Author Topic: Outhole solenoid stays energized  (Read 486 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Outhole solenoid stays energized
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
well done on the repair

It would be a better option to overhaul / rebuild the driver board than to replace it.
But if it is working fine then leave it as it is.

I would never put a board with surface mount devices in any of my machines.

I think it's time for a Home pin, Stern / Bally driver board to come into existence.  &&

Yes, it is on the list. One thing is for certain, it will be made with COMMON, easy to find, through hole parts.

I will get rid of the CA3081 transistor arrays the same way we have done with the Zac MPU and I am still pondering the 5V regulator BUT I refuse to go switched mode like some other after market board makers - it just doesn't cut it for these machines in my experience.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

Great to hear the game is working - well done on the repair  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline mhbr549

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
OK all, after thinking I had this thing 100% working, I have now realized that none of the WOW lights light up at all anytime during the gameplay, but they do during the self test.  I figured instead of starting a new thread, I'd just tack on to this one.   Any thoughts on the WOW lights?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:27:59 PM by mhbr549 »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
If they work on self test which is a CPU controlled activation, then from CPU onwards is OK... your problem most likely is with the signal coming  from the PF... Been a while since ive worked on Bally/ Stern, but nake sure that whatever switches are required to activate WOW are operational and making closure ( test with a meter).. follow these to the driver board and make sure signal is there... if this is OK, then you have a driver board problem.. normally a decoder IC which sends the signal to the CPU and most likely some sort of buffer chip.. 74XX etc

Offline mhbr549

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
Allright, I guess I now understand why they say "if all else fails, read the directions".  The WOW lights only come on when all three rocket bonus lanes are equal.  They are working fine.  !)# Sorry to ask for help for nothing, but thanks!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »
Allright, I guess I now understand why they say "if all else fails, read the directions".  The WOW lights only come on when all three rocket bonus lanes are equal.  They are working fine.  !)# Sorry to ask for help for nothing, but thanks!

Do like an easy fix!