Author Topic: Custom Jukebox - Building from scratch  (Read 566 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Custom Jukebox - Building from scratch
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Goal - Build my very own Jukebox

At the Time - I thought cool unique project in which I was single after a divorce and wanted to kill time and be a little creative, as the design started in cad about 10 years ago and to buy a 50 cd Wurlitzer was about $10k and I thought that would be a nice challenge.
Thoughts now - a bit over it, and technology has changed to ipods etc but I had a few years break and it is now sitting in the living room working looking almost finished but now with a ipod connected up but still a few touches required to completely finish it off.

This post will go back in the past for a little bit but for those interested you can see the way I am building my own Jukebox. It helps that I have a old but hotted up CNC, as I use to build modern ones but scored this machine for free and then spent about $8k on a computer, 3 axis microstepper drive system including motors etc and proxy sensors and re-wired it - perfect for timber work up to 25mm thick.

Step 1 - research the general dimensions of a Jukebox as I wanted the authentic shape and size.
Step 2 - bought a Bose sound system - powered sub and 2 twin cube speakers - gives forward and sideways directional sound coverage - boy these speakers pump.
Step 3 - bought a quality NAD amp
Step 4 - bought 2 Sony 300 CD players
Step 5 - started designing the skeleton frame to accommodate the components.
Step 6 - about 7-8 years ago started making the unit. This is where we fast forward to the photos attached as prior stages photos were taken with a film camera and well the photos are somewhere. I made the frame looking back a little over engineered out of 18mm mdf (god help when I have to move it - similar to a pinball in weight), with access holes (for hands and cabling), bolt holes (for clips) and the structure just keys together like a meccano set. So the first 3 photos show the front panel of mdf with the skelton connecting in with some cabling started for components, as well as some components for checks.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Custom Jukebox - Building from scratch
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
post continue

Step 7 - brush coated the skeleton with a water based estapol as was doing this inside the house as my cnc machine is the size of a car and takes up most of the shed apart from materials and other machinery.
Step 8 - cut the side panels - 6mm wobbly hoop pine ply - this stuff is magic as it is 3 ply but all the timber grain goes in one direction meaning you can get some awesome curves out of it. So cut this and test fitted and then cut a Rosewood ply that was 1.2mm thick to suit the patterns (join point and speaker allowance) required to fit into the skeleton. Then with some help from my dad we assmbled the side panels with glue in the front and back panel grooves as well as between the 2 different plys and clamped the whole unit together as this was a challenge trying to lock everything in - one one go at it.

The back panel has sections machined for handles, volume controls, external speaker connection points, cooling fan, volt gauge, switches for various items (lighting and components).

Because it is mdf I sealed everything but didn't want to screw into the end grain as it splits easily. So all held together with glue - high quality type of pva glue. I hope it never goes under water (flooding) as this thing will blow up like a balloon.....  ^&^

I will add some more of the progress over the next few days when time allows.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Beyond impressive . . .
 $%$
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
looks EXCELLENT!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
Wow.   Did I mentiOn wow?

Offline carnut

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:13:46 AM »
shit wow man.
you got some serious talent!
tks for sharing

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words.

I forgot to mention the reason for this thread - it's a new year and like another thread started yesterday what's your goals for 2012.

For me one thing is to finish my custom Jukebox, as I lost motivation a few years ago, had a child and then the pinball addiction started.

So I will be posting the process that I came up with up to where it is now and then the goal is to finish off this year in which I will document the process, somethings ended up being not the best process / design so a little bit of backward stepping and may seek a few opinions in one area when I get to that point.

Hope you enjoy and that it can encourage you can be creative in an area that you didn't think you were or scared of entering.

I am not a joiner by trade but my dad was a woodwork teacher and grew up appreciating timber. I entered the field of engineering building light aircraft and then cnc machinery so I now (did) do timber work with a bit of a engineering approach. I never attempted anything this big before, nor this fine in detail before so did took a big step but it is rewarding. I had a dream of custom furniture with a bit of a beach theme - hence my swinks logo with the woodie car symbolising - surf and wood. I was one of those guys not quite a risk taker to put everything on the line - though did do it as a part time business but didn't get any lucky breaks I suppose.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
Looks excellent Jady  ^^^ . Very impressive . Looking forward to more of this story
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »
Fantastic work, look forward to watching your progress  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Fantastic work, Jady - Very impressive  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
Update

Stage 9 - Now the fun begins with encasing the jukebox with exotic timbers.

First of all the front panel is made with solid 1" thick - Tassie Huon Pine (outer sections), African Purple Heart ( two centre darker strips - is actually from Africa, and purple and bloody expensive with a 50mm x 50mm by 1.2m costing about $90) and lastly the Silver Ash (Aussie Hardwood centre strip). I wanted the front to look like a 60's malibu so laminated all these boards together with biscuit joiners and clamped up. Then once all dry dropped on the cnc bed and machined the backside flat along with dowel holes so it could be glued and locked in to the mdf skeleton later on. I then flipped it over and machined the front side flat, dowel holes for edge trimming and recesses for cd player, hidden drawer, sub and lighting.

Then unlike what alot of other timber joiners / artists would do is sand this right up to 1200 wet and dry as I was not going to put a surface finish on that creates the smoothness (thick varnish) but then proceeded to put on 3 coats of danish oil (which sets quite hard). I want people to touch this and feel what you can achieve with fine sand paper and oil.

Tech Notes - there are many different techniques for applying danish oil and mine being this: using a velcro round disc random orbital sander and starting at 200 grit right going up to 1200 grit to the point that if you get down low you can already see a reflection in the timber. In addition when you put a first coat of sealer / varnish on timber it normally furs up - not after this fine sanding. Then I brush coated 1 coat of oil on, waited 10 minutes and then 1200 grit wet and dry sanded by hand and then wiped off the excess oil to achieve a sealed but matt finish. Then waited 24 hours minimum to recoat as doing it too early softens up the previous coat making it a little sticky affecting the overall finish. With coats 2 and 3 I just brushed them on waited 10 minutes and wiped off the excess with 24 hours between coats. The beauty with this style of surface finish is that you don't have any risk of crap in the finish, it is quick and relatively easy and it makes the timber feel incredible. It also allows for easy touch ups in the future.

I waited a week before gluing to the front of the skeleton as timber pieces and clamps were required to clamp on being pressed against the finished surface. This process was fairly successful but had a few little gaps around the edges as should have left some pockets for glue to press into between the 2 panels.

Then I proceeded with danish oiling the rosewood roll top panels 3 coats in the same style. You will notice a join line near the speaker - this will be covered up later.

And yes I like blue and looking back I think why the hell did I paint that speaker section blue.

For a little more background into the design I designed it all in 2D CAD and had to use the brain energy to visualise how this was going to fit together prior to building. I designed the skeleton, back door, front panel, sub grill, speaker grills, drawer, cd player front panel, lighting covers all before cutting so had to make sure I was spot on and watching the cnc like a hawk as a few times I had the cutter on the wrong side of a line but no major issues there but did happen.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
Update

Stage 10 - now to fab up parts and assmeble onto the front of the jukebox.

Sub Grill - is made from 1 solid piece of WA Jarrah, recessed in the backside to then out a bit to allow the sound to come out and not bounce back at the sub. The grill has my wave logo v engraved into it with approx 900 holes in it (thank god for cnc - would have stuffed this up doing it with a drill press or by hand). Then again did the danish oil work - as you can see it is a little more glossy in the logo grooves. The backside had section also machined for nut inserts to be installed so this grill will be removable of the front of the jukebox. To give you an idea the grill is 57.5 x 20.5 cm at the widest points.

Dress Trim (secret drawer) - is also made from Jarrah with a complex profile machined in the backside of it as it actually houses power for the lighting of the front mirror which is installed (which supports the jukebox name) and also 4 colour changing leds that operate out of sync to light up the logo. There are 4 very strong but very small magnets installed in the backside of the dress trim corresponding with the same magnets in the jukebox front panel so when the drawer is closed it pulls it tight against the front panel. If the front panel is grabbed in the right place it slides out about 40cm on runners supporting a drawer for storing remotes, manuals or song lists. When the drawer is pulled out the front leds turn off and a mini fluro is turned on to light up the drawer contents if required.

Vertical lights - there are 2 small mini fluros and 2 longer mini fluros fitted to the cabinet for a bit of that classic jukebox look - I did want to do bubbling water tubing but thought water, electricals, mdf - pass.

I will do another post hopefully tonight with some closeups of the drawer and sub grill.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 07:26:54 AM »
I don't have the space for one that big in my house, but with today's technology it would be relatively easy to make it all fit into something like these:

A couple restaurants near me when I was younger had these. I always thought they were cool. Could put it on an appropriate wall somewhere. That would be fun.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
I don't have the space for one that big in my house, but with today's technology it would be relatively easy to make it all fit into something like these:

A couple restaurants near me when I was younger had these. I always thought they were cool. Could put it on an appropriate wall somewhere. That would be fun.

Nice little unit, though 100 songs - would get bored too quickly.... As for size yes it's big but so are pinballs - goes with the theme and once you have a powered sub, 4 speakers, quality amp and unit for songs it's either this or a tv cabinet style so every for there own.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
Dress trim up close:

The magnets keep it in and my 2 1/2 year old has not discovered it is a drawer yet and she is into everything, though god help me if she does is she swung on it - crack. There are 2 quality drawer slides so the unit extends out alot. The back shot shows a mini fluro that switches on once the drawer goes out and when the unit goes in the front face lights up highlighting the model name - Woodie (what else).

for pinball t-shirts