Author Topic: kings and queens  (Read 3555 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: kings and queens
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
Nice one Mark . All that effort paid off I see
I need more room ! and more $$$

mark jackson

« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »
yeah, I've learned the hard way that you are much better off to spend time taping up right, (and using the right kind of tape to mask with), rather than spend twice as long doing touch-up, and 'hide-outs' where the paint bled, ran or some other horrible thing. I absolutely hate doing touch-up work on a cabinet, and try to get it so I have none to do after a re-spray. A little thing here or there is ok but more than that means the preparation just wasn't good enough. Anyway, it's always good to get to this point and from here the clear coating is a breeze.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »
yeah, I've learned the hard way that you are much better off to spend time taping up right, (and using the right kind of tape to mask with), rather than spend twice as long doing touch-up, and 'hide-outs' where the paint bled, ran or some other horrible thing. I absolutely hate doing touch-up work on a cabinet, and try to get it so I have none to do after a re-spray. A little thing here or there is ok but more than that means the preparation just wasn't good enough. Anyway, it's always good to get to this point and from here the clear coating is a breeze.

Yep .. know exactly what you mean Mark .. ran into probs with the repaint on the Gulf Stream I'm doing at the moment.
Really should have stripped one side back and started again rather than trying to touch it up , but it doesn't look too bad

mark jackson

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
Hi everyone, I'll try a few pics and then say a bit about them

mark jackson

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
.....same pic twice ... sorry.

mark jackson

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
Hi evryone, These pics were taken before I put the rails on the machine I made, but apart from that both games are fully playable. I'd like to call 'finish' on this project, but it's not quite there. I still have the instruction card and score card to do, as well as a coin chute for the front door. (I did the rails between taking these shots and now). ... If you chase this post back to the beginning, you'll see that the machine on the left has been made starting from a stripped playfield. ... everything else came after that. It's taken me about 18 months of fairly solid work, although there was a lot of waiting for parts at different stages. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with parts, and in particular Nino and Daniel from this forum. You have both been very supportive and generous, even just giving me different parts along the way. This is greatly appreciated as the cost was like a 'leaky drip' for most of the time it took. Also John Selewski from the USA supplied me with many of the original Gottlieb parts for the head and the cabinet.
Later, I might detail what everything cost and how I rounded up the stuff to do this, but at the moment I'm happy just to play a game of pinball. Both machines have been fully restored, and now I'm going to sell one (the one I bought to copy from)... no one needs two of the same machine. Buyers with serious intent are welcome to arrange personal inspection. .... On other matters my wife and I have just come back from a month in the USA. We spent most of our time in Wyoming and Utah, and saw many places on the old Outlaw Trail. Hole In The Wall in central Wyoming was just fantastic, and folks there still talk about Butch (Cassidy) like he's about to walk through the door. We also went to Browns Park and Robbers Roost which are the other 2 main 'stations' along the Outlaw Trail. We had a terrific time, so finding motivation for pinball resto's is not easy right now. However, I do have an Ace High in need of some TLC so .... It's in the wrong cabinet so if anyone has a Gottlieb woodrail cabinet just collecting dust then I'm after one. The only bummer about travelling in Sept is I missed all the finals of the AFL, and now have to wait 6 months for a game. Anyway, have a great weekend. Cheers, Mark               

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »
Well done Mark. There were a few times I thought you were about to give up I'm really glad you stuck it out.    Only a select few of us dumb enough to build a game from just a playfield.   Which reminds me I must get on Timbi about my firepower playfield

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
Outstanding achievement Mark! I guess we never really know the height of the hill we are about to climb... yours was pretty bloody high!
Well done on restoring this machine.. from the pics it looks really nice... but i think a bigger kudos has to be given for even contemplating this ( personally i thought you were bloody bonkers) and then to see it through...well...

.. I take my hat off to you..

Gav

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »

Definitely a huge effort, and a true testament to your perseverance and attention to high detail. I was more than happy to help out with the spares.

They both look amazing !

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
Great effort, well done, they look tremendous!  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
What a project you took on there Mark, and what an excellent result . Superb work .  ^^^  ^^^
Well done to those guys who were able to help Mark out , and well done Mark for not giving up on your idea.  #*#

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
Fantastic job, all the hard work has paid off  ^^^