well im sorry to say ive been too busy to work on the skylab this week. but while i was welding i knocked up this pf rotissery. hopefully it works. wasnt sure what to use for the rotator . then i found some extra castors and stripped the wheels off.