Author Topic: Ebay coils  (Read 291 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Ebay coils
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
Did anyone here snag these???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190280967135&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Been watching them all week and they sat at $5 for ages, went to $7.50 and then kaboom!

At $50 i stopped watching - at the final price im thinking WTF?????

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Ebay coils
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »
Not me - I don't think half of them are even relevant to my pins.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »
The even stranger part to this auction was part of his description:

One of the jobs involved the repairs and maintenance of pinball and amusement machines in an arcade game parlor. This was a wild, unruly and dirty place. You always had to sit or stand on your toolbox in order to keep your tools from being taken. You had to lock a machine immediately if not working on it and you had to be careful not to step on sleeping, smoking, drinking or mating bodies, humans and pets, under the machines. 

Refusing to give free test games after a service would cause someone to pour cola into your pants or boots whilst you had your head inside the next machine and once, a particularly mean girl jammed my head in the machine to check my pockets for money

I asked 2 collectors from the Albury region who would of been playing the games around this time and they all said it was a crock of sh*t  #@#

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
LOL- never let the truth get in the way of a good story eh?

A few years back i bought a milk crate full of EM parts off Ebay from what i now know is Tony from the Pinball Shed.

Paid $50 and got about 30 coils, complete drop target mechs, score wheels and mechs etc, Ive been using these to fix a few pins and still have a heap of stuff left from the original buy.

Could have sworn this auction would end at around $20!

Oh well - there ya go

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
Maybe he was doing repairs in Western Sydney, and moved to Albury later? Sounds like something that could have happened in Blacktown...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
The even stranger part to this auction was part of his description:

One of the jobs involved the repairs and maintenance of pinball and amusement machines in an arcade game parlor. This was a wild, unruly and dirty place. You always had to sit or stand on your toolbox in order to keep your tools from being taken. You had to lock a machine immediately if not working on it and you had to be careful not to step on sleeping, smoking, drinking or mating bodies, humans and pets, under the machines. 

Refusing to give free test games after a service would cause someone to pour cola into your pants or boots whilst you had your head inside the next machine and once, a particularly mean girl jammed my head in the machine to check my pockets for money

I asked 2 collectors from the Albury region who would of been playing the games around this time and they all said it was a crock of sh*t  #@#

Absolute horsecrap. Back in te old days, you could leave your open toolkit on top of the machine next to the machine being worked on. You could ask one of the kids to mind your toolbox while you go out to the truck to pick up a part. Just give the kid 10 free games, and then you have instant Armaguard..

If the seller got over $100 for that pocket full of coils, then I can retire on the boxes of coils in my garage..

I might put my 1950's NOS Stepper unit on eBay starting at $150,000  @.@

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »
It may be poetic licence, but I found the story amusing and an unusual and effective way of selling. Better than "I've got some used coils for sale, thanks for looking".

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
It may be poetic licence, but I found the story amusing and an unusual and effective way of selling. Better than "I've got some used coils for sale, thanks for looking".

Matthew

good point, Matt - It obviously worked !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »

Matthew

Yeah I agree Matt,

Just made me wonder what the hell was happening in the Albury region!

In all my years growing up in arcades I just remember the ops being cool old guys (who we were making rich) who were more than happy for us to stand around and watch them work.

The only real 'heavy' stuff I saw was around 1974 when I was 10 years old and a fight broke out between some older guys over one of them owing money to the other for some weed.....there seemed to be no rules back then - you could kick the shit out of the games and nobody really said anything  :lol