Author Topic: Most popular pins (other than ACDC & WOZ)  (Read 788 times)

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Most popular pins (other than ACDC & WOZ)
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
This was one of the topics David Stein raised during his guest seminar at the recent Pinball Expo 2012.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2012/index.html

The following list are the most popular pinballs based on actual sales and requested orders over the last 3 years . Is anyone surprised by any of the results?

High Speed 2 - The Getaway
Fish Tales
Doctor Who
Indiana Jones
The Addams Family
Whitewater
Batman - The Dark Knight
Spider-Man
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Terminator 2
Star Wars (DE)

For those that haven't done so if you have a chance it's worth listening to the audio of his speech.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Most popular pins (other than ACDC & WOZ)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »
Im suprised to see Dr WHO in there and not IJ or TZ

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »
I'm not surprised at all. But it is not an accurate summation at all. Where's the EMs and SS ?

A "request list" and ACTUAL sales list" are two different things all together.

Top 10 Pinball requests that I have had over the past two years ;

1. KISS
2. Fathom
3. Cirqus Voltaire
3. Adams Family
4. Paragon
5. Guns N Roses
6. Fireball
7. ST TNG
8. Creature From the Black Lagoon
9. Terminator 3
10. Beat Time

Honorable Mentions - Joker Poker, Jacks Open, Medusa, Viking, Viper, Funhouse, Medieval Madness, Diner..

I've never been asked for Spiderman, Batman or High Speed 2.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
I think its based on what stock they could buy in and flick off again .

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
I think its based on what stock they could buy in and flick off again .

I'd give a  :lol for that, but it's probably true!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »

10. Beat Time

Wierd request, some beatles fans around? not a fan of the 'angular artwork' around that period

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
didnt know WOZ had hit the market yet... who's got one?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »

10. Beat Time

Wierd request, some beatles fans around? not a fan of the 'angular artwork' around that period

Absolutely. In fact, Gavin asked me to locate this title the other day. It is a very sought after title. A bit like Nugent. Owners don't part with this game, and collectors ask for it quite a lot.

It is more of a marketing ploy to "convince" an audience that DMD's are in higher demand, and that the DMDs outsell all other formats. That's simply untrue. Only 5 years ago, dealers would not go near EMs - Lame excuses were - "Can't get parts", "too hard to fix" or "no one knows how to repair them"..

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »
It also depends on the buyer
is it someone wanting to buy something he played when he was younger?
is it someone buying just the one game for the rumpus room?

is it a hobyest like US?

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »
A "request list" and ACTUAL sales list" are two different things all together.

^This.

How many Batman machines are they actually selling when Stern only made around 1200 of them? It's like saying Iron Man/Family Guy is one our best sellers when they made so few and are scarce at best.  !@#

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
Yes, but isnt it true that DMD does outsell all other formats and arent DMD machines the most popular sold machine in Australia.

100 containers have been brought into Australia in the last 3 or 4 years, and 80 to 90 percent of all the containers that I have ever seen are always full of DMD machines..with little of anything else.

Batman - Stern was probably asked for alot because the cabinet art was absolutely awesome, and I can see why alot of newbies/first time buyers would want one for their gamesrooms for sure. I think it is a bit different in each state. In QLD, 99 percent of collectors have 99 percent of machines being DMD from what I have seen in my travels over 4 or more yrs... Also, with DMD machines being much more modern, it is likely that u will attract newbies to the market with the latest technology being DMD than other older formats. I thought the Bumper list was pretty spot on as a general DMD list.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:55:47 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »
That's from only one seller, and I'm sure each seller has different clients, I doubt that is reflection on aus wide, you would get a better idea of popular machines in Australia by this forum owner list

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Yes, but isnt it true that DMD does outsell all other formats and arent DMD machines the most popular sold machine in Australia.

100 containers have been brought into Australia in the last 3 or 4 years, and 80 to 90 percent of all the containers that I have ever seen are always full of DMD machines..with little of anything else.

Batman - Stern was probably asked for alot because the cabinet art was absolutely awesome, and I can see why alot of newbies/first time buyers would want one for their gamesrooms for sure. I think it is a bit different in each state. In QLD, 99 percent of collectors have 99 percent of machines being DMD from what I have seen in my travels over 4 or more yrs... Also, with DMD machines being much more modern, it is likely that u will attract newbies to the market with the latest technology being DMD than other older formats. I thought the Bumper list was pretty spot on as a general DMD list.

100 containers is way off the mark. There's no way of pinpointing how many arrive, but it it not that high. I'm not sure if 80% are in fact ALL DMD machines, it may well be, but there's a good reason why it is so high and it is NOT "demand" for DMDs, it is because Dealers target Addams Family, Twilight Zone etc etc. Dealers don't have the expertise to recondition SS or EMs. It is also not economical to attempt this kind of work.

Here's an example ;

Addams Family - Would take 30 hours to do properly. Under 20 Hours is simply taking short cuts like not replacing pop bumper assemblies, not replacing faulty globe holders or not rebuilding assemblies. This work is not undertaken to ensure there are service calls in the future. To replace parts is optional, as most would be good. Ramps are always a problem - so replace them. So with a minimum effort, a quick return and high profit.

Eight Ball - Would take 30 - 40 hours to do properly. 100-120 hours for a full restore including repaint. Firstly, there no dealers out there with the necessary skills to do the job properly within the maximum 30 hours they would be prepared to spend. More effort required = less profit. Not economically viable.

So from a PROFIT point of view - It is MUCH easier to find an Addams Family, and put less effort with maximum profit. Therefore, it is within the interest of a Dealer to AVOID SS and EM machines, or, sell them as projects. It is just not economically viable. So there's the 80% Brett mentions. However, it does not represent the DEMAND for the EMs and SS. Up until 5 years ago - NO ONE was bringing them in. That is a fact. The ONLY SS and EMs were "container fillers" - that were freebies (unless they were KISS or Playboy).

DMDs will ALWAYS outsell SS and EM. That is only because dealers target them. That's the bottom line.

But in the last 10-15 years, there has been an increased demand in SS and EMs. I've often come across collectors looking for DMDs, and when they find out that they can buy SS or EM, they quickly re assess their option - "Oh so you DO know how to fix them" ? Most importers don't know their product, and don't cover all eras.

Case in point - My Facebook Business page has been up for a week. I've highlighted DMDs, SS and EMs. The FIRST request was for a Bally KISS. The requests to restore or source are in order SS, DMD and then EM.

The comment "80% of the containers imported are DMDs" has NOTHING to do with DEMAND. It is what the importer has targeted. It is also what the importer WANTS you to believe. Another point to consider is the saturation of DMDs. While dealers / importers complete they lose market share of the SS and EMs. All comes down to product knowledge. My strategy has always been the SS and EM market, and funnily enough, the demand for SS machines is higher than DMD. EMs are not as high.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:09 PM »
A mate of mine has done apx nine containers, pinshed would have double that, mark has done a dozen min, bike city has done dozen, wayne has done close to ten, that's fifty containers already, plus oscars ten, Ddaz has done four plus, plus oz pinball has done seven plus, amd does one hundred machines a year, that's prob a dozen in five years, game works has done five, Kenny priest has done apx eight, another guy in qld has done three I know of, judge boz in Adelaide has done two or three, plus ninos two or three, the list goes on, it's easily gets to over one hundred containers.....u wouldn't think so but it adds up very very quickly.....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:06:13 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 12:14:54 AM »
It's all about the money money money   ()
IMO Nino's on the money .