Author Topic: MARVELous  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
MARVELous
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
G’day
Last week I picked up Sterns latest, IRONMAN

This is the third NIB game I have added
It makes a nice companion to Batman and Spideman

Stern was in quite a rush to get these out, the software was only at V0.55 (I have since upgraded to the latest V1.4), but even in its original form the game was quite fun and playable (unlike Batman at V2.0)

Stern has continued with using photo-elements and graphics for the art package, which for the most part look great

Stern has cut back on the complexity of its game with this machine (I guess to save a few $$), which for me is a good thing
Less ‘toys’ makes for a more open playfield (you can easily see what you are supposed to be aiming for), also there is less places for the ball to get stuck (an issue for Batman owners), also less mechanical parts is less to break down

The sounds/voices calls are a combination of taken from the movie (sound effects and music and voices of some characters)
Sterns voice over guy is also used to tell you what shots to make (cheaper than using the actor who did the voice of ‘Jarvis’)

I have only had a few games so far, so I might be missing a few of the details

This picture shows most of the shots, from the left side there are four targets, matched on the right with three on the right, these are for spelling out ‘IRONMAN’ and advancing your IRON MAN from Mark 1 to Mark 5

Next is a spinner to the right orbit which takes your ball to the top of the playfield and the two lanes at the top right

There are 4 ‘Drone’ targets to be aimed for (Two are hidden behind ‘IRONMONGER)(the 4th is next to the right ramp), hard to see if the lamps are lit on these as Stern uses a dark color for their blue inserts, so I will have to get some LEDs in there

‘WAR MACHINE’, this is a tight shot to make, and there is a kicker at the top so the ball comes out at lightning speed

Then comes the ‘Austin Powers’ ramp that returns the ball to the left flipper

Then there is a lane that takes your ball to the Pop Bumper area

‘IRON MONGER’ sits in the middle of the playfield, he rises up (similar mech to ‘The Ringmaster’) and hitting him to spell out ‘MONGER’, hitting him also briefly activates the magnet in front of him which diverts your ball a little

‘WHIPLASH’ has two targets set behind another magnet, when ‘Whiplash’ multiball is achieved, you ball is held and a clip of ‘Whiplash’ lashing his whips is played out on the DMD

We then have the right ramp, which is steep, and if your ball does not get to the top it may return and go straight through the flippers

And lastly there is the spinner guarding the right orbit which takes the ball to the top lanes

CONCLUSION
‘IRONMAN’ is a fun game
Yes, it is missing a few bells and whistles of some of Sterns other games but for this player this is a good thing

I like this game
Pete

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: MARVELous
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »

Sweet collection there Pete.

Great pictures and review - from what I've seen - the playfield is a lot more simple (less cluttered?), which means you can actually "see" what shots you need to make. I prefer an open table with difficult ruleset, than a playfield full of toys.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
I prefer an open table with difficult ruleset, than a playfield full of toys.

It's what makes AFM great, and maybe IM might benefit too.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline madness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
So does that make you the grand CC colector  :lol or should it be SC collector :lol

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
So does that make you the grand CC colector  :lol or should it be SC collector :lol

I hope not ;)

I will make sure the next one I buy is an EM  ^^^
(or at least an SS made before 1990)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:49:35 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »
That's pretty cool
nothing quite like a brand new pinny  *.*

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
Jeez Pete!!!

Youre in the wrong part mate..... why aint you in Brisbane??

i REALLY want to play this game and to have NIB... well thats just dangling gold carrots  ^&( ^&(

Bloody jealous here... NIB machines are a dream for most of us and if i did buy NIB then Iron man would be it... love the look of it, love the theme.

Well done mate.. awesome line up  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
Jeez Pete!!!

Youre in the wrong part mate..... why aint you in Brisbane??

i REALLY want to play this game and to have NIB... well thats just dangling gold carrots  ^&( ^&(

Bloody jealous here... NIB machines are a dream for most of us and if i did buy NIB then Iron man would be it... love the look of it, love the theme.

Well done mate.. awesome line up  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Maybe you will have to come up with a Stern illumnated sign and feel compeled to deliver it in person  :D

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »
hi Pete

Nice collection their.

Just one question regarding the Iron man pinball is when the ball rolls over IRON MONGER in the middle of the playfield does it jump or bounce over, as just worried that mine doesn't site level with the playfield and it may damage the playfield at a latter date. !!!

Over all, good game IMO and still running ver1.4, up to ver 1.8 i think.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:48:09 PM »
Very nice Pete  *%*