Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Williams Star Trek Next Gen High End Restoration

<< < (2/5) > >>

DSB:
Getting that drop target working correctly is crucial for this game to function correctly I reckon. Sweet look job so far!

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: DSB on January 17, 2018, 09:26:20 PM ---Getting that drop target working correctly is crucial for this game to function correctly I reckon. Sweet look job so far!

--- End quote ---

Funny you should mention the Drop Target. The first time I played a ST TNG was at a dealers' in the mid 2000's. I was with Marco at the time, and we played doubles. He started a game, and pulled the trigger for the first ball, and the drop target was stuck down. Right off the bat, the rules were out of whack. Then there were issues with divertors and optos. The game was not tuned at all. As I started to learn the rules myself, I found the game to be an excellent and challenging game - when set up correctly.

The Drop Target is crucial. Replacement of all optos is mandatory. Once restored and 100% dialed in, this game has a deep and difficult ruleset that puts some modern titles to shame.

pinnies4me:
Awesome work, such a great game, makes you a better player (or for me, makes for short ball times!!)

Strangeways:
As mentioned previously, the Drop Target is crucial to having the game working properly. The second assembly that must be working perfectly, is the subway ramp. Often broken from operators lifting the playfield and the balls drop from the VUK's and slam into the base of the Subway. Again, I replace all the optos. Cleaning or "shopping" a playfield without stripping and cleaning the subway ramp assembly defeats the purpose.
Sometimes, you can find underlying problems - like a broken divertor !

New Optos ready to install ;

Almost done. New ramp installed ;

I've NEVER seen the correct springs installed. Definitely the correct springs (10-395) installed ;

Next assembly that must be working perfectly - the Cannons. These are rebuilt completely. New wiring harness and lamp socket. Of course - new optos.

Borg Assembly rebuilt. New optos.

Strangeways:
Trade secret - The metal backboard is a real pain to clean and polish. I've found using the 3M Stainless Polisher does the job effectively.

Trade Secret #2 - I use foam "noodles" with a cut down the length of the noodle, that is exactly the same length as the headbox. So while working on the playfield or lower cabinet, I know the cabinet will not be scratched.

Hidden Cabinet protectors. Absolutely brilliant !

Local Powdercoater did an amazing job on the Trigger assembly.

New Door rewired for the WPC platform. Really finishes off the front area. The lockdown bar is from the USA and fits perfectly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version