Author Topic: Jungle Queen 1977 Restore  (Read 4648 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
Re: Jungle Queen 1977 Restore
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
JD, when you were spraying the cab with the painted surface being vertical, did you have any issues with paint "pooling" at the bottom?  I presume not, as you would probably apply a thin coat with every spray.  Just wondering if the painted surface should be horizontal.  I've never done cabinet spray .... but the day is coming that I will need to.

I have done all mine vertically like this. On this occasion I was going to do it like you say but Gavin suggested I paint all the same colour at once so both sides would have the stencil on and the side not being painted would be on the rocking horse and could potentially get damaged. Also, it is easier to line up the stencil with the side vertical so the top edge is lined up and stuck and then progressively stuck using the weight of the stencil to hold it away from the box.

Over to you.

J.d.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 10:55:10 PM »
Another busy night but an amazing result!

Again very pleased but can see as Gavin said that the orange was a warm up for the black. Lots of edges etc with the last stencil.

As the stencil came off WOW! unbelievable.

Have a little problem with the white background in one top corner (that I will fix afterwards) but these stencils are first class!

I will let it dry and see if I am game to try the pinbologist toothbrush technique.
Could not look much better!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
Man JD that's f@&kin awsome.

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »
Man JD that's f@&kin awsome.

Thanks, thinking about your jungle princess yet?

J.D.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
Looks bloody great!!

Really pleased this all worked well for you. Aligning the 2nd stencil is make or break on a cab repaint and its really nice for me to see the end result of my stencils.

Thank you so much for posting... that cab looks sensational!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
Yes Jd I'm seriously thinking about doing mine nowdamn it like I don't already have enough to do lol.     You may just get another order out of this thread Gav your stencils make it look so easy

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »
Supurb Result so far JD  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 12:31:29 AM »

Thats Tiger looks great JD  ^^^
Being a Richmond supporter I could see a Jungle Queen in my collection one day.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 12:33:41 AM »

Again very pleased but can see as Gavin said that the orange was a warm up for the black. Lots of edges etc with the last stencil.

Have a little problem with the white background in one top corner (that I will fix afterwards) but these stencils are first class!

I will let it dry and see if I am game to try the pinbologist toothbrush technique.

J.D.

The black speckling really should've been done before the stencils went on, please dont take that as me being a nit picker.. i think it looks GREAT how it is
^^^ ^^^ ^^^ I Just went and had a look at my Quickdraw cab to confirm this... colours are sprayed over the black speckling.

You COULD still do the black dots, it would just involve some masking off the the orange parts, so thay wouldnt get any black on them, and still retain the original look. I know some people dont do the black speckling because they dont like that look and prefer a cleaner looking cab finish which can be just as nice.

Its really up to you if you want the speckling or not, as everyone has said so far it looks AWESOME as it is @@* @@* @@*
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:42:36 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »

J.D.

The black speckling really should've been done before the stencils went on, please dont take that as me being a nit picker.. i think it looks GREAT how it is
^^^ ^^^ ^^^ I Just went and had a look at my Quickdraw cab to confirm this... colours are sprayed over the black speckling.

You COULD still do the black dots, it would just involve some masking off the the orange parts, so thay wouldnt get any black on them, and still retain the original look. I know some people dont do the black speckling because they dont like that look and prefer a cleaner looking cab finish which can be just as nice.

Its really up to you if you want the speckling or not, as everyone has said so far it looks AWESOME as it is @@* @@* @@*

Lucky you told me that. Thanks.

I might just think about it for the weekend and see..

Thanks J.D.

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »
Looks GREAT!  ^^^ I'm about to finish a 'Pro Football' artwork respray this weekend. I'll post some pics when complete.
I prefer not to black speckle, however it is up to the restorer.
GT
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:07:50 AM by oldpins »

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »
Hey isnt this only supposed to be a tidy up .
Looks brilliant the stencils are first class Well done #*#

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »
Thanks Faza that ID moving picture is hard to beat too.

J.D.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »
That looks really really nice mate  @@*
Nearly makes me want en EM  &&

Gav - congrats on the stencils  ^^^
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »

Speckling is applied after the base coat. This WAS how it was done in the factory. But restoration is a personal thing - so don't let the speckling (or lack of) detract from such an AWESOME resto repaint.

Keep in mind the "reason" behind the application of the speckles ! They were painted on the cabinet to distract from the stenciled artwork. "Back in the day" they had brass or copper stencils pressed against the cabinet and the paint was sprayed on in a couple of minutes. The distance between the stencil plate and the cabinet would determine the amount of under-spray and over-spray. The NEXT stencil plate for the next color would be placed over the first and the registration would never be perfect.  Combine the over-spray, under-spray and registration issues, and you have a painted cabinet. They were never perfect. So the idea was to have the speckles to distract the imperfections in the cabinet.

So a "true" restoration (is there such a thing?) would incorporate all the flaws of the original methods - over-spray, under-spray and speckles. I tried this a couple of times and it is labor intensive. You need acetate sheets with the images to be painted cut out. This will give you the over-spray and under-spray. Speckles are easy. Registration "flaws" can be done easily.

The low tack adhesive stencils available on the market are perfect - no flaws. You really cannot make a mistake. No over-spray etc. So why bother with speckles ?

I will be using Gav's stencils on quite a few machines, and I've nothing but great feedback !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia