Author Topic: Gulftream Resto .. now playable  (Read 4580 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Gulftream Resto .. now playable
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »
Gday all.
Decided my 1st cab off my resto queue will be Gulfstream.
Chose this one cause its a Williams, so easier for me cause I've overhauled a few of these now and its a game I've never played (except for a couple of balls when I was buying it from Rob.)
The playfield on the game is in better shape than the spare that came with it, so will be fixing this playfield up.

Started stripping the PF tonight . Here's a pic of where its at so far
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:51:56 AM by goodolddays »
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Gulftream Resto
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
All inserts are sunken so will have to be removed and releveled, plus touchups of course.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:34:15 PM »
This pic shows how much the ball shooter cover, ball arch cover and apron have faded. I intend to repaint these (and redecal) as well as paint the timber rails in , hopefully, a close match to the original pinky/purple colour.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
Gday all .
I'm still working on stripping this playfield down and have now hit the hard/hassle part.
This game has a huge reset bank mounted directly in the middle of the underside of the playfield.
I have to remove the reset bank to be able to remove the sunken inserts above it on the topside.
To do that I will have to remove every component on the underside that is attached to the reset bank.
What a bastard of a mechanical design  !*!. I haven't come across an EM with a reset bank mounted in this position before.
Wish me luck !

Cheers
Dave

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
WOW.. You're right that reset bank is in a bastard of a spot!! I'm faced with a similar problem with the Travel Time im currently working on, i need to remove a HUGE reset bank just to get the timber side rails off the PF to paint them!

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this restore ^^^

Cheers..

Mitch

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
Good luck with your fun with Travel Time Mitch !

Just looking at my PF again , really looks like I will have to remove Everything from the underside , including every light socket .. cause of the way the wiring looms are  !!!  !!!  !!!.. This has just added many more hours to this project . Ah well, sitting here whinging about it ain't getting the job done  *.*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
Dave,

I got the inserts out of GF when i did the rebadge without taking the bank off. I taped some hose over a hairdryer and got it as near to the inserts as possible, then tapped out  with a wide screwdriver on the edge of the insert.. got them all out this way1 by 1.

Good luck matching the yellow also.. its a transluscent ink thats used so most of its colour comes from the base underneath. The yellow you will have to mix with a clear to come near to matching it and have white base underneath

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »
That bank is bloody massive good luck mate

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
Dave,

I got the inserts out of GF when i did the rebadge without taking the bank off. I taped some hose over a hairdryer and got it as near to the inserts as possible, then tapped out  with a wide screwdriver on the edge of the insert.. got them all out this way1 by 1.

Good luck matching the yellow also.. its a transluscent ink thats used so most of its colour comes from the base underneath. The yellow you will have to mix with a clear to come near to matching it and have white base underneath

Gday Gav. Thanks for the tip re the inserts .. I'll think about it .. keep in mind though I am a Noob at this .. only removed inserts once before and that was scary for me .
Re the PF touchups .. kinda get what you are saying .. but again I am a Noob at that .. looks to me like I won't need to worry about the yellow , or have you seen something in my pics that I haven't noticed?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »

Thanks Mate .. yeah she's a big bastard eh? Lot of relay logic going on in this one. Ya just gotta love relay logic I reckon   ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:30:59 PM »

Thanks Mate .. yeah she's a big bastard eh? Lot of relay logic going on in this one. Ya just gotta love relay logic I reckon   ^^^

Yep there pretty amazing how did they work it all out back in the day pure genius

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »

Yep there pretty amazing how did they work it all out back in the day pure genius

Yeah , and then drawing up those schematics .. oops.. maybe the schematic was first  !@#

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:41 PM »
That bring up the life long question?

What came first the pinball or the schematic LOL

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »
really looking forward to seeing this resto!!!! good luck with it mate!

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
Those buttons went in the post today  ^^^