Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Gottlieb Free Fall High End Restoration

(1/5) > >>

Strangeways:
I was going to document the "Free Fall" in the same thread as the "Sky Jump", but due to developments with this restoration, I thought it needed it's own thread. When I say "Developments", I mean aspects of the restoration that change due to components being available whilst the machine is in the queue, or new ideas that come forward. This game is far the same collector as the "Sky Jump", and we always wanted the two games to look "new" - side by side. This is the RARE "add a ball" version of "Sky Jump" - so rare - I think there are only TWO in Australia.

Background

Part of two Gottliebs to be restored at a High Standard.
At the time of obtaining the game, no repro playfield was available, only the original in the game.

Condition

Cabinet - 7/10 - Original paint job. In reasonably good condition.
Backglass - N/A - Owner has a repro.
Playfield - 5/10 -  Planking and wear.
Electrical - 8/10 - Great for it's age.

High Score To Date.. No I won't be engraving the high score !

One TIRED playfield !

Internals not too bad..

Stripping the hardware off the cabinet ;

Original color to match - but it is the same as "Sky Jump" anyway !

Webbing was used on "Sky Jump" and "Splatter" on "Free Fall".

Sanded and prepped for primer..

Used @Pinball Pimp Stencils for this repaint - same as "Sky Jump".

Well this was all completed LAST YEAR.. Next update is where there are some really COOL developments !

<.>

Top Card:
Beautiful. I had a Sky Jump when I was about 16. How many hours to get to this point, sanded and repainted ?

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: Top Card on February 28, 2019, 10:56:58 PM ---Beautiful. I had a Sky Jump when I was about 16. How many hours to get to this point, sanded and repainted ?

--- End quote ---

Depends on the condition of the machine and the stencils. This would be a simple job, the stencils are basic. The integrity of the cabinet was good to start off with, so all told - approx 14 hours effort. Most of that time is prep work. Repairing, filling and sanding.

Strangeways:
As referred to earlier and on the "Sky Jump" thread, this game is owned by the same collector. Both these machines must be pristine once restored. Wade Krauss did a run of Repro "Sky Jump" playfields, and the "Sky Jump" will have one of these installed. But that left his machine with an original playfield that would need a serious amount of restoration, which I would have done, but it would have taken a VERY long time. I tried to twist Wade's arm into producing a "Free Fall" playfield, but that did not happen. Time passed, and I contacted Wade about a "seconds Sky Jump" for possible conversion to "Free Fall". That would include some artwork changes and an extra insert.

Geoff from "Pinball Perfection" started doing some work for me and his playfield restoration skills were brilliant. I had already received the "Seconds Sky Jump", and it sat there for quite some time before I asked Geoff's opinion. He took on the job, and cleared both playfields so that they would have EXACTLY the same finish. All I can say is that this photos of the three playfields is "Jaw Dropping" to say the very least ;

Yes - it is a BIG photo - But it is the only way to truly appreciate the workmanship !

On the Left - The Wade Krauss "Sky Jump" repro "firsts" that has been clearcoated and ready for installation.

In the Middle - The Wade Krauss "Sky Jump" repro "seconds" AFTER conversion to "Free Fall" by Geoff and then cleared.

On the right - The original "Free Fall" playfield.

Photos ;

Cleared "Sky Jump"

Cleared "Free Fall"

Centre artwork on "Sky Jump "

Centre artwork changed for "Free Fall"

RHS Rollover section on "Sky Jump"

RHS Section modified for "Free Fall"

Side By Side Comparison with the exact same Clearcoat ;

As everyone is well aware, restorations are not all about finishing the project as soon as possible. In this type of work, patience is your ally. The way these projects are coming together, is proof. When collectors / customers truly appreciate this type of effort and result, it makes all the waiting time worth it.

Special thanks to Wade and Geoff for making this happen.

Pinballer:
Excellent job. Wade's playfields are second to none.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version