Author Topic: Bally World Cup Soccer (94) cleanup  (Read 4311 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Bally World Cup Soccer (94) cleanup
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
I'm starting my WCS94 this week.  This will be a live job, so forgive me if it doesn't move along as quickly as some.

The game is a Bally World Cup Soccer 94.  I purchased the pin locally in 'as is' condition straight from the container.

The machine was transported home.  I visually inspected each coil and G.I wires to ensure none had popped off during transport as this is very common.  The last thing you want to do is rush it and risk damaging boards!.   ^&^

I then check the main power fuse and ensure its at the correct rating, then move on and remove, test and ensure is correct value each fuse.  In this case they were 99% right, which is always a good thing.

The transformer jumpering was checked vs the schematics (full set supplied with the game!).  The boards were isolated and each tested prior to having them all plugged in.
The 5v on the driver board was down so I removed it and straight to the work bench.

All the caps and bridges were original.  In all the WPC/WPC-S games I've owned or worked on I have never had one completely stock.  Another interesting thing to note.

All bridges were carefully removed as well as the capacitors.  I also now remove C4 and the regulator and replace all.

One and a half hours later, all components and traces checked, double checked.  Header pins (for G.I) were carefully inspected and any burnt header pins were replaced.

Board went back into machine, all voltages tested well within specs and game now booting and playing perfectly.

I also repinned and replaced header connectors for J120 & J121.  J115 looked in very good shape.

Once the decision was made to cleanup the machine and not offer 'as is', I went through the manual and ordered all new rubbers, flipper kits and coil sleeves from RTBB.

Below are some pics of the game.  Most probably have already seen it but its the before condition.  I'll keep updating as I go.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Bally World Cup Soccer (94) cleanup
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
The game was a re-import from Europe.  I have seen some which are filthy and others which have not had a hard life.  This one certainly falls into the easy life category.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
Mornings work just about completed.  Just about all the topside components have been removed.  Just a few to go then its ready for cleaning and polishing.  I'm pleased with the condition of the playfield and has very little wear.

Metal components are ready for degrease prior to tumbling and plastics are separated for cleaning as well.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »

Looking good Marty !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »
Marty,

As with everything you do, I am sure you will be meticulous in your detail and it will come up magnificent! Perfect timing for all the soccer fans out there as well!!

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Will watch with great interest-just love when the experts do a resto. This is a machine on my "wish list" after playing Troys beauty I'd love one.

keep up the good work

Peter

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
Metal parts have been degreased and are drying prior to 48hrs of tumbling.  Playfield is stripped and I've begun to clean it.

Some new parts (sleeves, rubbers & ball) ready to go in soon!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
No doubt this one will be looking amazing when finished. I can just tell!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »

Thanks Andrew!

I'm not going too nuts on this one, just a basic tidy up.  But it will be a nice example of a WCS94 when its finished.
The Star Wars I've just finished came up great, but I have officially been banned from selling it by the wifey.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:32 PM »

Thanks Andrew!

I'm not going too nuts on this one, just a basic tidy up.  But it will be a nice example of a WCS94 when its finished.
The Star Wars I've just finished came up great, but I have officially been banned from selling it by the wifey.

That's a shame - Star Wars is good and all but there are other pins that could be had instead for around the same money that offer better gameplay in my opinion.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:48 AM »
Great timing to start work on that game!! (Although 4-0 doesn't help motivation ;)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
Look forward to your resto Marty, I have a WCS that I'm going to restore in the next 6 months or so, whenever I get a chance, really great game even if you are not a soccer fan  *%*

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »
Further progress today...In between cabinet work on another project!

Underside of playfield work continues...Globes removed, inserts cleaned and ball saucers removed & cleaned as well.

I will work my way through all playfield mechanisms, each removed, cleaned, rebuilt and new sleeve.  Coils are wiped down as well.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
Tumbler has finished.  I've tried a new medium from a different supplier and I am pleased with the results.  A couple of parts will be finished off by hand but otherwise after picking out the remaining medium they are ready to go back on.

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
Damn SHINY!!

Keep the posts coming Marty, i think a tumbler is next on my 'to buy' list