Author Topic: Jacks Open Cleanup  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Jacks Open Cleanup
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
As the title suggests, I have started the cleanup on my new Jacks Open machine.  I am reluctant to call it a resto and at best maybe a shop job - I have no delusions of living up to other's efforts that have gone before me.

So today I got Wifey to buy some Magic Erasers and with shaking hand and a big gulp, I started cleaning the lower playfield to see if I could tidy up the ball swirl a tad.  I got too scared and stopped before the ball swirl was really gone but it is a bit better.  I started to see one or two tiny bits of paint come off, or it may have been my imagination, but I didn't want to push my luck and ruin the playfield.  I'm telling myself it looks more authentic with a bit of wear and ball swirl anyway.  I was very happy with the end result on the shooter lane and the ball track around the top of the playfield.

I also tried the ME on the cabinet.  It came up a bit batter as well but you couldn't really see it in the pics.  The ME also seemed to work on the metal parts as well.

Guys I am only too happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions as to how I can do it better when I next have a go down the track.  I tried a few different methods and ended up more comfortable with a slightly damp ME and rinsing it when it starting to grunge up a bit - thoughts were that more grunge in it the harsher to action on the playfield which I didn't want.  A clean with some Novus and then a few layers of wax and that finished me and a few beers off.

Here are a few pics that I took as I went along.

What I started with.

Ball track wasn't too bad to start with.

Ball track is almost gone.   $#$

Minimal wear in the shooter lane now.

Starting to shine.

A bit more bling to it.

The ball swirl and wear is never going to go without touch ups and more use of the ME which is just tempting fate as far as I am concerned at this stage but compared to how it was four days ago when I got it, I am fairly happy so far.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:49:04 AM by Talby »
Addicted to pins.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Jacks Open Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
I reckon she has come up sweet  ^^^

Try Eucalyptus oil with ME, then a rag to get the traces of oil up.....then Novus with a soft cloth.

Still I would be stoked with that game Blair  ^^^

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »
I reckon she has come up sweet  ^^^

Try Eucalyptus oil with ME, then a rag to get the traces of oil up.....then Novus with a soft cloth.

Still I would be stoked with that game Blair  ^^^
Will do, I'll wait for these coats of wax to wear a bit and then have another go.  You can see though there is more wear around the inserts after today.......damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »
Here's a couple more pics.

Some areas cleaned up noticably better, other areas well......I can tell.   %$%

Before

After

A little bit better.....

Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
That looks great Blair  ^^^

It all comes with a bit of experience. Enjoy the game before you take the next step. I would be very pleased with those results.

Removing ball swirl is not an exact science - it takes practice. It is better for you to take your time and gain some confidence.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »
That looks great Blair  ^^^

It all comes with a bit of experience. Enjoy the game before you take the next step. I would be very pleased with those results.

Removing ball swirl is not an exact science - it takes practice. It is better for you to take your time and gain some confidence.

The main thing that came out of today was that I didn't destroy it and it has three good layers of wax on it for now to give it a bit more protection and some shine.  Some areas of ball swirl just didn't seem to change even with a bit more pressure and rubbing - that's when I got scared and thought it best to save it for another day and get some more tips and tricks off you guys.
Addicted to pins.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
......and now I know what you payed for it  :D :D :D

You should be doing handstands  :lol

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:51 PM »
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things.......... $#$   *%*

But handstands...no, my man boobs would knock me out.   %.%
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
Shes come up nice Blair you should be proud of your work, another coat of wax and 10 more beers and she'll look like new *%* I never got a phone call so I could video your work #@# *)*

Peter

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 01:55:24 AM »
Coming up nice mate . Good decision to stop once you thought it was enough . Also what you can see of the playfield marks become a little ( not much ) less noticeable once you put the glass back on .

Have to agree that for it's age that JO is very nice .

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 07:47:52 AM »
Shes come up nice Blair you should be proud of your work, another coat of wax and 10 more beers and she'll look like new *%* I never got a phone call so I could video your work #@# *)*

Peter

I spoke to your manager and apparently you are booked out for a while.....something about you taking videos of the bling in your balls, I started feeling a bit uncomfortable at that stage and said I'd call back another day. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
What a great score that game was !  How clean is the inside and under playfield and what a nice PF .
Agree with others comments re removing ball swirl .. takes time and patience .
I've gone overboard doing it before and regretted it. You are on the right track being careful .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17:49 AM »
When your happy with it you stop MEing. When you start to think you can get it perfect........you take the paint off  #@#

Looks really good, a desirable machine.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »

Once you breach the protective coating of the playfield, it would take 5 seconds to remove the paint and you are left with a white base paint. Seconds later you hit wood.

It is a VERY FINE line - but if you take your time, and use less pressure in the area (as you spend time in that area), then you will get it right. If you have removed 10 "swirls" and you have one stubborn swirl left - move on - because that one swirl will look better than paint loss.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »
The cleanup continues......I spent several beers on it this afternoon.  I am getting close to being happy with it cosmetically.  I have an order prepared for plastics, posts, lane guides, buttons and the like, then I just need to get it running 100%.  Most of the time was spent cleaning the apron and metal work - coin door, legs and side rails which included removing the flipper buttons to get rid of the grunge around the buttons and in them as well as the ball shooter.  Also gave a the cabinet a quick vacuum.  I ended up using a fiberglass/boat polish on the metal work - it seemed to give the best and quickest results getting off the dirt and rust.

A shot of what the legs were like before cleaning.

Addicted to pins.