Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

? About tumblers

(1/3) > >>

Pop Bumper Pete:
I like tumbling parts, put parts in and pull out nice shiny new parts
Usually a day in walnut medium then an day in corncob

But I have found some parts need a few days in to get rid of hard to move crud
is their anything else I could add to speed thing up?
I tried adding Brasso, but that just turned my walnuts to cement

GAP:
I put in a little bit of liquid Autosol with the parts then tumble then for a day or so using corncob medium.
It must be remembered though, that tumblers are polishers not cleaners - you will not get a shiny new looking part out if all that went in was a rusted, Coke stained bit of junk.

Pop Bumper Pete:

--- Quote from: GAP on February 27, 2022, 12:28:36 PM ---It must be remembered though, that tumblers are polishers not cleaners - you will not get a shiny new looking part out if all that went in was a rusted, Coke stained bit of junk.

--- End quote ---

yeah, I know it cannot get rid of rust, but there is something on the parts that only seems to come off with days of tumbling
I dont want to use my buffing wheel on old stuff because I usually remove the last layer of Zinc plating

GAP:
Agree with not buffing the old parts. What I resort to is hand polishing  ^.^  using Purple Polish from Repco (not cheap).

Graeme

Strangeways:
Sounds like the parts are very dirty and no amount of polishing will return the part to its original shine. Maybe hit the parts with a wire brush or green scotchbrite pad. I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner for years, and almost all crud is removed prior to polishing. If the part is zinc plated (90% of metal parts on a pinball are zinc), you can remove the old zinc and replate. If they are fiddly parts etc, just send to me I will re plate during my next replating "session" !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version