Author Topic: There's an elephant in the pinball room  (Read 1471 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
There's an elephant in the pinball room
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Well I didn't know where to start even with a title but some things need to be kept in context because of a recent thread:

I want to share some thoughts on the Pinfest debacle and clear the air and list some facts so people can understand the truth.

I might be listed as a pinball wizard based on the posts but I can assure you that I have a lot to learn and by no means a expert in pinball - I just enjoy pinball (most of the time apart from the odd shite slinging). I try to contribute most of the time with informative posts and pinball things of interest along with some help here and there where I can. I consider myself to be a pinball enthusiast and love to share the passion with other people of the same type but I won't have the wool pulled over my eyes if something is not correct or if unsubstantiated comments are made.

Pinfest 2012 - On AA last year the call out went out for assistants to help in any way for Pinfest 2012. Wanting to help I went to the first meeting and stated very early that I couldn't help much and offered my services to do a design layout as well help with a logo and shirt design even if it was just for idea building. Luckily for me I posted within AP and el-timbo kindly volunteered his art skills and ended up producing an awesome design for the show poster and the t-shirt logo. In addition I rallied for Nino's business and AP to be represented, and assisted in making mildly aided in retropin and homepin to become sponsors with these guys being the 2 main stalls at the show making a huge effort from Qlds along with a huge effort to luke with his stall, 5-6 pins and lending his truck for 4-6 days. I did quite a few design layouts and visited the venue to draw the layout accurately as possible - so I was proud that I helped in my own way. I even got some videos from Anna - pinball donut girl and she advertised on her website but now one showed any interest in showing the vids of pinball donut girl and Krausse videos at pinfest so people just missed out. I am also proud that I flew the flag and raised the AP awareness with the goal to make the event bigger and better then and years to come. In return I got a number of thanks from the AP public as I in effect was the only AP representative (and I do not support the so called forum divide as I stood alone taking the risk amongst many other strong AA supporters) and I must say before the show and during nearly all the people were very receptive and welcoming with some interesting conversations with a few of the guys on the Saturday night all against the forum divide and they were AA guys - so excellent to hear and witness. And I detail the above as I have nothing to hide and believe I did the right thing. I even wrote to a particular personal asking for reasons of treatment with no response - unprofessional and unsubstantiated in the end.

Time went by and things were being organised, along with a few extra people getting involved which changed some of the decisions made by the original team - no worries just float along with it. When they were after volunteers to move pins I didn't volunteer but no one was to know why, no one asked - but I had a accident at work earlier in the year and damaged my knee so had a operation and was still under workers comp light duties so strictly no lifting. I even had a local removalist move my pins around for acase of beer here and there so not to damage my knee. When the show started my daughter of all days had a accident and was rushed to hospital the morning of the show meaning I missed the 1st day but family comes first. I managed to get in for the Saturday night, only just. Then on Sunday I went for 2hrs and then left at noon and had family time with my daughter. I received a rude comment before leaving so knew someone was upset but dammed if I knew why other than there was a possible expectation that I should be doing just as much as everyone else instead of being appreciative of what help has been given. Because the show was organised in such a short time (credit to Chris and many Newcastle guys) many people from areas far away couldn't make it missed out so I wanted to share the experience and made 2 youtube videos and then scanned and posted the Pinfest booklet on AP which upset some AP sleepers that were strong AA people as they wanted to do it first - I apologised to the creater and he posted the booklet and we moved on, and also I quoted a figure of the funds raised to go to charity which was detailed to me by 4 x NPA members at the show who were stoked about how well they did. I did make the mistake of stating a ball park figure raised which upset the apple cart and I admit that one. Certain people that hardly come here posted I believe to create a divide and get some pats on the back.

Pinfest 2013 - I saw the post on AA, and waited a week and then posted here as it appeared no one was doing the respectful thing to share so I simply gave a heads up - nothing more and nothing less. Then you always have one that stirs the pot and another wanting to divide people, forums and the hobby. It is sad that all that had to be said was "thanks for promoting and I will keep everyone up to date with developments" which I even said in the opening post. So credit to the mods thread shut down as I definitely don't want to create a divide between forums as my view point is we are all here to enjoy pinball not for personalities to clash and cause a mountain out of a mole hill.

Forum divide - this I just don't get, certain people come in and make comment to introduce a divide and again today this happened with the accusation that I am creating a problem but that is wrong as my goal was to promote and just tell people to get in with their accommodation. As it is so many guys are members of both so it only appears the forum divide thing is raised and built up by people with a chip or didn't do it or post first. To me there is no forum divide apart from a few individuals that like drama and like they want everyone to know how good they are. I am definitely not dividing forums and for me it was hoped that guys will come from Melbourne, Qlds and where ever and enjoy this event.

I hope the event can move on from this and people suck in their differences and maybe admit to themselves boy I got that wrong and just enjoy Pinball.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: There's an elephant in the pinball room
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
Swinks, I have always thought of you as a good guy

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing your point of view Swinks. I for one was happy for the pinfest 2013 heads up and found the comments directed back at you unnecessary and unfortunate to say the least.
 Good luck to the organisers, I'll be elsewhere though.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
Is all good Swinks.. dont worry about it mate.
Its a gathering of machines for people to enjoy at the end of the day.. some will attend, some wont. Majority of those that will attend wont have a clue or could give a rats arse about any forum at all - they will be there just to play pinball.. good old Joe public.
Not sure if ill attend this year.. im not lugging signs back and forth again.. stencils are hard as i can only take some and they will be the wrong titles..LOL. Maybe T Shirts if i get them done in time.
But then again.. its just a venue booking thats been confirmed.. they might not want any stalls, or my stall.. who knows, im sure the details will be revealed one way or another

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »
Swinks, I have always thought of you as a good guy

x 100  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »
Jady - What you did last year to promote the event was outstanding. You went above and beyond the call and you were berated because you flew the AP flag.

"Forum Divide" - Don't worry too much about it mate. It is encouraged at a higher level and seriously, some people need to take a long hard look at the way they conduct themselves.

I hope everyone that attends Pinfest 2013 enjoys the event and can see past the politics. Like Gav, I'll be finding better things to do  &&

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »

Swinks, takes courage to take an honest stand, and I admire you for it.

Unfortunately, there are some that want to create and maintain divides - I am sorry you got caught in their sights.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:58:02 PM »
Your highly respected in pinball Jady especially here on AP nothing to worry about mate.

Peter

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
Well done Jady
     We would have been In the dark about the pinfest without your input.

I don't have a problem with AA log on once in a while to check out what there doing with pinball but almost everytime I'm let down by people's negative comments or shit stirring people have to much free time I think (wish I had some lol)

Just ignore it mate keep doing what your doing we all appreciate it  ^^^

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »
I hope everyone that attends Pinfest 2013 enjoys the event and can see past the politics. Like Gav, I'll be finding better things to do  &&

I agree, and to those that have issues......     f**k 'em.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:37:21 AM »
Keep up the great work Jady  ^^^.

I wonder if you hadn't posted about Pinfest 2013 if there would ever have been any information posted on this forum ?

I have always resisted the urge to comment on all the BS that seems to be brought on by a select few, never understood it either . but it has always amazed me . Most of us aren't part of that inner circle

Cheers
Dave

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
+1 to all of the above.

There are some really great guys over on the other side but there is a small minority of twits that make you realise just how good AP is.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
Jady.. you tried to do Pinfest a favour by posting details on this forum a move to broaden the event. You had your wings clipped publicly by the " commitee".. then you were chastised like a naughty school boy.

This much crap this early in the day isnt a good sign.. i have no enthusiasm for the event now and wont be going, im really not interested in being part of a bitch fight. I thought i built some bridges at the last event and went out of my way to do so... guess i was wrong

NPA dont want us there.. thats OK and is their prerogative.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »
The NPA should change it's name as it is sounds much like the NRA!

()
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
NPA v AP punch on in the carpark!

:lol

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"