Author Topic: Earthshaker  (Read 357 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Earthshaker
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:23:45 AM »
Well while i'm sorting out and sourcing bits for the electrical side of things, i decided if i put some pics up it will make sure i keep moving ahead with this project.  Keep in mind this is my 1st time at this sort of thing, so don't expect too much....

I've stripped the playfield and have given it a quick hit with shellite and isocol - will move onto the magic eraser and isocol soon.

Some of it so far has come up pretty good so far - see pic of the sun (i did give that area a quick novus hit as well)

A few questions.

1 There are a few areas that need paint touch ups - i assume these need to be covered afterwards with either mylar or clear coat, or will a good coat of carnuba wax be enough? (also am concerned if i give the playfield a clean afterwards with isocol it would bring the new paint off?)  In another thread somewhere i saw a comment about using some product in a spray can by cutting a hole in paper and spraying the paper (can't find it now!) was this like an 'easy' clear coat and can it be just used in patches where i touch up or will it be obviously different from the rest of the playfield?

2 I pulled some mylar off (using hair dryer - where the 'zone' decals are) and part of the decal lifted as well.  It seems the paint is staying down no worries, but i don't really want to re-decal every insert if this is going to keep happening, and again i would have to recover (mylar or cc) the whole playfield then i assume to protect new decals?  Do you guys think it is worth pulling the rest off or leaving it as is and give it a good novus and wax?

3 Another thing with the mylar, there are a few bubbles (see pic). If i leave the mylar on should i leave these or try and 'pop' them with a pin and smooth out?

Thanks

Rob

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:53:51 PM by robm »

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Earthshaker
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
RobM,

Progress is looking great.  Very good machine for a 1st effort and not too much outlay in $$ either   #*#

Not sure if you have checked my Terminator 2 resto thread.  I had some major insert decal issues and finished up replacing the lot.  I put down a full sheet of mylar over entire playfield and worked very well.  I didn't need to do any paint touch ups on it either.

On my Police Force, I had to do a minor touch up in the bumper area, so I put down a small sheet of mylar to protect it.  Generally speaking any paint touchup's should be protected by clear or mylar - but there are some gurus here which do amazing work with playfield touchups so I'll sidestep and leave that for them!

I am going to give my Police Force a spruce today...I picked up my TreasureCove playfield kit and from reading it is meant to do very well on mylar (mine is dull) so I will see!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Earthshaker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »

Wax can protect a touch up - but not as well as clearcoat or mylar. If the area is not seen by the player, there is no real need to touch it up rather than fill the cracks with the matched paint and sand it level. Cut a piece of mylar to suit and you are done. It is a cheap option. I've extended the mylar by cutting a peice to "meet" the old mylar.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia