Author Topic: GILLIGANS PURCHASE & CLEAN UP/RESTO  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: GILLIGANS PURCHASE & CLEAN UP/RESTO
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
You are spot on with the computer power supply idea. That was one of the ideas Andy was considering since they are cheap and easily available etc. It wouldnt be hard to modify one either to add fuses etc for safety and so on.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »
Update.

Thought I would add some photos.

Playfield 3/4 stripped on top.
Underneath playfield after everything cleaned.
Ramp in the bath, and filthy.

As u can see, the ramp was filthy. The under playfield ramp was the same. Both have come up like brand new. The bath didnt do much at all really. The new tub of "Gumption" with a new rag did a great job. A cleaning tip i can pass on, is that I can highly reccommend "Gumption" to clean ramps. It removes stuff in seconds that no other cleaner could remove.

I am enjoying doing all the work on the rotisserie. It makes access to the top or bottom of the playfield a breeze.

I have replaced every bulb on the Under side of the playfield. I now have to finish off the last 20 percent stripping of the top playfield and will regrain all the metal parts before getting out the treasure cove polishing kit.

Its alot of work doing the resto/clean ups, but an hour each day, keeps the boredom away !

Another tip i wanted to share, is keep looking at all the sellers who list LED's for sale. I have, for example, purchased LED's from cointaker or Mark or who-ever has them on special from time to time. If u buy some here and there, and always wait for the Led's to come on special, u can build up a small army of LED bags, containing dozens and dozens of every different LEd that u may use of every colour known to man, and if they come at 30 to 70 percent off normal pricing, u have grabbed yourself some LED bargains.

I am going to flame polish the top Gilligans ramp, regrain the metal runners, and will take some more photos when I have finished the next stage.

I am waiting on a decent order of parts incl flipper kit, some new roll over switches, and some other bits n pieces top make the machine like new again.
Thanks for reading. Photos below.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:38:19 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »
a few more photos

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
Coming along nice mate I just did a WH20 ramp in the dishwasher and it came out like new I couldn't believe it and the setting was on high but NO drying cycle.

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Coming along nice mate I just did a WH20 ramp in the dishwasher and it came out like new I couldn't believe it and the setting was on high but NO drying cycle.

Peter

Good idea Pete. I never thought about using the dishwasher, but if i had, I probably would only use the dishwasher with ramps u can repurchase just in case something went wrong.(knowing my luck it would melt)   U cant buy Gilligans ramps to my knowledge, but I havent looked real hard cause my ramps are perfect.

My dishwasher in this instance was the wife, who wants to make this machine hers for a longterm keeper. Its amazing how just an hour or two a day can produce decent results. I just tried seeing if it would fit in the dishwasher and it wont, so it will live another day.lol

I would go nuts if i had to do a 8 hr stretch on a pinny clean up all at once.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
Mate I put my ramps through three times on high and with the other dishes and all good apparently you can even put ramps in with decals on at the lower temp and they will stay attached just pull them out before it goes to the dry cycle, all the best with gilligan!

Peter

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
Looks good Brett sounds as though you are really enjoying this restore

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
Looks good Brett sounds as though you are really enjoying this restore

thank mate. it will look great when done. lots n lots of new bulbs n led's will make a huge difference, plus all the other bits n pieces. Phoenix is next.  ^^^

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:57 PM »
Good work mate, looks like you're enjoying this resto, hour by hour you'll get there
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Keep up the good work Brett and keep the pics coming  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
I agree, it looks like you're having a heap of fun.

Keep the photos coming; I really enjoy reading about the restores, especially when I can see what you're talking about. Ever so slowly the mist is beginning to clear and I have half an idea what you guys are talking about  !@#

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
keep it up mate ^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
I wanted to get some advice please for regraining/cleaning larger pieces of metal for playfields. I will include a photo below of the pieces etc. Its mostly all too big for a tumbler, and even then, I dont think a tumbler will cut it if a wire wheel at high speed wont even cut the mustard.

Alot of the ball marks are very difficult to get out of the metal guides that the ball often flys thru. I have used a wire wheel on a drill before, but these metal bits are proving impossible to clean and get the marks out. I have used a very harsh wire wheel on a high speed drill, and have used Beakys bench grinder , again with avery very rough wire wheel, but the metal is just proving EXTREMELY hard, almost impossible to get the metal refinished to a decent level.

Just to clean one side of one large piece took at least 20 minutes, non stop. And the other side, which I want to clean properly will not work on a bench grinder/wheel etc.

* I was thinking commercial sand blasting the metal (but not too commercial so it stays undamaged etc OR even looking at having the metal acid dipped/cleaned/restripped that way.

Any advice, cause the wire wheel etc will not cut it on this set of very porous metal. Any help would be appreciated before I head off to sand blaster or acid dip land !  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »

I use green scotchbrite pads that you can find in a supermarket. You can regrain with windex and it should remove the marks. For really stubborn rails, I use 180 Grit wet / dry.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
Thanks Nino,  ^^^

I am off to Bunnings/Supermarket straight away !

Hopefully, photos of the finished sparkling shiny silver metal parts will follow tonight !

Excellent. Thanks heaps.  ^^^ ^^^