Author Topic: Pinball Rubbers Yellowing  (Read 191 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Pinball Rubbers Yellowing
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
I decided I would give my GNR machine the LED treatment.  So while I was at it I figured I might as well replace all the rubbers and give the playfield a good wax and tidy up etc if I'm pulling stuff apart to get to all the globes.

So I bought myself a new rubber ring kit and decided to go with white rubbers this time instead of black.  However, when I received the kit most of the smaller rubbers look cream not white.  I'm not sure how well it shows up in the photos.  I'm guessing that maybe they are just older perhaps and have therefore yellowed or maybe even seen some sun?

Am I being pedantic here if I decide to send these back wanting all rubbers that are white, not a mix of white and off white/cream?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Pinball Rubbers Yellowing
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
it could be age or even just different batches.

but most things that are white seem to go creamy with age (even me  :lol )

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »
Ive had white rubbers that are white... creamy and some a very pale green colour.
Reason is that they are most likely from different manufacturers as each have their own recipe for the colour... and yes, they also " brown" a little with age

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

I'd be sending them back and requesting a refund. I've come across "shopped" games with the same problem. I think the smaller rubbers are either old rubbers, or poor imitations. Every single NEW rubber I've bought have been the same whiteness. I've only bought rubbers from RTBB or Pinball Resource myself. sometimes I buy the kits - and the colors are always the same.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »

I'd be sending them back and requesting a refund. I've come across "shopped" games with the same problem. I think the smaller rubbers are either old rubbers, or poor imitations. Every single NEW rubber I've bought have been the same whiteness. I've only bought rubbers from RTBB or Pinball Resource myself. sometimes I buy the kits - and the colors are always the same.

+1 . I'd request a refund . I've only bought rubber kits from PBR and colour is always the same for all rubbers .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
Fresh rubber is very important.

I try to avoid buying the kits, as sometimes they have been sitting around for a long long time.

Avoid at all costs the 20+ year old rubbers on eBay, stale and no longer functional.

I'm yet to find a manual which has the correct amount of rubbers & sizes, but I always buy a couple of extra in each size and keep them handy.

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
I probably shouldn't have been lazy and bought the kit. I've got the manual with the parts required, but was too slack to go thru adding each one to my shopping cart.

I was thinking too that if they are older rubber don't they lose some of their "bounce" too?

I bought it from a proper pinball supplier here in oz, not off eBay as I was buying a few other bits and pieces like some colored post rubbers etc. I know it's not big bucks were talking but it's not like they get changed very often so they are going to be sitting on my game for a long time.

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
it could be age or even just different batches.

but most things that are white seem to go creamy with age (even me  :lol )

it would depend on the manufacturer and how clean the factory is-

I can see 3 different manufactures stamps on those rubbers
so its a mixed bag.

And as for you Andrew your creamy from being dead.... it happens 
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia