Author Topic: Stern 2015 - Wrestlemania  (Read 11179 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Stern 2015 - Wrestlemania
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »
video with some shots of the new game and a bunch of talking.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2015/01/08/wwe-and-pinball-the-marriage-we-never-knew-we-wanted-ces-2015

Love the video title.  ^^^
That is a HUGE plug for STERN as these guys ( IGN ) have a massive cult following in the gamer world and everything they do, young people ( and some oldies  #@# )watch.
Particularly stoked to see younger crew speaking with such enthusiasm .
You mention online WiFi tournaments to these guys and you are already a winner.
good stuff  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2015, 12:58:59 AM »
as per post on pinside

New free downloadable Pinball Magazine special:
Veteran pinball designer John Trudeau discusses his latest game: WrestleMania
Lots of new details about the game and upcoming LE version!
http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=2440

Note the line about WrestleMania almost being released as a Pro only.

I'd always wondered why Stern wouldn't do some machines as a Pro only, where there isn't much difference in the Pro and LE/Premium.  They could charge an extra $500 dollars for a single model Metallica or Mustang with the LE/Premium playfield - the additional features on the LE/Premium could have been easily/cheaply added into the Pro model.  Cost would drop with the larger/single run on the LE/Premium playfield.

WrestleMania Pro may be another one of those machines that the better value game would be the Pro.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2015, 02:23:04 AM »
The 3 tier Stern sales model system is simple and very effective.

Some people like the value for money Pro which plays fast and is always priced well.
The LE is always top dollar but you get exclusitivity and have something most people want but couldn't buy because they missed the very quick timeline or didn't have enough $.
The Premium is for someone who wants the Playfield features of the LE and a mix of the Pro and LE on some of the other features.
Funnily enough, in Australia if u buy a Premium, you probably have a rarer machine than those who purchased the Pro or LE.

This system is just like Fords car sales model when I grew up around factory six or V8 models.
Ford Falcon, Ford Fairmont Ghia then Ford Fairlane. OR
Holden Commodore, Holden Calais and Holden Stateman.
But divide the car sales numbers by 1000 and u have the real pinball sales type numbers.

Stern are on a winner with this model cause we see collectors all over Australia with each of the pinny models.
Great things for 2015.
Even JJP has its base model, it's LE model and its Premium 75th Anniversary Premium model.

As Gary Stern said "nothing makes a statement like a Pinball Machine".
The look on people's faces when they walk into a games room says it all.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:00:41 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2015, 03:41:25 AM »
Side pic of WWE pinny

If u blow the photo up, there's a dude wearing a black vest which looks like a angy Johnny Borg. Lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 03:48:01 AM »
Also, rounded shaped drain guide plastics instead of the usual square or pointed shapes as usual.
Also the back of the slingshot plastic also serves as a two sided slingshot which bounces the ball backwards and forwards when the ball is rolling thru cause the rounded lane guides have rubbers and also a slingshot style switch.

Only simple but haven't seen this used on both sides this way for ages. Picture below shows how it works.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 07:36:02 AM »
Also, rounded shaped drain guide plastics instead of the usual square or pointed shapes as usual.
Also the back of the slingshot plastic also serves as a two sided slingshot which bounces the ball backwards and forwards when the ball is rolling thru cause the rounded lane guides have rubbers and also a slingshot style switch.

Only simple but haven't seen this used on both sides this way for ages. Picture below shows how it works.

I agree, they have incorporated some simple & different ideas that keep the boxing ring theme flowing through the game and is very effective.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
Looks like a fresh update from Stern .Not bad in my opinion .
Not keen on the theme at all ,but the flipper control sling shots in the ring looks cool .
Has there every been another pinball that you control the sling shots ? could be signs of things to come .
Similar !

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
Such a shame to see all this technical innovation (for better or worse) squandered on a hideous looking piece of shit.
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
Such a shame to see all this technical innovation (for better or worse) squandered on a hideous looking piece of shit.

Something tells me you might not like it ?
How do u think they should have done it ?

Wrestling fans probably think it's the bees knees. ?
The colours look awesome.
Is it the subject matter of wrestling you don't like or the design they put together ?

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
video - shows the top playfield flipper action if you can call it that, neat idea

utoplay=1&rel=0

this is what a pinsider learnt from the CES show from the Stern guys and based on what he asked and was told.

"Details about the new SPIKE system to be used in WWE Wrestlemania: The transformer has been eliminated (lighter games). The MPU is much smaller and there are no coil drivers in the back box. It appears to be running an Atmel processor and reportedly runs embedded Linux. The coil drivers are now on under-playfield boards close to the actual coils are are reported to have much better ESD protection, over-current protection, etc. In short, they should be much more reliable.

The main connection from the MPU to the main satellite boards are via CAT5 cable (NOT running ethernet). It looks like there are 3 or 4 primary satellite boards which daisy-chained via Cat5 (at least that is the number on the TWD Pro they had on display to show the new hardware system, everything is modular and they can add as many satellite boards as they need for a particular game). From these satellite boards which appear to contain their own logic, other "dumb" boards such as lamp boards are connected via what look like in-line IDC connectors.

Single lamp boards are terminated on the lamp board via direct-soldered connections. The lamps are now all direct drive (no matrix) which should eliminate flickering/ghosting problems.

The switch matrix has also been eliminated and the switches will also be direct read from one of the satellite boards. Aside from eliminating row/column cross-talk errors in the case of a bad protection diode, this will also allow an arbitrary number of switches as required by a particular game (not limited by a fixed matrix of 8x8, 8x10, etc.)

Audio goodies:
3-channel audio system! (Stereo Highs, plus single channel lows)
Headphone Out! (On the MPU, but can be routed wherever you need it)
Line Out (Also on the MPU)"

and

"A couple other interesting items:

Flippers now use double winding coils!
This is a pretty major change and means the flippers no longer have to use PWM to keep them in "up" position since there will be a high power coil for flipping and low power for hold (like Williams/Bally). Should eliminate the Stern flipper buzz and also give a nicer feel. Still using leaf switches (not optos) for flipper switches.

48V (only) power bus from back box to playfield
If another voltage is needed under the playfield, it will be locally regulated on the satellite boards. However, the MPU has diagnostic LEDs for +5V, +9V, +24V, and +48V so I'm not sure if any of this is written in stone. Bussing a single voltage reduces wiring/cost and might make troubleshooting easier. Not this means that there are no longer high power and low power coils. All coils will be 48V.

Power switch is now on right-hand underside of back box.
Obviously, this eliminates a long wire run for Stern. Downside would be a little harder to get to if your games are packed tight. I didn't ask specifically if it would be like this on production games, but it looked like a designed in feature to me.

LE will have a different board revision
Obviously, this is consistent with recent SAM L.E. and Premium boards. I asked specifically about video output from the demo SPIKE board shown at CES and if there were multiple video outputs. My understanding is that that board did not have video outputs (just the standard 2x7 DMD connector), but the L.E. would have a different revision with additional capabilities (e.g., to support the playfield display)."

the power switch could be a issue for people with a home line up if they have to get between machines to turn off.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:51:01 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
Thanks for video Jady :) it's growing on me and I can't wait to play one.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »
%.%

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »
Changed the power switch to under the RHS of headbox to save wire? WTF?