Author Topic: Automotive Paint supplies  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Automotive Paint supplies
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
If they are small pimples, this can happen if the paint dries as it leaves the gun. Keep your PSI low. 35 PSI should be ok for undercoats. It should go on smooth, but sometimes dry with pimples which are sanded out. The distance between the gun and the surface should be the same as the distance between your outstretches thumb to pinkie. Also, don't paint in the sun, and don't paint in less than 20 degrees temp outside.

It takes a lot of practice to get it right, and once you know the gun and the paint, you can make adjustments as you go along.

The Protec paints as described by Sinbad79 are very good to work with.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
Also, its worth noting that you should use a wood sealer underneath the primer so that you prevent the wood from drinking the primer.
Hi Sinbad79

Could you elaborate on the wood sealer. Is there a particular type? Do you spray it on or roll it on? etc. etc.

Cheers Dan

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
The lumps in the paint were unfortunately straight from the can - hence the strain suggestion is probably right on. But really I would not expect the need to strain a brand new tin of anything!

Therefore the pimples I was getting were the lumps in the can being ejected from the gun tip.

Good suggestion on spraying in the sunlight - yes I did do that yesterday!

Never the less, the surface is sanding very easily and the result looks pretty good. I do think I'll apply one more coat to ensure I'm happy with it.

Thanks all

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
By the looks of your first photo, you can still see the plywood grain patterns through your primer.
I'd be applying another couple thicker coats without sanding in between to try and build the layers to "fill" or minimise the grain effect - so that it isnt visible underneath your decals. maybe even skim these areas with some finishing putty / bog (2 part).

As for the wood sealer, its sprayed on, just go speak to an automotive paint shop (a good one) and describe to them what you're trying to achieve. Tell them you're painting a kitchen and want a sealer for underneath the primer you'll be using.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:22:57 PM by Sinbad79 »

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
Ok I said I wasn't going to, but SA Color's primer/sand/filler is crap ^.^

Used up the entire litre, and could not get anywhere near where I was happy.

Sanded a heap off, including the lumps that came from a brand new supply, and drove to Super Cheap Auto and purchased primer/filler off the shelf.

This had zero lumps, mixed beautifully and applied even better. The cabinet I think looks great, and is now ready for top coat.

When I compare the 2 products, it was chalk and cheese - now I have my fingers crossed the black acrylic from SA Color (already purchased!) doesn't cost me another trip to SCA - tomorrow will tell!!!

Thanks again for all the advice - cheers

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
Take the paint and primer back for a refund dude! Dont chance it.
Then go to SA paint supplies.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 08:22:30 PM »
Take the paint and primer back for a refund dude! Dont chance it.
Then go to SA paint supplies.

+1

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Just ensure that BEFORE you re apply the primer (from the new supplier), sand the cabinet with 180 Grit. You may have sanded using 800 Grit in anticipation for the topcoat. You need to take a step back before going forward. It is frustrating, but you are learning some valuable experience.

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
Thanks Nino, before I applied the SCA primer/filler, I did sand the cabinet, but it was only with 400 grit paper. I had already re-applied when I read your comments.

Top coat has been applied this morning and no lumps in the acrylic . . .

Now being no expert and never having painted a cabinet before my learning curve is HUGE.

I applied two lighter coats, covering up all the undercoat and then very lightly sanded with 1500 grit. Surface air blown and felt really smooth.

Another coat all over paying particular attention to edges and corners not covered by decals.

Now my question, where I applied a slightly heavier coat on the edges and corners the finish is nice and mostly smooth, the remainder of the cabinet has very small bumps.

Do I lightly rub back again with 1500 and leave it, decals will cover? and maybe just touch up any exposed areas not covered by decals? The paint shop also suggested the surface could be polished with car polish - would this affect decal adhesion?

I'm getting there....cheers

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re:
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Any bump will stand out like a zit on a bride with decals.

If must be flat and level.  Dont rush it as once decals are down you will kick yourself.  Its all in the prep

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »
Thanks Nino, before I applied the SCA primer/filler, I did sand the cabinet, but it was only with 400 grit paper. I had already re-applied when I read your comments.

Top coat has been applied this morning and no lumps in the acrylic . . .

Now being no expert and never having painted a cabinet before my learning curve is HUGE.

I applied two lighter coats, covering up all the undercoat and then very lightly sanded with 1500 grit. Surface air blown and felt really smooth.

Another coat all over paying particular attention to edges and corners not covered by decals.

Now my question, where I applied a slightly heavier coat on the edges and corners the finish is nice and mostly smooth, the remainder of the cabinet has very small bumps.

Do I lightly rub back again with 1500 and leave it, decals will cover? and maybe just touch up any exposed areas not covered by decals? The paint shop also suggested the surface could be polished with car polish - would this affect decal adhesion?

I'm getting there....cheers

Cabinet prep before primer should be with 180 Grit. This allows the primer to really bite into the wood. No sanding inbetween the 2-3 coats of primer.
Then use 800 Grit after the primer is done before the basecoat. Any higher grit, will cause adhesion problems for the topcoat. This won't be an issue for you, as you are placing a decal and the aim is to have a flat finish. But if you were stencilling, the adhesion of the stencil COULD be stronger than the adhesion of the basecoat to the primer. Remove the stencil and off comes the base !

Once I'm done with the basecoat, rub slightly with a red scotchbrite and then before applying the decal, wipe down with a tack rag - VERY IMPORTANT. Apply the decal immediately.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »
Decals adhere better to a completely smooth finish.. they are a bugger to take off glass as its a dead flat surface but very easy to take off something like acrylic as its a rough surface. Personally, I wouldn't be using the scotchbrite at all... close to mirror finish as possible and then apply

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 12:26:00 AM »
Just make sure you leave the paint to cure completely, otherwise the decals will bubble.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Scitchbrite is also good for imperfections. Pimples can be very hard to see, but they can sometimes be caught by the scotchbrite fibers. It is almost impossible to find them, but one will always find there way under the applied decal.

Offline flippnaussie

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
In the auto industry the pimples are called solvent boil. Mostly occurs when one coat isn't dry enough and the second coat reacts with the first.

Always filter your paint when being use in a spray gun.

Good to see the finish isn't too bad from that crummy paint.

Simon.