Author Topic: Jungle Queen 1977 Restore  (Read 4650 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
Re: Jungle Queen 1977 Restore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
I would call it a restore JD, will look great when you have finished.  ^^^
Regarding the mylar etc, I have kept my QD constantly waxed since I removed its mylar but I reckon I'm starting to get some small wear after about a year, nothing at all major just little specks here and there, others may have different experience, but if its a keeper I would be putting some protection down, I will be clearing mine when I get around to it.

Cheers
Dave

thanks Dave. I have a Sinbad that Nino polished when he restored and it shows no sign of wear. Would look better without the Mylar I think so far!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
Hi Jd after touch ups give the playfield a polish with novus 2 followed by 4 to 5 coats of canuba  wax

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
Hi Jd after touch ups give the playfield a polish with novus 2 followed by 4 to 5 coats of canuba  wax

Sounds good Thanks Daniel.

Since Nino asked about the paint last night I thought I would give it one more coat! Which I just did.

The comment Firepower made I was jokeing with my response assuming the holes that look like they were most / last used. What are the other ones for? If to make the game harder how do I find the combinations and outcomes?

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
Usually there are conservative and liberal settings for some of the playfield posts . These are shown in the game manual, if you have it.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »
looking good so far ^^^ ^^^ The backglass looks to be in pretty good condition.

Your Cab repaint looks sweet as well! Are you planning on re-doing the black speckles before the stencils go on?
I use an old toothbrush with enamel paint thinned with some thinners to do this on my cab repaints that had this effect originally

Cheers... Mitch

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
Thanks Dave.

Mitch, that sounds an interesting way to do it.
Yes I am keen to try this. This was a major feature of the original paintwork.

J.D.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:31:45 AM »
Looks great!! Fun playing game too, I've had a go on Daniel's and really liked this game.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
Hey JD, keep the updates coming, and looking very nice!  I kinda miss my Jungle Princess which I let go a few months ago.  Just love the Gottlieb EMs.

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
Hey JD, keep the updates coming, and looking very nice!  I kinda miss my Jungle Princess which I let go a few months ago.  Just love the Gottlieb EMs.

Steve thanks for your help with the orange paint colour. The closest white I could find was surfmist so hopefully it will be close.
That Jungle Queen you had was the best I have seen and when I looked at the price on egay I was amazed. I have the photos as a standard to aspire to.

J.D.

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »
JD,

Great work and please keep updating us on your progress. I will be interested in the playfield touch ups and how it comes up but really looks great as it is!

Jeff

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »

Mitch, that sounds an interesting way to do it.
Yes I am keen to try this. This was a major feature of the original paintwork.

J.D.

Its a trick i learned from Clays repair guides..

I just dip the brush into the thinned paint as i said, and scrape the brush bristles with a paddlepop stick or piece of plastic etc, scraping towards me whilst facing the cab surface with the brush.. if that makes sense, thus creating the small dots of paint.  I'll be using this trick on my Quick Draw cab come respray time which will be very soon, weather permitting!!

Make sure you practice the technique onto cardboard first though!!

And yes i give that last piece of advice learned from bitter experience ^&^
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:47:05 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »
OK another quick update on this Jungle Queen!
I used the stencils I bought from Retropin (Gavin) at a great price and locally. He could not be more helpful and given I have done this twice before with Gorgar and Playboy, I found these stencils easier to use as adhesion was better and the darker colour made the process more foolproof. I am comparing to purchasing from the USA. 1st colour coat for now.

I am very pleased with this result.

J.D.

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »

Where do I buy Canuba wax Daniel?

J.D.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 12:12:57 AM »
Hi Jd

You can buy canuba wax from any auto store. I'm using mothers gold I think it called and other have had good things to say about another brand but I can't remember it's name.  Check out my Marathon restore there are some photos of it on there from memory.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1162.0

Cabs looking sweet already
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:14:50 AM by ddstoys »

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
JD, when you were spraying the cab with the painted surface being vertical, did you have any issues with paint "pooling" at the bottom?  I presume not, as you would probably apply a thin coat with every spray.  Just wondering if the painted surface should be horizontal.  I've never done cabinet spray .... but the day is coming that I will need to.