Author Topic: Could I use metal?  (Read 182 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Could I use metal?
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
Hey all,

I now realise that I will have to pull Rudy's head completely apart to solve the current eyelid issue , which I am assuming ( hoping )  is only a broken wire etc.

My question is in reference to the 2 x white nylon /plastic linkages in there that control the eyelids, if I have a way of manafacturing them, could I make replacements for them out of metal or aluminium while I have his head pulled apart and replace them once and for all as a complete failsafe for the future?

Or can someone see a reason why this shouldnt be done?

Cheers

DW Drums rule !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Could I use metal?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »
Wotto,

Not sure whether aluminium would be any better.  I've read that a few people in the US manufactured replacments out of Delrin.

http://iobium.com/funhouse_plunger_plastics.htm

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine.  I've only replaced what I have to (couple of pieces) in the nylon but if it needs redoing I would go the Delrin.

Someone had covered mine in grease (internals) so have come out like new from the tumbler.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »
great link - thanks Marty  ^^^
DW Drums rule !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
Wotto, I've been in touch with Pam from PinBits re the Delrin kits...From research there was talk of manufacturing them from brass, but all reports Delrin is the go.

Once I get a price I'll let you know.