Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Sega Lost World High End Restoration

(1/2) > >>

Strangeways:
A SEGA "High End Restoration" ? Why not ?

The game was delivered to APR over a year ago, and the discussion was around having this machine restored. It was a presentable game cosmetically, but the new owner wanted the game taken to a level a Sega had previously never attained. Not from my memory, anyway ! It played fine, but due to the problem of finding parts for this game, several parts were incorrect. Ramps were simply not available. But after a long process of sheer determination, we have a full set of new ramps. The objective is clear - and the long journey has started !

The "Before" pictures ;

Overall - Not too bad ! Until closer examination ;

Operator used screws that were too long ;

Usual wear spot on this machine ;

More wear..

The left ramp - with repairs and incorrect mounting screws ;

Not sure about this area !

Return inlanes are broken.

This is a process I go through on ALL machines - documenting the various parts. Every post, and playfield part is documented.

The Egg - unobtainium - But the owner fould a NOS Set..  #*#

Outhole = WTF ?

Everything labelled ;

Where do you start with work like this  ^.^ ^.^

This is the Drop Target Reset assembly. Sega assembly with Gottlieb parts  :D

Flipper assembly - More havoc !

Stripped playfield ;

The playfield was sent off to Hot Rodded Pins for Tim to weave his restoration skills and stu to provide the best clearcoating service in the industry. This is the result ;

The New Egg, plastic Set, siderails, Ramps and many other parts have arrived, or are currently on their way for this restoration.  $#$

pinnies4me:

I never minded this game, looking forward to seeing it better than factory!

Strangeways:
This machine is the perfect example of a game that has taken YEARS to complete. The objective is to have this machine restored as per original specs and basically a "Nearly In Box" restoration. But the challenges on this title were numerous and VERY frustrating.

The small right ramp is smashed up badly. It could not be used. Two years ago, a NOS was found and then a year later a PERFECT ramp was sourced.
The left ramp was also smashed up and again, as NOS was sourced 3 years ago.
The Snagger Belt was broken (the assy disabled) and NOS were not available. Enter Pinballlife 2 years ago, and a new belt is available.
The snagger PCB was nonfunctional. A repro appeared this year.
The Red Round Targets were unaobtainium until remade.
The Egg was smashed (both sides). Was remade in Germany 3 years ago and a better example last year.

An absolute nightmare due to the unavailability of parts required to meet the standard required. A lot of the stockpiled parts bought years ago are no longer available. This project was stopped and restarted so many times, but it is finally finished ! I also lost the hard disk with over 400 photos. So it was like a massive jigsaw to re assemble.

Winding back the clock, here is the resumption of the restore thread..

The assemblies removed

The Shooter Launch Assembly was an absolute mess ;

Literally, nothing to salvage. Had to replace the entire assembly ;

As for the flipper plates - These were damaged beyond repair. Rethreaded and also the "custom" coil stops were re drilled.

What a mess !

Strangeways:
My favorite assembly was the Drop Target / Drop Target Reset assembly. This was the worst frankenstein assembly made from original parts and a Bally Coin Lock-out assembly.

Bally Lock Out assembly with coil...

Rebuilt with the correct reset section (coil and bracket).

Side by side. Yes - that is the old parts.

The Round Transparent Targets - That were not available when I started.

ddstoys:
Gunna be cool when it’s done mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version