Author Topic: IJ - Grail pin restore  (Read 2233 times)

Offline flex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: IJ - Grail pin restore
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
WOW !

That's one hell of a job ahead of you - but take your time and it will be the centrepiece of your collection. If this is the Holy Grail - don't be afraid to spend some serious $ as it will keep it's value.

IJ "BAD" playfield - Use this to practice touch up work.

IJ "GOOD" playfield - Use what you have learnt and apply to this playfield. Alternatively, send the playfield to TIM at HRP. Touch up and clearcoat will be the best there is out there !

IJ Cabinet VS Popeye - Don't part out Popeye. This can be saved. Look at a NEW cabinet from HRP - New decals with a finished cabinet to match the playfield and you will be amazed !

OLD parts - get them replated. No need to buy everything new !

This is a really interesting thread - so keep the updates coming, and ask as many questions as you like to keep the ball rolling !

Thanks for the tips!
Re Popeye. I was thinking the same, I hate parting stuff out, and would also prefer a nice new cab over restoring this one, but there is just so much needed to make it a playable machine. I am guessing that at least $2500 - $3500 would need to be spent on it to get it working, and you can buy fully functioning games for that much! Also, all the cabinet parts are needed for the IJ cab (brackets, bolts, hinges, the plate in the headbox that holds the boards, etc).

I will be making the extra bottom cab from scratch (I have made two prior to this). Last I checked it cost about $1000 more overall to buy a new one (freight is a killer for me) compared to me making it myself.

Regarding the plating, definatly keen on doing this, who would you recommend? Dont mind shipping this stuff to someone with good service and product.