Author Topic: Operation Thunderbolt arcade  (Read 305 times)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Operation Thunderbolt arcade
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »
Hey guys I got an operation thunderbolt machine as a project an sourced a board. There seems to be some colours missing. How can I check if it is my monito or the board?

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
Re: Operation Thunderbolt arcade
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
Hey guys I got an operation thunderbolt machine as a project an sourced a board. There seems to be some colours missing. How can I check if it is my monito or the board?

P.s missing Colour seems to be green which is quite ironic being a war game:)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »

There are four wires on the edge connector that represent the three colors - Red, Blue and green. There is a white wire called "sync" and maybe a separate video ground. Make sure the green wire is not loose or cut. The game will still work without the green color (as you have found out). You can also check the chassis for the GREEN color boost. All three colors are there as well.

BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND ARCADE CHASSIS - They bite.

could simply be the green adjustment potentiometer. Failing that, the green bias potentiometer on the neck board could also need adjustment - but I don't recommend that needs adjustment. 
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40:08 PM »

There are four wires on the edge connector that represent the three colors - Red, Blue and green. There is a white wire called "sync" and maybe a separate video ground. Make sure the green wire is not loose or cut. The game will still work without the green color (as you have found out). You can also check the chassis for the GREEN color boost. All three colors are there as well.

BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND ARCADE CHASSIS - They bite.

could simply be the green adjustment potentiometer. Failing that, the green bias potentiometer on the neck board could also need adjustment - but I don't recommend that needs adjustment. 

Thanks NiƱo, I adjusted the colours which helped but when I adjust the green potentiometer nothing really happens and it is very stiff compared to the red and blue.
The wires seem in tact on both ends. I still do think it may be the board now. I am getting my old repaired also so I will be able to compare it soon I guess, I was just lucky to get this board next to nothing.
Fingers crossed though, the game is quite fun

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »
I have checked all wires, and they seem to be on tight enough and cant see any missing wires. I was playing around with the RGB gain pots and the Green pot feels very stiff and when I turn it, it has no effect so I am quite certain that this pot is dean and needs replacing. I will have a crack at re-connecting the green wire to make sure it is making a good connection and possibly replace the green pot and report back.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »
also check where the pins for the plug you checked are soldered to the chassis board, make sure there are no cracks or dry joints. you may need a magnifying glass for this

I have found this problem in many video game and pinball 2000 monitors

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)