Author Topic: Adding a GI socket??  (Read 856 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Adding a GI socket??
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
Hi guys. One of my pins is missing a ba9 GI lamp socket - it has the hole in the p/f where the lamp should be but clearly has never had a lamp installed (no screw holes, no wiring etc) - ie. looks to be an oversight when manufactured. The p/f is darkish in the area so I'd like to add the socket. The wiring seems simple enough - but it raised a few qns. 1. how many additional gi lamps can be installed b4 getting into problem territory? Because it's converted to leds (& thus has lower power draw) could I add a heap more if I (theoretically) wanted to? Sorry if silly questions - hope they make sense but so far basic resoldering / replacement of existing wires has been my limit. Thanks, Andy.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Adding a GI socket??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem
Your particular machine may have less lamps than other machines in the same gen anyway

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem
+1 on that
if you are using leds then I can't see it being a problem
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »
^As above.

Generally speaking you should be fine for adding at least a few or more no problems to brighten up dark areas but ultimately it depends on how many existing bulbs are already on the same string.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
Great - ta guys - appreciate the info!
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »
agree with all of the above, but I have a gripe with you mate. Dunno what you call the footer at the bottom of people's posts but what happened to the 'liking lesbians' reference. Have you got a grudge against them now? I am sure lesbians out there are majorly offended being substituted for 'enjoy learning to fix pinballs'
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »
agree with all of the above, but I have a gripe with you mate. Dunno what you call the footer at the bottom of people's posts but what happened to the 'liking lesbians' reference. Have you got a grudge against them now? I am sure lesbians out there are majorly offended being substituted for 'enjoy learning to fix pinballs'

%.%  No offence to lesbians intended - & I still love them - great gals!! As much as I love pinball the lesbians are still a higher priority - it's just that I got to thinking AP was pretty much family-friendly so I might leave it off the signature block for now. Not many lesbian AP members sadly  *.*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:45:37 PM by andypinboy »

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

%.%  No offence to lesbians intended - & I still love them - great gals!! As much as I love pinball the lesbians are still a higher priority - it's just that I got to thinking AP was pretty much family-friendly so I might leave it off the signature block for now. Not many lesbian AP members sadly  *.*

Sometimes lesbianism is the only viable option a woman has in a horrible situation, particularly when the alternative would be to continue to live in abject misery. Can't blame a woman at all for making a choice like that given the circumstances.  *%*

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »
could always use one of these, manually select 1 of 7 different colours on my small rgb board (17 x 37mm)  #@#
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
could always use one of these, manually select 1 of 7 different colours on my small rgb board (17 x 37mm)  #@#

That's cool Swinksy - Shapeways?? The .156 insertion tool is brilliant - super strong, works great, it's been getting a good workout.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 06:21:19 PM »
could always use one of these, manually select 1 of 7 different colours on my small rgb board (17 x 37mm)  #@#

That's cool Swinksy - Shapeways?? The .156 insertion tool is brilliant - super strong, works great, it's been getting a good workout.

nah not Shapeways on this one...  %.%

see if it gets enough interest and then might order a bunch, if not will get a small run for some projects and did it for the challenge and learning curve

great to hear the insertion tool is working
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts