Author Topic: LAMP MATRIX CIRCUIT ?  (Read 201 times)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
LAMP MATRIX CIRCUIT ?
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »
Have my Pool Sharks 80% working.
Only problem i am struggling with is I have only 1/2 the feature lights working (refer picts) -The ones that do light up will flash in attract mode & will work when activated.
Have removed & refitted the plugs on the cpu,interconnect & power board -all seem to be secure.
If one globe is out does it affect any others in this circuit ? Has new MPU board & Beaky has overhauled all other boards,so i dont think the problem is in the boards.
Still trying to get my head around this lamp matrix setup.

pinballaustralia.com

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: LAMP MATRIX CIRCUIT ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:15:09 AM »
Looking at your (red) marked lamps in the matrix-grid, it doesn't look like a matrix issue at all.
Typically a matrix transistor blowing out will take out an entire row or column in the matrix diagram, but yours are all over the place.

It looks more like dud globe-sockets issue instead.

When the game is in attract mode, have you wiggled any of the 'dead' lamps to see if they momentarily flash?

If 1 globe blows out, it won't affect any others.
(I'm ASSUMING you've already done a complete globe overhall to eliminate dud globes out of the formula??)

Also be in mind that not ALL lamps are flashed in attract mode on various pinnies, so i'm also assuming they used to work and now don't ????

hope it helps,
MM.

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Hi Millsy,
You have the circled pins on the bottom board, it is J3 or J7 as the lamp matrix works off J6 & J7.

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »
Might also pay to check/reseat the connectors on each individual lamp board under the PF.

You may also need to reflow the solder at the header pins on these boards.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:33:28 AM by Steevsee »

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
As MM has said a blown / faulty transistor will take out a whole column or row. And I totally agree with not all lamps are used in attract mode.
also check the lamp boards under the play field as stevsee suggested
It would be a good idea to go into the diagnostics and do a lamp test. some times there can be problems with the black / grey lamp holders that hold the lamps on the lamp PCB's. best way to test these is by swapping one that is working (lamp and lamp holder) with one that is not working and see if the non working lamp works when it is put into the known working position and if the working lamp and lamp holder works in the dead lamp position
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Yes - the problem was the obvious  &^& - Bad contacts at the #555 globes & sockets.
Why I didnt check first -Beats me  &^&
pinballaustralia.com