Author Topic: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
Here are a few pics of the Zaccaria Universe machine i picked up thanks to Tony ^^^

Its still packed up in the car as i write this, but i got a few pics on my phone yesterday arvo of the backbox and backglass coz it was easy and quick to take outta the car for a few pics. the backglass has some flaking as can be seen in the pics, but after my Dracula glass restore im pretty sure i can pretty this one up without too much drama.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:21:49 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Mitch' next project.. Zaccaria Universe
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »
more pics... notice the back door for the backbox.. i guess someone needed some metal to repair or build something!! yet again im amazed by what some people do to these machines :lol

i'll post some more pics tomorrow when i get the game home. (im posting these from a friends computer). the playfield is in AWESOME condition and wont take much work at all to restore $#$

so playfield/ cab pics etc will be posted tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:40:29 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

Great score, Mitch - another game for the resto queue - looking forward to it.

&&
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:38 AM »
Nice one mitch looking forward to the restore.  That missing corner is a nice touch??? !@#

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »
Here are some more pics as promised. As can be seen in these pics the playfield is in great condition, the only wear marks are some flipper drag.

Plastics are also in great shape. Just the bumper caps look a bit crappy. Two of the drop targets are broken too, I should be able to make these myself so im not at all worried about these.

Offline Astroboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »
Wow, that looks nice. Looking forward to see it all sorted!
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
more pics

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »
And here is what I was greeted with when I lifted the playfield at home today. The 1st pic is the outhole switch.. theres no way that could’ve EVER worked!!! (I didn’t even bother lifting the PF for a look when I picked up the game).

Notice the two stepper unit pics, the bakelite switch PCBs on the two units mounted to the bottom of the PF are both damaged.. one must’ve worn out and was repaired with bits of thin metal soldered onto the PCB, and the other had the bottom section snapped off and completely missing ( I only discovered this one after switching the game on to see if anything worked). Seeing this my heart sank and I began to have thoughts that I might’ve wasted my money on this machine, but after thinking about it for a while I have a plan to repair these stepper units boards. *%*

Also notice the melted insulation on the yellow wires in the score motor switches in the last pic.

I’d decided first thing to do was to see what did and didn’t work. Initially not much happened, the score reels tried to reset, some did reset ok but a couple were sluggish so I just reset them by hand for the moment. Flippers, bumpers and slings all worked (good start), but none of the scoring relays would latch, I eventually found a switch in the score motor that completes the latch circuit for the relays and opens the circuit after points are scored (readjusted the switch). I’ve got heaps more to do yet.. outhole relay still not latching, scoring switches are activating the 100, 1k, 10k point relays but the reels are not advancing which is causing coils to lock on, because the latch circuit is not being broken EOS switch on the reels. (I worked this out by advancing the reels by hand, when the reel coil plunger is pushed in the score relays reset and the locked on coils release.

I’ll get there eventually!!!

There was no manual or schematic with this game so I’m flying blind with the repairs. I do have some of it working, I gave the seized stepper units a quick clean up (I’ll restore them properly later) and have adjusted a few switches. I’ll get it all working first before I do any cleaning repainting etc. I definitely have my work cut out for me with the electrical/mechanical repairs to this one!!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:41:53 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »

I think you could reproduce or repair that stepper bakerlite. Luckily, there looks to be one wiper on one "track". Not as bad as it looks.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »
Mitch,

I parted out a Zac EM years ago (like over 10 years ago) - will have a look around over the next few days and see if those parts are still here.

If they are, they are yours!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
thanks Tony, thats an awesome offer, no probs if you dont have any of those bits as i can easily make them.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »

I think you could reproduce or repair that stepper bakerlite. Luckily, there looks to be one wiper on one "track". Not as bad as it looks.

if Tony doesnt have the bits i need, i'll make the stepper unit discs out of fibreglass pcb. will be heaps stronger than bakelite

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »
well i've been messing around, on and off trying to get this game up and running for a few days now... and to be honest i'm not really getting anywhere much with it!!!  !@# its really startin to piss me off. Having no schematics is not helping either, so i think im gonna leave it for a while, and have a break from it.

Im even having thoughts of maybe selling it off to someone else who might have more patience for it :lol
Honestly though i've NEVER had any game.. EM or SS, that has given me as much trouble trying to get it going. it sure is turning into a real headache for me.. maybe i'll have to change my username again.. lol

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:00:28 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »
After your magic resto threads and this machine is giving you the shits after a few week it must be bad.  As for the stepper unit bits ive remade one of these onto the Fibreglass PCB and it worked a treat.    GOOD LUCK

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
Thanks i think i'l need a LOT of luck with this one.. especially getting it going!! the rest, (cab paint, PF resto etc) will be easy as, but im not touching anything else unless or until i can get it going properly. failing that, it 'll be sold, parted out... or..... you really dont wanna know what else ^&( ^&(