Author Topic: System 11 Reset  (Read 141 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
System 11 Reset
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
Went and looked at a Dr Dude yesterday, not had much at all to do with Sys 11 stuff. The machine did about 4 resets upon power on - constantly resetting every 2-3 seconds. Then after a while, it booted properly and about 10 secs into a game it reset.

I checked 5V at the game ROM - around 4.96, and didn't seem to drop when resetting (although i'm assuming the DMM may not be fast enough to pick it up?)

-12V was around -13.1V

+12V was around 11.65

I reseated a few connectors with no difference.

One thing i did find, was if i sharply hit the top of the relay with my finger on the Auxiliary Power Driver Board then i would instantly get a reset. Is this part of the reset circuit, or would this indicate maybe a connector or other component on that board being a culprit?

Thanks

Rob

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: System 11 Reset
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »
Check all of the coil diodes, a broken diode can cause resets.  I would start with the flipper and pop bumper coil diodes first.  If nothing looks broken check them with your DMM as well.
Addicted to pins.

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
FYI:
when it comes to measuring voltages on test points, while it's a good (quick) indicator of a voltage being present/missing/correct, you should always measure the voltages on the IC pins themselves, as the test point voltages are often always 'before' all the (faulting) components down the line...

Of course monitoring the 5v on any form of reset/monitoring chip is a must, and any capacitors around the reset circuitry must be changed too.

Also note that while a reset circuit/chip might have a VERY stable 5v on it, it will often be a faulting capacitor associated with that circuitry that's upsetting the reset signal.

Another thing to check (that many many many people overlook) is to not only measure your DC volts (5v, 12v, -12v etc), but also set your multimeter to AC volts, and re-measure those voltages again.
If *any* of the voltage rails has more than say 100mV (milli-volts) of AC on it then you need to look back further at replacing power supply filter capacitors & regulators etc.
( if you have several 'volts' of AC, then you definately have filter-cap issues ).

I see this same issue time & time again on all kinds of equipment outside the pinball genre, and the golden rule is always ".....Get the power supply working correctly FIRST and most faults go away"
No use trying to repair a fault elsewhere if the power supply wont let it work correctly ;-)

Additionally, for boards that reset often, you should see some sort of LED activity on the mainboard each time it resets.....(remember which LEDs are doing what, at bootup, especially if there's an actual rest LED).
Now unplug all external cabling looms to solenoids & switches and other boards (just leave power connected to mainboard) and powerup.
Does it still reset? (watching the LEDs for reset activity that you previously 'remembered'), if YES, then fault is definately on main board.
if it doesn't reset anymore, then the reset fault is being caused by another board, or external wiring on switch/solenoid matrix.

You would then plug in other boards/ribbon cables 1-by-1 and reboot each time, seeing if the reset problem has been re-introduced.....then after all boards are attached, start adding the solenoid loom and switch loom...
Somewhere thru that above 'replugging stage' the reset problem will return and you'll know exactly which board or loom is causing it.....

MM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:25:19 PM by Marty Machine »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
"I see this same issue time & time again on all kinds of equipment outside the pinball genre, and the golden rule is always ".....Get the power supply working correctly FIRST and most faults go away"

Exactly the above - 100%
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals