Author Topic: Bank A ball update  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Bank A ball update
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:09 AM »
Ok, so you all thought id been a bit slack with this...but in reality, ive gradually been chipping away at this restore.
Now, what was going to be a simple touch up has completely changed. After seeing the real colours this PF is meant to be, i decided to take it back to how it would have looked once it left the factory. The result of this decision is a TOTAL repaint of the whole PF.

The main bulk of the PF is the yellow colour - this was done earlier with an airbrush as was some of the blue. But since then, ive been cutting in around the text using a bright light, magnifying glass, tiny paint brush and hopefully...a steady hand. The red colour had dulled over the years. Ive kinda been doing this in halfs - do one side of the PF and then flip it round and do the other side.

Heres a pic of the girl halfway through - im actually painting round the blacklines now and these will be reapplied right at the end. you can see the difference in brightness on the right hand side of the girls shoulder strap

Im starting to really like this girl - great cleavage and with a fresh application of lip stick and the red highlights in her hair she's beginning to sparkle again.

Here she is completed

In this picture the number 11 and 13 ball have been repainted

See how they look just that bit brighter than the others??

heres the top of the PF - the blue, red and yellow have been done here - only the red on the RHS of 'LIGHTS BUMPERS" has been done

Theres still plenty more to do - the green is untouched, the yellow in the girls hair is yet to be done as is ALL the white, pink and of course the black lines.
But already this PF is starting to look really vibrant and i can see good progress now. There is a point with a huge job like this where you wonder how the hell you are going to get through it, but im almost at 1/2 way stage now and getting a bit excited about the finished result...

Next update soon!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:48:07 AM by Retropin »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bank A ball update
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:50:01 AM »

Bloody Nice work - How many hours so far ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:07 AM »
I honestly have NO IDEA!!! Couldnt sleep the other night, so i went downstairs and worked on her - 3 hrs later at 3am i surfaced - honestly thought id been there for an hour tops - At a guess, id say 20 hours so far, but there are bits of it that i havent been happy with and so ive wiped it clean and started again - i want this PF to be IMMACULATE when ive finished

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:22 AM »
Heres a pic of old Charlie Chimp - whos grinning inanely cos he's been staring down her cleavage for the last 44 years - only the blue has been replaced on him..but you can almost see the Brylcreme in his hair...

A close up of the blue at the top of the PF - this originally had cracks running right through it...looks solid now

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:18:03 AM »
Bloody hell!

Gav I tip my hat to that work....on such a classic pin! I'm so glad you got this game, Mike had been shopping it about for 6 months. Just don't know how you find the time but I find your work inspirational! (without having the time).

That womans hand were she is holding the pool cue has to be Roy Parker's all time worse 'hand' drawing don't you think? :lol For collectors not up with the history - Roy Parker who painted almost all of the classic Gottlieb playfileds and backglass art had a habit of not being able to draw/paint hands

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:19:25 AM »
Her hand would less out of place on one of the Attack from Mars Martians!  :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
Yep - the hand is a shocker! Roy also chose a really awkward position to put her fingers in.

The rest is CLASSIC Roy Parker though - blonde with tits

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
That is just weird. Such a fantastic artist but couldn't draw a human hand. You have to wonder if it was done deliberately.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:18 AM »
Both my sisters are fine artists (oils etc) and have often spoken about the issues with drawing hands. Some of the great artists apparently have had this problem. Weird, seems an odd thing, but apparently common.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »
It seems they have no problem when it comes to other parts of the female anatomy!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
Yep - the hand is a shocker! Roy also chose a really awkward position to put her fingers in.

The rest is CLASSIC Roy Parker though - blonde with tits

Yeah the guy could draw some pretty ladies!

You have to remember that alot of his art was looked upon as very risque for the times!

Gotta love a blonde showing off her assets!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »
Gav,

The repainting of the playfield - have you done this by hand?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
The large areas are airbrushed - like the main yellow bulk and top section blue. The rest is hand painted

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:03:44 PM »
Fan-bloody-tastic work... sweet as! ^^^ If my Dracula PF im workn on at the moment comes up half as good as that i'll be happy :lol

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
Hey Gav, are you using enamel or water based acrylics? looks fantastic!!!