Author Topic: Sloppy sloppy seconds ! Yuk. Sited pins play like a bowl of custard !  (Read 1227 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
I know on those Stern games you can ajust the flipper/pops and sling coil power I wonder if the operator turned them all down? Who knows but something isn't right. Again cheers for all the story's above what an awesome read :)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I know on those Stern games you can ajust the flipper/pops and sling coil power I wonder if the operator turned them all down? Who knows but something isn't right. Again cheers for all the story's above what an awesome read :)

This had crossed my mind but wasn't sure if Stern had this as well as JJP... did a Google search but found nothing

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds

This had crossed my mind but wasn't sure if Stern had this as well as JJP... did a Google search but found nothing

A check of AC/DC manual for coil pulse (no pun intended):
Under Standard Adjustments #43 COIL PULSE POWER:
“Set to NORMAL, HARD or SOFT. Factory Default = NORMAL. When set to HARD, the coil pulse power is increased by 12.5% to the normal pulse rate. When set to SOFT the coil pulse is decreased by 12.5% of the normal pulse rate. This adjustment is provided to compensate for Low Line or High Line voltage conditions where the solenoids (coils) appear to be kicking too weak or too hard. Adjust as required.”
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:29:29 AM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Great read Nino.

It sounds like the pops and the flippers are turned down at Surfers TimeZone, then add in overheating and massively over used machines that require the pops and the flippers rebuilt and u have a batch of games that feel like the pops are down on power by 75 percent and the flippers are down to 50 percent.

I reckon everything on the game is hot from being on 16 plus hrs a day plus it's then played constantly for hours n hours on end and u get machines that play terribly. Personally, I reckon there has to be design faults and the games are now designed for low home use only playing. If it was designed for onsite flogging, it would stand up to a beating and not be so sloppy after only 3 months.
Don't get me wrong, any machine at TimeZone Surfers gets absolutely tortured, but they shld be designed to be flogged without suffering. We are only talking about beefing up the pops and the flippers. Two areas only that make or break how a game plays if the game plays sloppy.

My late 1998 and 1999 various Sega DMD pinnys I have being X Files, Star Wars Trilogy, Viper Night Drivin, Lost World JPark, Spacejam etc, have "SuperPops" which seem twice as powerful as the current Stern games, and the flipper systems seem twice as snappy and stronger. I collected all the concave Segas because they seemed very rugged.
Admittedly, if u play a Data East game or a Bally Williams game being a DMD with totally rebuilt flippers, the noise of the flippers is twice as noisy as the new Sterns, so maybe the current design of the new pinnys is designed to cut down a lot of noise ? Maybe the cost of noise reduction is a flipper system that is a bit or a lot weaker ?

Does anyone else notice how loud the flippers are on the 90,s DMD machines from all the manufacturers compared to the new Sterns.? I prefer quieter flippers and for HUO the Sterns are wonderful, but onsite and played to buggery and when hot, they are showing that the new stuff in the pops and flipper areas are not as robust.
Maybe the new coils and the new Spike System will improve the longevity of flipper rebuilds and Pop bumper area rebuilds for sited machines ??
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:28:35 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
I would guess that Stern may have returned to conventional twin coils to minimise Electro Magnetic Interference that the pulsed single coils would have caused.  The single coil interference may have created issues with the new spike system.