Author Topic: Gulftream Resto .. now playable  (Read 4581 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Gulftream Resto
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
Those buttons went in the post today  ^^^

Thanks heaps Daniel  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
Decided I am going to remove the relay bank from the underside of the playfield cause I'm not comfortable trying Gav's method of removing the inserts underneath it.
So.. the plan is to desolder the 48 wires connected to the various switches on the relay bank .. and at the moment I don't have a schematic for this game either  .

Wish me luck getting those wires back in the right places  @@^  :lol

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
Looks like a few hours work ahead of you.  %.%  I have never done this but is it possible to leave the wires attached and unbolt the relay bank as a single piece. Could you suspend it via wire or rope underneath the playfield so you had enough clearance?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Looks like a few hours work ahead of you.  %.%  I have never done this but is it possible to leave the wires attached and unbolt the relay bank as a single piece. Could you suspend it via wire or rope underneath the playfield so you had enough clearance?

Its an diea .. but having done this once (removing inserts) I found it much easier to have the playfield out of the game and upside down to heat them up and tap them out . Your suggestion though has made me realise the easiest way is to cut each wire, then resolder them with some heatshrink tubing over them  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
Could you flip the playfield inside the cabinet then only inlolder the wire stopping you from leaning the bank to one side surely most wires are attached at one side?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:46:41 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion Daniel . In fact I have managed to get it out of the way by disconnecting wires to the solenoids and main earth wire to the relays, and unscrewing the brackets holding the wiring loom in place  #*#

Now onto the tricky part of removing the inserts intact

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 10:53:16 PM »
Gday all.
Unfortunately this project has to go on hold for a while as I have a very keen buyer for my 2nd Lady Luck so have to pull my finger out and get that machine sorted out.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
I've finally got back to working on this game.
Cab artwork has been painted over (DOH!) 3 times by the look of it as there are 3 different colours over it, top layer being black.
Rob (Ford Fairlane) had scratched off the paint on the sides to reveal the original artwork before I bought the game from him.
With careful application of paint stripper I was able to sucessfully strip the front back to reval the original artwork there and have now made stencils. Still wondering how to cut them out though .. will be a bit tricky .. I might have to make one stencil for each colour .. not sure yet.
Today I also finally finished removing the siderails .
 The left rail proved very difficult and time consuming and 3 nail heads broke off in the process , of which I was only able to successfully remove the body of one nail , so will have to decide how to get the other 2 out (also have one nail body stuck in the right hand side.

Here's a few pics of the cab as it is now and one of my tracing of the side art. More updates coming as I make some more progress

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »

Each color will have its own stencil. VERY time consuming. I use acetate sheets from the hobby shop and a scalpel to cut the lines marked out from a long sheet of tracing paper. It is more "old school" that the current method of vinyl low tack screens, but it is still fun !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »
Gday Nino.
Yes I also think this time I will need to make a stencil for each colour .
With the 2 Lady Luck repaints I've done I managed to do both colours using one stencil .
As I don't have access to a compressor/spray gun I will be using the "Millsy method" again with this one .. ie cardboard stencils, trace the artwork onto the cab, cover with contact, cut out artwork with stanley knife for colour 2, seal edges, paint with roller, rinse and repeat for colour 3.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »
Another challenge with this restore will be touching up the BG .
Unfortunately all the paint along the bottom has flaked off , the rest is almost perfect  !!!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »
+1 for different colour stencils.
I used thin MDF and cut it out with a jigsaw.
This allows you to file the edges of the artwork outlines to get the right overlaps and create smooth lines.
Just take note of what sequence the original colours were painted so you can do the same.
If you dont have access to a compressor you can use spray cans, automotive acrylic lacquer is the easiest to use as it dries quicker and is less likely to bleed at the edges than enamel.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
A bit of progress .. got back into this today .. have finished the hard part of the repaint (and the part I hate the most) .. sanding, filling and primer .. I've got a couple of weeks holidays coming up so expect to get a lot more done then.

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
Holidays  $#$

You lucky bugger Dave, look forward to seeing the updates.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
Some more progress . Cab and headbox have been painted in the base colour (Dulux white on white) and I have just finished putting the artwork on them . I made cardboard stencils (which I used on the headbox) but there is too much detail on the cab (for me anyway) so decided to trace it on. to do this i went over the original tracing in pencil , then taped it on the side of the cab, went over it again, removed (which left enough of an outline) then went over the outline again in pencil . Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Here's a couple of pics .. time  permitting, I will get the 2nd colour done tomorrow.