Author Topic: Police Force Restoration  (Read 3309 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Police Force Restoration
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »
OK, well I've now truely jumped into the deep end...I've picked up a Williams Police Force for a project (not running).  Overall the machine is in good nick, few broken plastics, usual ramp cracks.  PF has been mylared (looks factory) which has a few bubbles....Will decide a bit later on whether to remove or leave...

I'm head deep in Clays System 11 guides to try to sort out boot issues.  All good fun..

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Police Force Restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
I really like this game. Good luck with it.

Does the police car work?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
Fun game that. Nug has one, and I do love playing it, except I'm not sure how you steal the other players points, but Nug does so no bloody use playing with him coz he's a thief!

I'm sure he'll be happy to assist with any tech issues too. 
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
I really like this game. Good luck with it.

Does the police car work?

Not sure yet!  Cannot get game to boot (known issue when purchased)....

The belief was that it was working fine, a screw was dropped just in where the displays were, caused a short now DOA.  I found the offending screw!

Fuses checked, I have the CPU board out at the moment but not too sure where to start...I will try to find some schematics to start with...

I'm getting a +5V LED constant, the diagnostics is blinking 3 times, then 6 times...The Blanking LED flashes, stops, then flashes...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
I've got some schematics and stuff for system 11 - shoot an email over to pinnies@thistledown.com.au if you would like what I've got Marty.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
Awesome!....Thanks heaps.

OK.  Little bit unsure which LED code failure I should take note of (maybe both)....Its flashing 3, then next cycle 6.  A 3 flash is the U51 PIA failure (score display circuit) and a 6 flash is U42 (sound board)....The score display circuit makes sense if the screw theory is right....I'll try to comprehend my way through the schematics to see whats before / after the U51...Also building an external power supply (off my computer) to drive the CPU board....

Will post more photos of resto shortly!   

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
OK...Have setup external power supply as per Clay's guide (spare Peter Chou p/s), run +12, +5 & GND to 1J17...Same error....

Ive done the old finger on chip method ie 'heat checking' the PIA's....U51 is definately warmer than the others.  I suspect it is bad.  U42 was not hot, but I think I will replace both.  Question for the experts (a) am I on the right track & (b) should I just buy the 6821 PIA's or sockets as well?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:08:15 PM by MartyJ »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
I always socket any chip I replace, especially those with as many legs as those 6821's, makes life easier down the track if you have another drama.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
I always socket any chip I replace, especially those with as many legs as those 6821's, makes life easier down the track if you have another drama.

Makes sense.  Will get some as well..

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:57:00 AM by MartyJ »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
Replaced TIP42 although the other one did test OK.  Track running from resistor to SR15 was gone, so I had to jumper on the underside.  Buzzed it out fine.  I'm flying by my guts here so if I've done wrong please let me know!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 08:50:27 PM »
Could have left the 244c in place if it was OK - according to comparison tables its a direct replacement.

What youve done is all OK!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »
Bit of an update....

Waiting for some components & other bits before I can get back onto the display..

Stripped probably about 1/2 the pf.  Unfortunately two of the r/h/s sling posts snapped in the t-nut straight away    *.*  Hopefully I will be able to just gently tap the t-nut out and replace both....

Bumpers removed (not fun) and a couple of touch ups to be done.  This is the only wear on the whole playfield.  It seems that it was factory mylar down below, but nothing around the bumpers at all?  Given the little wear, it was either very well looked after or low play...I will touch up as best as I can and probably mylar the bumper section.  I will keep the mylar only on the red section which should hide it nicely.

**It makes me laugh that the graphic designers actually painted the turtles bum hole on too!**

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:24:13 PM by MartyJ »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:39:41 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the bum hole - I'm never gonna be able to play nug's PF with a straight face again!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the bum hole - I'm never gonna be able to play nug's PF with a straight face again!

:lol :lol

Nice machine, Marty.. Keep the updates coming.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:14:47 PM »
OK, 1st coat is done.  I'm not happy with the green, its a shade off now dried...I don't know if the clear will bring it up....I had to take some artistic licence with his paw as I had no idea what was there previously?  Unfortunately there is not a great deal to do with this afterwards...The previous owner left me a very clean machine  &&, so I can't even vac the cabinet or clean it...I think even the transformer was cleaned...