Author Topic: TWISTER RESTO & MAKEOVER !  (Read 620 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
TWISTER RESTO & MAKEOVER !
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »
I purchased a TWISTER - SEGA 1997 apx 1 year ago.  Time to give it some bling and make it shine even more !

The machine is fun to play, but is visually lacking on the playfield. The cabinet is a beautiful mix of bright yellow and blue.
With this in mind, I searched PSP for some items that I will use to bring the machine ALIVE.

I purchased my machine from its first owner, so the machine is in great condition. It was actually used when the movie was released and placed inside HOYTS picture theatres for the release of the movie. The machine then went to one of the execs houses. It is a Australian delivered machine.

I have to decided to do the following to add some extra colour to the playfield. Plus a few mechanical enhancements etc.

1. Install yellow cliffy/post protectors instead of black.
2. Install Leds to the whole machine
3. Change some dome flasher covers to red, blue, green instead of leaving the boring white/clear ones
4. change the flipper bats to a different colour instead of white. ( I have black,yellow or white bats to make my final mind up with)
5. change the flipper rubber colours
6. change the flipper button colour to yellow or blue instead of red which doesnt suit
7. repaint the large "spinning disk" on the playfield differently to what factory was-this alone will look awesome
8. add a few toys that will go really well with the pin
9. add a white rubber kit and say goodbye to the ugly black rubber kit

The biggest change, is that alot of the bulb colours/insert colours on the machine are boring white. Last night i added different coloured LEDS to the under playfield inserts and what a huge improvement. Not only brighter with LEDS etc, but a colour change here is a dramatic improvement.

stay tuned for some updates/photos. A few guys who do already own a TWISTER machine will know just what a BIG improvement the 9 steps above will make. I think i will do a quick before n after video etc n some photos too.

Brett  ^^^
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:05:46 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: TWISTER RESTO & MAKEOVER !
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
I'll be watching Brett as you know I'm a HUGH Twister fan also-One thing though I love the white domes as they simulate lightning and with Marks super bright 9 LED flashers they look awesome, but hey I'll be watching what you do.

Peter

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
so far its looking good with the leds
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Parts arrived for makeover from Mark-PSP.  ^^^

The reason this MAKEOVER is DIFFERENT, is that I am CHANGING ALOT of the factory playfield/parts/colours to what the factory should have done in my opinion.
Bright n vibrant yellows will replace boring blacks. Whites will replace boring blacks for the rubber kit. Red/yellow/blue domes will replace boring white/clear domes etc.

Also, when a ball goes thru the ramp gate, the dome will now be red to match the large red playfield inserts that flash factory red, instead of boring white.  ^^^
The stickered targets on the playfield will be changed from boring teal green n blue to bright yellow n black.

When the pop bumpers go off, 3 large inserts flash bright yellow, so i have added a yellow stand up target in that area, supported by now yellow cliffys etc to replace the boring n broken factory white target. Big visual difference here.  

I will change all cliffys/post sleeves etc to bright yellow instead of boring black.
Rubber kit will be now white.
Flipper bats to new white with yellow rubbers.
I have already changed all playfield bulbs to various coloured LEDS. What a difference. Changed alot of the colours from boring factory white n teal green to NOW BRIGHT LEDS, ALL DIFFERENT COLOURS, but it looks so much better.(video at the end of the makeover)

Anyway, time to clean, strip the playfield for a treasure cove polish, new visual parts to be added, 1 x flipper kit, flame polish the ramp, n generally bring the machine to life with colour. I am also changing the factory spinner target/stickers to yellow n black. Basically, anything target wise will now be bright yellow n black.
I am also adding a strobe light in behind the spinning fan-factory topper. ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:41:04 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »
I was over at cavey's last night and man those leds have made a big difference.
the inserts are not all white any more.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »
I have enclosed the artwork for the new spinner decals (both sides of 2 x spinner targets) and the 4 x stationary playfield targets (x4) and the two smaller playfield targets (x2) that are sitting both sides of the ramp.

The background on the target stickers (all of the above) will be a bright yellow background with the blacky/grey twister symbol with a jet black danger lines thru the rest of the targets etc.

This bright yellow n black targets are replacing the boring factory light green n blue targets which I just felt were really dull. (the original I have kept in case I eever sell the machine to a collector who wants everything back to boring factory).

All artwork was done by my mate Beaky(Andy) aka wizard of everything pinball. I swear the guy could make a radio out of friggin coconuts. There is nothing he cant do.Thanks Andy for ya help as usual.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:03:36 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the difference on this one Brett  *%*
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
the 3 x new style spinner, large target, small ramp target decals are below-pictured. (if u look at the photos at the start of the thread, you will see the old ones, and now compare to the new mod ones).  ^^^ The new ones match the playfield better.

note - when u hit the spinner targets, the dot-matrix display gives u a "mile per hour" read out of the twister/tornado's wind speed. Also, when u hit the ramp or stationary targets, it makes the wind speed climb, making the spinning tornado wheel on the playfield spin, and magnatise and catch balls and spin them off in different directions, as well as making the fan ontop of the headbox spin and blow air in your face.

Thats why I chose a tornado with a warning black/yellow decal in the background for the decals. Plus it brightens things up.  ^^^

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:39:23 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
Hey Brett looks nice-at first I wasn't sure but since getting home tonight and looking at them on a full sized screen instead of the phone they do suit the game and I reckon they look great, well done and I'll watch with interest thats for sure.

Peter ^^^

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 08:12:25 AM »
Brett

I have to agree with you the game definetely needs brightening up well done looks good so far ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:16:24 AM »
thanks guys. Its only a small batch of small updates, but added all together, espescially the full use of LEDs and the complete colour changing of various white inserts to now coloured inserts, plus yellow n blue added hre n there, and it makes a huge difference.

more phots wednesday when i finish all the polish n strip,and put it back together, followed by a video.  ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »
HMMMMM video can't wait mate she'll look nice thats for sure. Just noticed on yours mines missing that spot light near the RHS spinner? wonder if some didn't have them and some did. Can't wait for the next update and may have to give mine a "make over".

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »
Pete, those 2 x factorty spotlights on the right side you are talking about,

* one is designed to aim at the base of the ramp
* the second is designed to cast light on the spinning tornado plate.
I did take one of the silver funnel shaped covers off the front light to aim that one at the spinning disk better.

In fact, by choosing the correct narrow beam white LED, it shines light really well on the spinning plate. It actually did have a second, and surprising effect, it lights up all the silver pinballs when the tornado plate is magnatised, and the "glint" of the light on the balls when they are all spinning, is excellent and very effective. It also lights up the tornado plate and looks much better with the brightness of the LED.

stay tuned for the final video. ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
Yeah thats the spotlight I don't have *!@ mate next time your under your PF could you take a photo for me of where the spotlight wires up to if possible and I'll try and locate one and install. Look forward to your progress.

Peter <..>

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Brett,

Decals look great and really brighten up the targets. Can't wait to see the effect of the changed lights etc!

Jeff