Author Topic: Will scoop protectors effect play?  (Read 192 times)

Offline Discodan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Will scoop protectors effect play?
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
Hi Guys

Just looking for some quick advice based on the collective experience of the forum. Will a scoop protector (such as http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43_74&products_id=89) protrude above the playfield and effect play on slow balls? It seems like it would which isn't great, I like it when sometimes you get an accidental roll-in to the chair as freebie. One option would be to recess the playfield so that the protector sits flush with the field but I'm not sure how keen I am about taking to it with the dremel

cheers
d

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Will scoop protectors effect play?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »
I have placed cliffys on many machines and they have never interfeered with the ball.

I dont think u could go wrong with one from RTBB. A good product.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
Hi Guys

Just looking for some quick advice based on the collective experience of the forum. Will a scoop protector (such as http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43_74&products_id=89) protrude above the playfield and effect play on slow balls? It seems like it would which isn't great, I like it when sometimes you get an accidental roll-in to the chair as freebie. One option would be to recess the playfield so that the protector sits flush with the field but I'm not sure how keen I am about taking to it with the dremel

cheers
d

I've installed countless Cliffy protectors over the years and never had an issue.  Just be sure to install as per his instructions and you be good to go.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
Hi Guys

cheers
d

I've installed countless Cliffy protectors over the years and never had an issue.  Just be sure to install as per his instructions and you be good to go.

+1

They are a great product, but make sure you repair the section you are covering FIRST, or the Cliffy will form to the damage and you achieve nothing. I'm seeing a lot of "reconditioned" games with Cliffys covering damaged areas without repairing first.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
When fitted properly, they do not interfere with the ball (they are very thin)

But I have seen them not fitted properly and left floating 5mm above the playfield

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
Agree with everyone else - i see them as an essential item where available - in fact if rtbb doesn't have them, i will source from overseas.  As Nino says, fix any wear first (i use knead it), then install.

No point in having a top notch playfield, only to be flogged out over time

Offline Discodan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »
OK, thanks for the advise guys in particular about repairing the damage first. I would have just laid it over the existing area

cheers
d

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
When fitted properly, they do not interfere with the ball (they are very thin)

But I have seen them not fitted properly and left floating 5mm above the playfield

Yeah one of the ones (the one that was already there) on my BSD is like that, good 3mm above the playfield on the side the ball comes in.. going to have to re-install it.. most I have found use double sided tape on the non screwed down side to stop them lifting..
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro