Author Topic: WILLIAMS WORLD CUP REBUILD  (Read 3146 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
WILLIAMS WORLD CUP REBUILD
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
Well for those who didnt see the WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP thread i purchased this Pinball machine from mark C  this one was different from alot of the auctions at the time this one had a complete set of boards (VERY STRANGE) so i had a bid and won it.  Any excuse for a trip to marks so i was happy.

Once i got the game home and had a good look at it all the boards were corroded from the 30 year old batteries that were in it. The corrosion was that bad it had eaten the battery clips right off the CPU...   

The cabinet was good the playfield was also good but the backglass was stuffed and the boards were stuffed i was very close to writting this one off to spare parts heaven but i decided to post on AP to see what everyone thought and everyone said dont part it out.   So i pushed it into the garden shed and forgot all about it.

After the shed rebuild i uncovered it and thought to myself i really should take a look on ebay for a better starting point CPU and begin the repairs.   Would you believe there was a working World cup CPU buy it now for $130 US if this wasnt a sign to start work nothing was so i clicked the magic BUY IT NOW BUTTON and the CPU was on its way.

CPU arrived and looked brand new so i dragged the headbox inside and started to re connect the Tranformer and install new bridges and try getting the power supply up and running.  Ive been lucky with this as i had a heap of spare power supplies and driver boards left over from firepower which i had already half rebuilt so i finished the job and installed them and Bingo everything worked except the Lamp matrix had a few issues.
   I posted on AP the good news that it had been saved and Nino posted me a link to a backglass on Ebay which i won...   Its all down to good timing and help from other but even the basket case pins can be saved.

Keep this in mind when thinking of parting out a Pinball Machine you just need to be patient  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: WILLIAMS WORLD CUP REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »
Well here is the acid damaged CPU    ewwww

And the steel bracket that holds the CPU    *!@ *!@

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
Noticed you won that backglass champ  ^^^

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »
Daniel looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you....

Best of luck mate....

The playfield looks great and so does the new glass you picked up... I'm tipping this will come up nice !  ^^^

Looking forward to future posts...

Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:11:06 PM »
Daniel looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you....

Best of luck mate....

The playfield looks great and so does the new glass you picked up... I'm tipping this will come up nice !  ^^^

Looking forward to future posts...

Thanks Marco
              Yeah fair bit of work involved but as its not a Keeper im not going to buff everything to a mirror like on strikes and spares.     My best friend has started to show an interest in Pinballs so this one will end up at his place if he wants it

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »
Noticed you won that backglass champ  ^^^

Yeah sure did Tony wasnt going to let any other bugger end up with it best part is didnt leave the starting bid  $#$

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:53:22 AM »
Did you sort out getting the backglass to Melb?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »
Still waiting for a reply from the Seller but ill keep you posted

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:35:41 PM »
The bottom line is tip my hat to you Daniel.

This game would of gone to the dump 10 years ago, or at least parted out....you go all out and save this game.

Not the most collectable game from that era but imagine the joy you will get out of it once she is up and running with the new backglass in it.

Good on you Dan - your a pinball legend in my book  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
Right i have the game working 99% on lamp column transistor needs replacing so i turned my attention to the mechanicals here are some before shots of the inside of the cabinet.    I just love the idea of solid state games with chimes and this one has a buzzer for if you tilt it  %.%

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
Here is the part that saved this pinball the playfield as it is in good condition i havnt even wiped it but sadly all the mechanicals have rusted some have seized completely others have only partly seized

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
sadly all the mechanicals have rusted some have seized completely others have only partly seized

After what you and I did with the HH, a bit of rust aint gonna scare you Daniel I'm thinking!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:09 PM »
sadly all the mechanicals have rusted some have seized completely others have only partly seized

After what you and I did with the HH, a bit of rust aint gonna scare you Daniel I'm thinking!

Nah not worried ive removed all the mechs stripped them and rebuilt em already. My best friend just had a game and likes it so its found its new home already.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
I removed all the plastic rollovers as they were glogged up with gunk came up well with windex and a toothbrush

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
Here is a photo of the mechs after ive removed, stripped, cleaned, buffed and rebuilt.  I might have to dig out the williams spare parts and find some that will polish up better but thats upto my mate if he wants me to go to the effort  ^^^