Author Topic: So who remembers what was happening 10 years ago??  (Read 997 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
So who remembers what was happening 10 years ago??
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
If you all can remember 10 years ago around this time of the year a lot of people where worring about the Y2K bug.

what a load of crap that was (or was it).
planes where supposed to fall out of the sky, the world was supposed to plunge into darkness because of problems with power stations, the list went on.
who else can remember the big fuss over the y2k bug or anything else that was going on in 1999 - 2000?

i remember how slow computers where back then and how expensive they where.

I was up at Harvey Bay at the time, and on new years eve exactly at midnight the power in our area went out, you could hear a lot of people around the area freaking out. the cause of the blackout was some clown threw a chain over the powerlines exactly at midnight.

so what do you guys remember about 1999?
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: So who remembers what was happening 10 years ago??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
i was 18 and i remember jack shit.  Other than i drank alot and drove some really hot and dangerous cars didnt care about Y2k  i didnt have any money in banks and i didnt own a computer lol

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
We all know the Y2K 'bug' was the biggest beat-up in history.

When I was writing code back in 1990 for the Commonwealth Bank (in COBOL) we were already ensuring Y2K compliance - anyone with half a brain was thinking ahead to 2000.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
 Was a bit cynical about the bug until the fellow down the street (in charge of a large part of Powercor) drive a work ute home for the first time ever. I asked him why and it was in readiness .. .. ..

I was playing in a duo at a local night spot that night. We'd talked about how we thought it would be 1.00 am due to day light savings. Anyway, a few minutes after 1.00 the whole joint went black, amps died - the lot. I looked out the window (third floor near the beach middle of town) and it was spooky black everywhere and I thought "Oh, sh!t, it's real". Then it all came back on.

Someone had hit a power pole and took out the city grid for a minute just after 1.00 !!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »

Yep - until recently  #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
Doing breakdown maintenance for a council's water and sewage back then, everyone "on call" that night, no probs though, geez some computer guys made a motsa out of the whole y2k thing.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »

Yep - until recently  #@#
do tell wotto, what is the recent event that tops the y2k bug?

at the place where i was working in august we changed all the computer dates to 1/1/2000 and not one had a problem, most of them were made around 1996.

the freakiest thing i remember was 12/9/01 (or in american time 9/11/01) i was awake that morning watching tv, at first i thought it was a movie or a fictional program like that one about the aliens landing.
but after watching it over and over for the next few hours on every channel i realised it was real, I really thought it was the begining of WWIII. it was a horrible feeling, wondering what kind of world have i brought my son into, for at least a week or 2 i was expecting a nuclear war or something to break out.
the strangest thing was the date (911) as that is the american emergency number as we all know (like our 000)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:17:24 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
The Telco company I worked for at the time rostered us on 8 hr shifts round the clock for 3 days and paid us tripple time for each shift (of course they abandoned the roster after nothing went wrong) .
They had shipped in enough food to last us for days (our data centre was in George St, Sydney then) in case we couldn't get home due to transport/traffic probs.
 They booked numerous hotel rooms in the city for a block of x days, so we (family) stayed at the Regent overnight when the rooms went unused for work.

The best part (besides being paid tripple time) was we got to watch the Fireworks from the boardroom which was on the 29th floor with an excellent view straight down the harbour.  :lol
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »
Forgot to add it is simply unbelievable that Y2K was 10 years ago in a couple of weeks time .. where the heck has the last 10 years gone ?
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
We had a 1993 Fairmont that had the y2k bug in the clock.  When you set the date, it would roll back to 1972 instead of moving on to 2000.  Awesome.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »
I cant remember what I ate for breakfast  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »
I cant remember what I ate for breakfast  :lol :lol :lol

and 10 years is alot of medicinal ()  :lol

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 09:19:07 PM »
I am still waiting for the general popoulation to call the year twenty o nine or twenty ten, since the begining of the millennium every one seems to call the year two thousand and .....
back in the 70's 80's and 90's it was ninteen ninety five or what ever the year was, no one would call it nineteen thousand and what ever.

but i suppose all the kids have been brought up with the two thousand and what ever year so i don't think we will ever go back to the way it was.

Petrol back in 2000 was around 77 cents a litre in may (Brisbane)
average wage was $668 a week

Offline Lloyd Olson

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »
I was happily married looking forward to our second Christmas together.

Marty Machine

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 11:42:54 PM »
Well, we're somewhat past the year 2000..........

so, WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR and WHERES MY SILVER V-Suite Dammit !!  :lol :lol :lol