Author Topic: What's the attraction with Facebook?  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: What's the attraction with Facebook?
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
Some pics and details of my latest 'paying' job....

http://www.facebook.com/HomepinPinball
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
yer i saw that today when you did the update, some very interesting pictures of the led display

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
yer i saw that today when you did the update, some very interesting pictures of the led display

It all went quite well really - I visited the factory three times in all and was trained on the software and they were very open about common problems etc. which was quite refreshing.

When I was testing it in the workshop prior to install I had a few issues and the factory was excellent helping via Skype chat for a few hours with settings and so on. All of this was very worthwhile as the final install went with almost no hitches.…..

This job was worth $100K......should have been more actually

I will add some pics on Facebook about the screen with closeups of the modules and some more display pics in a day or so.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
Nice one, was it hard to get council approval?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »

It all went quite well really - I visited the factory three times in all and was trained on the software and they were very open about common problems etc. which was quite refreshing.

When I was testing it in the workshop prior to install I had a few issues and the factory was excellent helping via Skype chat for a few hours with settings and so on. All of this was very worthwhile as the final install went with almost no hitches.…..

This job was worth $100K......should have been more actually

I will add some pics on Facebook about the screen with closeups of the modules and some more display pics in a day or so.

the module closeups would be cool to see, ive always wondered how they look right up close, how far apart are the led's? its amazing how when you stand away from them how close the led pixels are. how many leds would go into a job that big roughly?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
Nice one, was it hard to get council approval?

The owner applied for - and pushed it through council - with some restrictions.

They cannot show movies, the slides must be no less than 15 seconds apart, the use of green is to be minimised (so as to avoid drivers thinking the lights had changed) and 1 in 10 slides is to be donated to charity (for things like Red Shield Appeal etc).

This screen is pretty typical of most outdoor screens and the pixel spacing is 10mm. Each group of 3 LEDs (R,G & B) is clustered and spaced 10mm from the next cluster.

The LEDs are special oval shaped ones that spread the light sideways to give a wider viewing angle.

On a full white screen the specifications show that the screen draws 1771 amps at 5 volts (not a typo). There are 2 x 60A, 5V power supplies in each cabinet making a total of 40 power supplies and a capacity at 5V of 2400 amps !!!!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
Thats a lot of current on the LED side.

240VAC side would be even more due to losses in the SMPS. The 12V supplies are pretty  inefficient.. never used the 5V.
Its suprising how much these babies cost to run.

Looks good BTW Mike... job well done  ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
Your right about the power consumption Gav! This screen requires 4 separate 10A 220V power points with EACH one capapble of supplying 10 amps - not connected in parallel on the same circuit.

I have updated the facebook page with closeup pics of the modules and also a couple of videos I took in the factory of the assembly process.

http://www.facebook.com/HomepinPinball

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I want a row of modules around the ceiling in my future games room

I also want a laser cutter, I have no use for one, but I want one anyway

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
Well I have truly tried to make a go of Facebook but I have concluded that the designers of it are complete MORONS and it doesn't surprise me one little bit that Facebook has lost HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars since it went public.

I have tried my best but it the most 'user UNfriendly' site I think I have EVER used and I have given up attempting to 'update' it. It is faster and MUCH easier to modify my own website using HTML.

Facebook is COMPLETE RUBBISH and I am now convinced it is a fad that will die.....

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:32 PM »
Well I have truly tried to make a go of Facebook but I have concluded that the designers of it are complete MORONS and it doesn't surprise me one little bit that Facebook has lost HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars since it went public.

I have tried my best but it the most 'user UNfriendly' site I think I have EVER used and I have given up attempting to 'update' it. It is faster and MUCH easier to modify my own website using HTML.

Facebook is COMPLETE RUBBISH and I am now convinced it is a fad that will die.....

oh the fad will die for sure, that is certainly the case, lol. however sorry you are having trouble with it, i was enjoying your updates they were very interesting. there is a for a point where you must advertise the fact you are on facebook, and then you get to a point where you no longer have to, thats a viral effect. on my facebook i have grown allot and i dont need too advertise that i am on facebook anymore.
 i have also noticed that i have got the the point where if i have new product that isnt selling, i post it on my page and say how fantastic it is every body clicks like and bingo that product sells, lol it has been very helpfull reaching people in towns surrounding me that i had trouble reaching outside of our town. since my last posts here i have doubled my facebook likes and my viral reach is over 2000 people.
My buisness has grown considerably, i certainly believe that it is contributed to this form of advertising, there is no way i could have reached the amount of people i have with out it. what is amazing the most to me is having loyal fan base on a business and how people are actually willing to advertise your business.
 thats what i have found any ways. i cant see how facebook can make money, when you dont need to pay for their stupid adds, its so easy to advertise for free on it. virtually they have design a system thats work on viral effect, so efficiently you dont need adds, there system is to efficient to need to pay for adds. the adds are an after thought and that shows and they cant make money.
From time to time i tested how strong my adverts were, so i post my website on my facebook page, i have stats grabber that tells me where the majority of my hits come from, facebook is the strongest source to my webpage out doing google 100 times. yes it will die in the ass one time and when that happens i will be moving with what ever is new to do the same thing. lol
My success could be purely on the type of business i am also. heres my page to see how i am doing it http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mellum-Munchies/115543965165829

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »

I was in IT for 24 years, and I've seen technology advance in areas that are simply amazing. Social Media like Facebook, and leading us back into the caves. The question II used to get asked all the time "You are in IT, how come you are not on facebook". NOW the same people ask me "How do I get off facebook".

I kindly remind them that you cannot remove your footprints from concrete. You may have deleted your photos or comments, but they are not deleted forever.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
oh yer thats for sure. you have to be very very carefull what you post on these things.
i run my business page and thats as far as i go into it. im just taking advantage of all those on it and business is silly not too. lol
My prediction with the fall of facebook is when they finally start to charge for usage or the adds get overwhelming.
atm facebooks problem is people dont click on the adds down the side of the page, lol facebook gets paid for per click.
however when i make a posts, im not putting up an add down the side bar of facebook that no one clicks, lol it appears in their users latest posts, lol the exact place their friends posts show up, so its not being ignored.
the adds are an after thought and he is struggling to make the adds work, they also dont display adds on mobile devices lol, so companies arent paying for adds they are just relying on likes and latest posts in peoples profiles.
i think he will have to start putting in adds in users posts, that is when they will have users switching off, because atm how it is settup is only adds users wish to like will be displayed. no one will tolerate being forced to view adds. thats what i recon will happen to facebook. or now the fact they are on the stock market if they crash facebook will disappear, lol

but hey as long as people are willing to accept my posts which are essentially advertising from my business, im happy to supply that demand to them lol

i should also state my personal account has wrong birthdays, wrong addresses, and plenty of other false details, i dont like the idea of a website holding that sort of info, the sort of info that could possible get you into a bank account. i also dont link up family members to my accounts.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:19:21 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2012, 12:47:33 AM »
I was in IT for 24 years, and I've seen technology advance in areas that are simply amazing. Social Media like Facebook, and leading us back into the caves. The question II used to get asked all the time "You are in IT, how come you are not on facebook". NOW the same people ask me "How do I get off facebook".I kindly remind them that you cannot remove your footprints from concrete. You may have deleted your photos or comments, but they are not deleted forever.
+1
I was in IT for 23 years and will never touch Facebook. Call me an unsocial snob but I have no footprints to hide.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »

Mate I shouldn't have looked at your Facebook page. Now I'm hungry!  @.@ Burgers look awsome and I like the sound of the ribs special.  *%*

oh the fad will die for sure, that is certainly the case, lol. however sorry you are having trouble with it, i was enjoying your updates they were very interesting. there is a for a point where you must advertise the fact you are on facebook, and then you get to a point where you no longer have to, thats a viral effect. on my facebook i have grown allot and i dont need too advertise that i am on facebook anymore.
 i have also noticed that i have got the the point where if i have new product that isnt selling, i post it on my page and say how fantastic it is every body clicks like and bingo that product sells, lol it has been very helpfull reaching people in towns surrounding me that i had trouble reaching outside of our town. since my last posts here i have doubled my facebook likes and my viral reach is over 2000 people.
My buisness has grown considerably, i certainly believe that it is contributed to this form of advertising, there is no way i could have reached the amount of people i have with out it. what is amazing the most to me is having loyal fan base on a business and how people are actually willing to advertise your business.
 thats what i have found any ways. i cant see how facebook can make money, when you dont need to pay for their stupid adds, its so easy to advertise for free on it. virtually they have design a system thats work on viral effect, so efficiently you dont need adds, there system is to efficient to need to pay for adds. the adds are an after thought and that shows and they cant make money.
From time to time i tested how strong my adverts were, so i post my website on my facebook page, i have stats grabber that tells me where the majority of my hits come from, facebook is the strongest source to my webpage out doing google 100 times. yes it will die in the ass one time and when that happens i will be moving with what ever is new to do the same thing. lol
My success could be purely on the type of business i am also. heres my page to see how i am doing it http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mellum-Munchies/115543965165829