Author Topic: Bank A ball update  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Bank A ball update
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
Enamels.....

Acrylics dry darker than they are when wet - i find this really irritatiing and time consuming.
Enamels take longer to dry but the colour remains intact - other problem is that i get really into the work and start doing more than i had originally planned - cos of this ive often put my arm or hand in the fresh work ive done, had to wipe it and start again!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »
The large areas are airbrushed - like the main yellow bulk and top section blue. The rest is hand painted

Awesome work Gav!!!  ^^^
Looks fantastic!!  *%*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
The large areas are airbrushed - like the main yellow bulk and top section blue. The rest is hand painted

Awesome work Gav!!!  ^^^
Looks fantastic!!  *%*

What sort of clear coat do you used when you spray your playfields? Is it a 2 pack clear coat? I've never been game enough to CC a playfield for fear of it 'reacting' with the touch up paints i've used.

Obviously you dont have this problem with the enamels you're using. What brand are they? i might give them a try

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »
The clear coat i use is a MONOKAN based CC - its 2 pac and available through Australian Speciality Inks in sydney.

The enamels are from them also - this ensures that the two are compatible.

The enamels though are the full range of Pantone inks and can only be bought in 1kg amounts or more.
Total price of inks and CC is close to $1000 - not a cheap excercise, but if you intend to do a lot of work with them, then its worth it - also allows you to match pretty much any colour you want.
price of these inks included the clear enamel which is essential if you are touching up a BG as it allows you to mix translucent colours

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
This is the stuff

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
Umm you're right.. not cheap :lol but thanks for clearing that up for me. Like you say it'd be worth it if you plan on doing a lot of restores, which i dont think i will be some how unfortunately, so i really couldn't justify the expense.

It DOES sound like good stuff though... i like the idea of being able to mix the translucent colours on BGs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:24:03 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
Ive been chipping away at this restore, feels like im climbing a mountain, but the end is in sight and im pleased with the pogress.

Ive replaced all the green for the pool table and started on the white areas. The white im using is actually an off white i mixed up, but gee it stands out!
All the lettering is hand cut with a fine brush

You can see the new green here - it came up a treat, the old paint was so dull and tainted, underneath was a vibrant green, so i matched it and replaced the lot.
Also the balls #11 and #13 have had a total repaint now

This tiny lettering has had me really pushed to the limits, it will need more work done to it to build up the black again

Same here - the word "points" - i had a momentary hand shake come on and so the""o" isnt right. Im not happy with this and once again will have to be rectified. This is the problem doing such fine work - you can go so far and then your hand gives out on you. Its best to walk away for an hour or so and come back to it when the hand has settled again. This is why lettering takes so long, its tiny meticulous work.

But heres old Charlie Chump again still grinning inanely. He was never going to pull that blonde with a dirty shirt and yellow teeth, so here he is all spruced up

Heres some pics of the entire PF so you can get an idea of how it is looking. I still have the black lines to do - the pink and more lettering. Plus those irritating bits ive got to come back to - oh and of course the Gottlieb logo. The red is done on this and im just not ready to tackle the white yet.

If you look at "LOW SPECIAL"on the right - you can see, ive still yet to cut the letters - but you get a good idea of just how dull this PF had become

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:09 PM »
Man your work is awesome!!! Are you looking for a padawan??  :lol :lol :lol I need to learn your ways...

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »
LOL - i even post my cock ups.

Ill post pics of the lettering once its done properly

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:07:52 PM »
Gav,

I'm just lost for words.

Those results are truly f**king amazing, to think what this game was and what it is now is true testament to your dedication and restoration skills

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:40:41 PM »

$%$ $%$ $%$

Lost for words mate... I envy your talent !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »
Man.. thats sweet as!!  ^^^

I've had my share of stuff ups doing my Dracula PF.. dontworry about that :lol, and i went through the same dilemma re cutting in the paint around the lettering... that reminds me.. i'll have to post some more on my own progress...

Sorry for getting off track.. thats some seriously nice work.. bloody awesome #*#
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:54:21 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure this playfield was the one you were working on when I visited you Gav...

I gotta say guy's, it's one thing to read about it and see pictures, and another to stand there with Gav talking about it and having him show you what he's doing!

Awesome work Gav!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
Thanks Owen,

Yes - its the same PF, im nearing the end of it now and will post some pics again. Some of the yellow didnt adhere properly due to grease on the PF - probably from my own hand - this got taken back and done again.

Im really down to the nitty gritty of this PF - ive cut the lettering 3 times to build up a good strong colour there.
So far - i calculate ive put in just over 50hrs of work on the PF alone....but wait till you see the results!!!
 Even im excited

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »
I'm looking forward to it!