Author Topic: Star Trek NG Do modifications improve value or decrease ??  (Read 228 times)

Offline ROWAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Star Trek NG Do modifications improve value or decrease ??
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
Hi
Just noticed this awesome modified Star Trek Next Gen pinball on ebay tonight and thought the modifications looked really cool. Was just wondering what people on here thought of the mods on this one and how it looked and a more general question do these modifications enhance the machine and make it more valueable etc or is it frowned upon. It went for a pretty reasonable price I would have thought and as it looks to be in mint condition - someone probably got a bargain there -was it anyone on here would be interested to see how you find it ??

Cheers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Star-Trek-Next-Generation-Pinball-Machine-/250767008361?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item3a62e0e269

Item Number : 250767008361

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I believe this machine has been up on ebay and was sold once before, but for less money, around the $2800 mark from memory.

Re the mods, I have 2 x Star Trek Next Gen Pinball machines, and both are stock as a rock. I like original, untouched personally.
I think there is something great about walking into a room, and looking at apinball machine, the same exact way it would have been seen 5 minutes after coming off the production line all those years ago. I like Toppers to dress up a machine, but playing with stuff on the playfield is sort of weird territory for some collectors.

I also am a great fan of Star Trek Collectables, and have a large room full of all brand new stuff which goes up in value every year BUT I think these mods look a little cheesy.
You can buy most of these mods off ebay for between $5 to $25 each if u want to go that way, but as long as it can be removed later if u want original again.

Dont get me wrong, if they are removable, there is no big deal in putting them on if thats what floats ya boat, but i feel it clutters the machine up a bit.

Its a personal thing i guess. Lets see what the other guys think.  !@#

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ROWAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Hi Cave
Thanks for yoru response so is that overpriced for that machine I was thinking of buying one with or without the mods and was thinking that one in good nick would be around the $4000 is it possible I could pick one up in really good condition like the one that just sold on ebay for say $3000 or was this one sold a long time ago on ebay and prices have gone up etc  ?
I have played it before and really liked how challenging it was, the look of it and the wide body was awesome!
Cheers
Would love to hear others thoughts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

ST TNG used to sell for $4500 5 years ago. I've never really liked the title until recently when I played Marco's (Pinfan). What attracted me to his machine were the mods, and I think for this title, mods do it justice and increase the value.

Check out his restoration here

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=4316.0

This is the best example of a ST TNG I've ever seen.

These days, using Marco's as a high end pin, you may look at $4500. Typical eBay pins hover around $2700 - $3200.

$4000 will buy you a decent ST TNG !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Rowan,
I purchased a excellent Next Gen over 2 yrs ago and paid $3500 cash 2 x days before xmas from a QLD seller. At that time, it was about $1500 off the going prices. There were not many around at the time, and it had been a difficult pin to find in excellent working condition.

Then, 6 months later, I paid $4,000 for a second nice Next Gen for my brother Rob. Again, prices at that time were around $4500 and had come down a little.
(since these times 2 yrs ago, I reckon over 100 containers of pinballs have been brought into Australia, and with it, probably a good hundred Next Gen Pinballs with those containers).

The prices at Xmas just gone, when the market was shithouse, were around the $2500 to $3000 foir a nice one.
I reckon prices have firmed up a bit since Xmas, and I reckon u will have to pay $3500 to $4,000 for a nice one.

Note- there seem to be none around at the moment, although ebay has new stuff coming n going all the time.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !