Author Topic: R.I.P Margaret Thatcher.  (Read 1759 times)

Offline roundball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
Re: Re: R.I.P Margaret Thatcher.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
Pour old Maggie can't be cremated...

She closed down all the coal mines.

Boom boom.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: R.I.P Margaret Thatcher.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
Full of class..........
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Re: R.I.P Margaret Thatcher.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Pour old Maggie can't be cremated...

She closed down all the coal mines.

Boom boom.

Nice one mate.

:lol
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline casperthefriendly

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »
You really needed to have lived in the UK during the 80's & 90's (I did) to understand why there's so much hatred towards her.

She sold off everything the country owned - Telcos, airlines, utilities, council houses, school playing fields etc and didn't give a monkey's about "working class" people anywhere in the country, but particularly in Scotland.

There were the poll tax riots & Brixton riots that were attributable to her policies and the Falklands war was simply sable rattling and a way to channel huge sums of cash to the military. Her son was also involved in some particularly nasty stuff, including a coup in Guinea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Thatcher

It was a Rest in Peace thread for a now defenceless 87 year old woman who was in ill health.

It wasnt a thread to disrespect a ladys memories.

I am hoping the MODS show some dignity and clean up the thread.

Perhaps we leave RIP threads as that, rest in peace, and people who want to wish bad of the dead can start another post. A bit of decorum I thought for a 87 yr old lady wouldnt hurt, would it.  Sheeesh.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »

I am at a loss as to why you are questioning my or Nino's "dignity". Just because someone has passed, does not excuse them of their wrongs. I for one have been interested to hear from two members that both have direct experience with her regime, not just an opinion, actual experience and very much worthy of being expressed.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
It wasnt meant that way Nick, as usual. It was meant to read show the lady some dignity and get rid of the nasty, poor taste comments.

I will spell it out again, it was a RIP thread. Thats when you usually say, you guessed it, RIP, not nasty shit.
** If people wanted to stick it to a dead person, they could easily have opened a discussion thread, cause this was a Rest in Peace thread !

I dont mind, the members will as a whole decide if certain comments were classless and in poor taste to a dead 87 yr old lady.
This is a thread I wouldnt want someone from outside of AP to judge AP on, it looks pretty poor taste from my point of view.

Maybe I am not used to people beating up on dead 87 yr old women. #@#

*also, Nino said something nice n honourable about the lady, shame others didnt follow suit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:21:58 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
I for one can not talk about living under a Thacher rule and all the guys from the UK have given their personal experience. Sorry for the tough times and any of your personal hardships during those times.
A couple of observations from reading other historic accounts come strong and direct:
1. GB was a basket case towards the late 70s. Militant unions brought the country to its knees with strike after strike. Rubbish was piling up everywhere and transport was at a standstill. Tough call for a new leader in 1979.
2. John Lydon amongst others had a go at the establisment and upper class capitalists but he also had a strong message to the working class, quote from Wiki:
He is critical of the upper classes, stating that they "parasite off the population as their friends help them along", but he equally criticises the working classes, claiming that "We're lazy, good-for-nothing bastards, absolute cop-outs [who] never accept responsibility for our own lives and that's why we'll always be downtrodden."

So love her or hate her, Magie's agenda was to move Britain away from where it was heading which upset a lot of people.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:29:33 PM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »

I am at a loss as to why you are questioning my or Nino's "dignity". Just because someone has passed, does not excuse them of their wrongs. I for one have been interested to hear from two members that both have direct experience with her regime, not just an opinion, actual experience and very much worthy of being expressed.

+1

I spent some time today reading several articles online where she was regarded as a tyrant by some. Seems she really polarized opinion with her leadership style. I think anyone who lived in the UK under her leadership would know more than we Aussies would know, - these are REAL experiences.

Johnny Rotten has been on the TV lately with some colorful language describing her - I didn't know the biggest Sex Pistols Hit "Anarchy in the UK" was directed at her government. Even the UK press at the time censored the Music Charts from listing the title in the newspapers. That is a little too much like Stalin for my liking.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »

+1

I spent some time today reading several articles online where she was regarded as a tyrant by some. Seems she really polarized opinion with her leadership style. I think anyone who lived in the UK under her leadership would know more than we Aussies would know, - these are REAL experiences.

Johnny Rotten has been on the TV lately with some colorful language describing her - I didn't know the biggest Sex Pistols Hit "Anarchy in the UK" was directed at her government. Even the UK press at the time censored the Music Charts from listing the title in the newspapers. That is a little too much like Stalin for my liking.

Johnny's memory must be rotten.
Anarchy in the UK was released 26-Nov-76 when Maggy was leader of the opposition. Why would the countrie's woes be on her shoulders? She was leader from 4-May-79 to 28-Nov-90. A majority must have had some faith and belief in her government.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »
I was emailed this by someone who thought Margaret Thatcher was different to some of the negative attitudes bumping around -

He (Russell Brandt - Comedian) is claiming she is like the current lot of corporation-helping elitists? Not so. For instance, she encouraged the population to buy shares in the newly privatised companies like British Telecom, and overall about 20% of the UK population did so. She assisted two million people to buy their own homes ('right to buy' of State-owned council homes etc.). She sponsored assisted university places, and encouraged aspiration. Objectively, the latter is shown to be successful by the number of new small businesses which started during her time in office, which per annum was greatly increased. The wealth thereby generated can be quantified by per capita GDP growth, which was much improved and better than international competitors for a number of years. Her background was as a qualified chemist and subsequently tax lawyer, quite a contrast to David Cameron (current PM) who 'worked in PR' for Carlton Communications. For instance, her science background helped when she changed the law to ban CFCs.

She did regressive things too (e.g. Poll Tax), but in no way was she like David Cameron and the elitists currently in charge, who are corporate stooges frankly. Personally, I don't think she would have bailed out the banks; a classic example of how corporations have increased their power since 1979. She clearly didn't believe that state-owned big business was too big to fail, because she let them fail and/or sold them off, including the British car, coal mining, oil and telecoms industries. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine she might have added failing banks to this list!

"Facts, Russell, facts".

I'd love to see some well-researched objective commentary by economists etc in the media, rather than folks like this (literal) comedian, but there you go.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
Russell Brandt is a funny fooker.

"Stroke the furry walls"

:lol
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline MPE

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
she was despised in Liverpool due to her part in the cover up of the Hillsborough Disaster

this video is from last year, and there are many more like it

Resistance is futile