Author Topic: Strikes and Spares Restoration  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Re: Strikes and Spares Restoration
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Thanks again for your comments.. :)

Dave, I researched a lot to see what would be good to spray clear on the playfield but all along it was a gamble, the Americans have used a product called Krylon and it comes in a Crystal Clear Acrylic and also have one they call triple thick which is recommended for preserving backglasses. I found White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic at Bunnings and decided to try it as I expected it to be similar to the Krylon just different brand.

The idea here was to restore it without going over what it is worth, I could have bought a CPR Playfield and I could have looked at professional clear coating but decided to give the cans a go.
Using a satin instead of high gloss made it look more true to the original, that was another experiment I took a gamble on! :)

The only issue I have seen so far is in the yellow area between the flippers where the bonus score lights are, this is the area I had to fully redo and I have spotted some slight crazing appear but only in this particular spot, I may have to repair this spot again in a few years but it is minimal and doesn't seem to be developing further so it may have been a curing thing (playing on it too soon). This machine is meant to be played so over all I am very happy with it.

I also have a full size graphic of the playfield in colour separated layers Photoshop PSD file so as a last resort if the home clear job didn't work out I could have had an overlay printed and gone down that path.. or ultimately a CPR reproduction.

That's all well and good but now I have technical problems, when it turns on it only shows the GI lights and nothing else happens. The MPU LED didn't flash at all so I bought a new Alltek Ultimate MPU board, replaced the capacitors (large ones) on the Solenoid board and re-crimped all the MPU and Solenoid Board connectors and still no go! :(

At least it looks good! :)

Don't think I will be registering too many domain names somehow! LOL ;)

Cheers: Brettski...