Author Topic: Is John Popadiuk really working on Thunderbirds Pinball?  (Read 18091 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Was this PODcast interview conducted before or after the Pavlov article?
******ed to a degree too! is my guess. Still not much definite apart from luminescant printing stuff?
Yes I am still sceptical and I hope HOMEPIN proves me wrong.

The only definite I got from listening is that I'm glad I never put money down.

Apart from that, the overwhelming message I got is that it was "someone else's fault" no matter what the subject matter (Chinese Govt internet censorship, importation quarantine laws and standards of China, the poor bugger Sid who also got tarred with the magnetised ball fallout, Chinese copyright laws and business practices, Mom and Pop manufacturers with bad QC and slow production, the decibel level of an unrelated arcade expo, lawyers who don't forward estate documentation in a timely manner, suppliers who allegedly collude with other customers not to supply new startups) and the list goes on.

This is not "straight shooting", this is blame shifting to avoid taking ownership of the mistakes you have made along the way and should have anticipated given "10 plus years of doing business in China". For one example, wood standards and certification for imports/exports are not some unique requirement as every country in the world has basic fumigation/certification requirements like this (even China).

The mark of a true business owner is that if you choose to operate a business in a foreign country then you must work within the framework of that countries laws, you don't turn around and whine about said laws when it doesn't suit you, or admit to intentionally breaching their laws by deliberately smuggling in product (via your employee no less) from across the border.

I do hope that the early adopter depositors do get to see "something" in September (whatever something is defined as - a fully working machine? an empty cabinet shell with artwork? a translite? who knows?) since it looks highly likely based on the stammering response that you won't have a machine delivered to your doorstep in 2016.

I will add that I am so glad that one of the few things we actually confirmed (yet again) is that the machine whenever it is eventually released will not be PC based. My fully working never skipped a beat WOZLE just shed a tear. ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:37:29 PM by pinsanity »

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Hey Rob did you get the wiring harness from AMD? Or was Gary making it up lol

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
it was a good interview, and for those that have already got money down I hope you get your game soon but I still fear that September won't be it, as if he is still deciding on a screen and then the related translite changes, programming etc. I also wonder when he mentions multiple other pinball games, great to have some others up for consideration but if budget is a issue that budget should be spent on getting the current one finished not deviating to other ones.

Look forward to a release.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline carbonROD

• Forum Posts:
  • CANBERRA
    • PINHEADZ PINBALL PODcast
Hey Rob did you get the wiring harness from AMD? Or was Gary making it up lol

HAHA...yeah, I did. AMD sent it straight across last week. Already installed. You can hear the amazement in my voice that WWE is still getting some love in at STERN. ;)
LIKE the Pinheadz PODcast on FACEBOOK or listen at iTUNES & STITCHER now!

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Boy oh boy, some here are so negative and down on me for reasons that completely escape me????? Tall poppy syndrome? I have no idea?

Swinks, it would be very shortsighted of Homepin to ONLY work and focus on a SINGLE project - I made it clear in the Pinheadz Podcast interview that we have done some "preliminary work" on our second title and I also explained why - did that explanation not make sense to you? It would be foolish to start building Thunderbirds and ONLY THEN start work on a second machine. This would add a very long time to the release of the second title as other startups have discovered.

We also have dedicated staff working on other arcade projects but I certainly won't bother to tell people about them as there will be those determined to "bring me down" for their own reasons.

I am not and have not "shifted" any blame for my situation to anyone else at all and, for the record, Sid WAS 100% responsible for the ball issue. Ask him yourself. This was (and still is) my strategy for "not doing everything myself". The balls were recalled promptly and in the correct, professional manner, via Homepin agents. I did not take out front page ads in newspapers because it really is not that much of an issue. SOME games magnetised the balls quickly NOT all and there are still many people happily using these balls today. There was (and still is to date) only ONE person who complained the balls were "flaking" - not one other person has EVER complained of this issue so I have to conclude it was something other than the ball flaking in their case. In the end, that buyer returned half of the balls purchased and I refunded in full including express post so that is the end of that matter with that buyer as far as I am concerned.

I have one report back from ball testing and I have considered its findings. We have a new (different) batch in Australia being tested currently. It is all a learning curve.

If anyone else has issues with the balls I imagine they would do what any other normal person with a retail purchase they are unhappy with would do - return it to the place of purchase to discuss the matter and ask for a refund should they want one. I fail to see what the issue is here, just people blowing things out of proportion for the sake of stirring trouble as far as I can see? Refunds have always been offered should people want them.

As far as "complying with the laws of the country in China" naturally I am doing everything by the book here as far as possible. I use those words carefully as there is no such thing in China as doing things 100% by the books - even large companies have to do many things that we in the west would find either unusual or certainly not normal business ethics or practices. That is a fact and the reality on the ground doing business in China. Those suggesting otherwise do not have a full idea of what happens here even if they may deal with China. Being on the ground, in my own factory I experience it daily, from the local policeman who arrives out of the blue to "sell me a security system" that I don't want or need but guess what - I will get burgled next week if I don't "buy his protection" - to the clerk behind the counter at the business registration office who demands 100rmb to "make sure the paperwork is done promptly".

This is REALITY, and FACT and just how business is done in China - like it or NOT! It is not made up fairy tales by a politically correct keyboard warrior on this site primarily to cause me trouble.

Also, for the record, I have not amended or deleted ANY posts either on AP or AA and the moderators haven't either. If you can't find a post or picture then it is probably down to the crappy search facilities NOT because of any perceived censorship. That is a nonsense statement.

To close I think it is pretty easy to see why I don't post here much - I really don't need the aggressive niggling and negativity by a few on here especially, and for no good reason that I can determine?

I have been open, honest and transparent about the actual reasons for project holdups and to those that refuse to see that I really hope you never have to deal with the issues I have had to in the past year. It has been devastating to me personally and also financially. Things can only improve from here.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
TBAG 2017?

*!@
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
To close I think it is pretty easy to see why I don't post here much - I really don't need the aggressive niggling and negativity by a few on here especially, and for no good reason that I can determine?

I think that is also why a lot of others have given up posting on AP.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth

Also, for the record, I have not amended or deleted ANY posts either on AP or AA and the moderators haven't either. If you can't find a post or picture then it is probably down to the crappy search facilities NOT because of any perceived censorship. That is a nonsense statement.

your record is broken then mate!
You can BUY your way into AA, not on here or Pinside.
Goodbye.
I have finally had enough of your garbage and have officially now got you on ignore ( yep you even beat Cavey to that one ) and I refuse to listen to anymore of your dribble.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Boy oh boy, some here are so negative and down on me for reasons that completely escape me????? Tall poppy syndrome? I have no idea?

Mike you are very abrupt, rude and shoot from the hip fast at times, I don't think it is tall poppy syndrome more that you are idolised over at AA and therefore protected and people are not game to ask a question as they will be fired upon from everyone and it was like that here up to recently - way it is but maybe here and pinside people feel they can be honest and ask the questions that everyone really wants to know the answer to.

Swinks, it would be very shortsighted of Homepin to ONLY work and focus on a SINGLE project - I made it clear in the Pinheadz Podcast interview that we have done some "preliminary work" on our second title and I also explained why - did that explanation not make sense to you? It would be foolish to start building Thunderbirds and ONLY THEN start work on a second machine. This would add a very long time to the release of the second title as other startups have discovered.

I heard it and understood but I thought it was a contradiction that money is tight and you are restricting projects yet you are working on another pinball game when you don't have the first done (- does that make sense) but that is your choice and I wish you luck otherwise I do agree with you when things are rolling along smoothly that is the perfect business approach to be working on the next project or 2 while the previous one is in production.

As for the ball issue, I think that is sad that you blame Sid 100%, it's your business and you promoted the products so some of the ownership sits with you.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Gee whiz Mike, the way people are acting, did you steal their cornflakes?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Mike you are very abrupt, rude and shoot from the hip fast at times, I don't think it is tall poppy syndrome more that you are idolised over at AA and therefore protected and people are not game to ask a question as they will be fired upon from everyone and it was like that here up to recently - way it is but maybe here and pinside people feel they can be honest and ask the questions that everyone really wants to know the answer to.

I heard it and understood but I thought it was a contradiction that money is tight and you are restricting projects yet you are working on another pinball game when you don't have the first done (- does that make sense) but that is your choice and I wish you luck otherwise I do agree with you when things are rolling along smoothly that is the perfect business approach to be working on the next project or 2 while the previous one is in production.

As for the ball issue, I think that is sad that you blame Sid 100%, it's your business and you promoted the products so some of the ownership sits with you.

I am far from protected on AA as some might think. If people feel they shouldn't make a mischievous comment that's a good thing in my view and it should apply to ALL online sites. It might stop some of the absolute crap that goes on.

The "work" we are doing on a second machine involves labour BUT no money. I just don't understand why that is so hard to grasp? Money is needed to pay for moulds and parts - one persons labour for a month is a few hundred dollars. Moulds, dies and parts cost tens of thousands and that is money I don't currently have.

Naturally I ultimately "take the blame" for what happens in the business but the reality is I had ZERO to do with the purchase, testing or packing of the balls - NO INPUT AT ALL. So yes, it is 100% Sid's doing and that is simply what I was answering in response to the ridiculous and hysterical claims being ranted and raved on about. Sid knows and is busy fixing the issues and again, I HAVE NO INVOLVEMENT in the new balls but you can be certain Sid is now acutely aware of all issues surrounding them. Crapping on about the finer points of who, what, why, where doesn't help neither does the speculation and guesswork by those who have NO INTEREST other than to create trouble for me.

You may like to step back should you make a mistake in your work and "blame the boss" but it doesn't work that way here.

Same as those speculating on who is designing our machines, when will they be released, what colour will the packing box be? Give it a rest. You cannot comprehend how busy we all are here, in particular me and I really don't have time for the childish carry on that some like to get involved in.

In any case, generally I'm wasting my time commenting because no matter what I say there will be those that choose to pick at me for reasons only they understand and I most certainly don't intend "justifying" anything that I do or explaining in any great detail why.

Some of the comments certainly make me chuckle however as it is a direct window to the intelligence level of the poster in most instances.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Gee whiz Mike, the way people are acting, did you steal their cornflakes?

You would think so wouldn't you - the ones I have ZERO time for are the speculators that don't have a cane toad in the race.........they have no reason at all to comment one way or another and would be better served delivering meals on wheels.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Yeah you have to have money down on a game to have a opinion or to be able to comment on it.
 :lol
What a load of BS!

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Well this just plain sucks!
this is not from Aussie Pinball site

Log Out
Settings
My Profile
Notifications
Welcome, Oldskool1969

Home
Forum
New Posts:0Private MessagesFAQCalendarCommunityForum ActionsQuick LinksForum Rules
What's New?
Sponsors
Chat Room
AA Wiki
Site Navigation

Links
Submit
Advanced Search
SettingsEdit Ignore List
Ignore List
Add a Member to Your List...
Sorry Homepin is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.
User Name

If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Yeah you have to have money down on a game to have a opinion or to be able to comment on it.
 :lol
What a load of BS!

You can make any comment or have any opinion you like - it is the personal attacks I am fed up with. Many have no idea just what I am doing on a daily basis yet feel they are experts on "everything" - they clearly are not.