Author Topic: ‘Rare’, we need a better word  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: ‘Rare’, we need a better word
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
'Highly sought-after' is the best I can come up with

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Good topic Pete.

Godzilla-1998 Sega - 500 units only, so i bought one. This is VERY RARE because of production numbers, although there are probably 6 or more in the Country, but not many.

Other Sega games with the "concave" Headbox shape like Viper Night Drivin, Starship Troopers, Lost World Jurrassic Park etc, considered rare by world standards cause only 1000 to 1200 units ever made of each title. Again, because of the large importing into Australia, we have probably got alot of the rare titles cause we are constantly cleaning out the stocks from all the other countries that USED to have them.

I would probably rate anything with 1200 units or less as RARE, cause by world standards, thats not many to go around to fifty countries etc.

Some titles which were produced in say the 2200 units area, can be considered RARE because of a different reason. Not RARE due to numbers, but RARE due to the fact that people hang onto them and rarely sell very sought after titles. An example is Black Knight 2000. Not rare for units produced, but a bit RARE due to very low sales listings u see, or dont see around. Thats my interpretation anyway.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
I reckon just throw a blanket right over it and call the " collectable " " super fkn duper collectable " for those hard to track down titles. We are all collectors after all in some way...what you may find it collectable,others may not.
Whenver I see rare in a listing I want to fire up the bbq and whack a few steaks on!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
I agree with one of Homepins,to me rare is that is does not come up for sale often.I always have a laugh at some of the ebay listings when the word rare is mentioned in the comments  *.*,do people think that by using that term it is going to be wanted more  *.*,most of them do not receive a bid.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
I would call my Sega, Big together pinball as Rare.

Rare that it will work again
Rare if i will find any more imformation on this machine
Have found one other person with this machine but no responds to email.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline RGR

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
Bally Spectrum is most definately rare... low production and most sent to the tip... reason? Its a huge lemon! No pop bumpers and awkward to play.
there are 5 balls in play at all times... should the game turn off and one of these balls isnt in its correct position then the game logic gets thrown out and the machine fails to send a ball down to the flippers for play. Bet my arse this is why it failed onsite so badly... funny thing is... the manual doesnt cover this, i had to work it out in order to get the game going... SPECTRUM... stear clear!

After seeing a video of Spectrum being played I would love to own one..

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Bally Spectrum is most definately rare... low production and most sent to the tip... reason? Its a huge lemon! No pop bumpers and awkward to play.
there are 5 balls in play at all times... should the game turn off and one of these balls isnt in its correct position then the game logic gets thrown out and the machine fails to send a ball down to the flippers for play. Bet my arse this is why it failed onsite so badly... funny thing is... the manual doesnt cover this, i had to work it out in order to get the game going... SPECTRUM... stear clear!

After seeing a video of Spectrum being played I would love to own one..

It is an interesting title. The perfect marriage between pinball and Mastermind ! Not a player's game, but great if you have a large collection and you like rare machines. Most I've seen have wear areas in the same places - so it must have been played on location a fair bit.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline blue95

• Forum Posts:
  • Hunter Valley
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
It seems nearly every pinball machine on ebay is 'rare' these days. Or at least 'highly collectable'.
The ones that worry me are the ones that say 'rare, only 300 made' and are missing ramps, toys or backglasses. What chance woud there be to restore any of these?

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 07:30:11 AM »
I saw a Shadow advertised on ebay late last year and in the description it was described as extremly rare and that only 6 were in the country. This suprised me because that would mean I have seen every Shadow in the country (as well as owning one of them)..and they all must be in Victoria :D. I guess that would explain the high starting price of $3500 for what looked like a bit of a roughie.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
It seems nearly every pinball machine on ebay is 'rare' these days. Or at least 'highly collectable'.
The ones that worry me are the ones that say 'rare, only 300 made' and are missing ramps, toys or backglasses. What chance woud there be to restore any of these?

I think this is a huge problem that eBay cannot possible police. There are still honest sellers on eBay - mostly private sales with poor pictures and lack detailed descriptions. These guys know nothing about the game, and sell it because no one plays them any more.

The "rare" and "collectible" tag is used too often, and it is used to mislead the buying public. Another trend is assertion that missing or defective parts don't affect gameplay. My favorite is "Display is missing a couple of lines but it does not effect gameplay". Why not remove the display completely - that also does not "affect gameplay". It is a joke !

The rare games missing parts are a huge risk. I bought a project Flight 2000 only after ensuring the playfield was going to reproduced and I could buy the VERY rare VS-100 Vocalizer board. I have a Freefall with a poor playfield, but I took the risk. Price reflected the condition of the machine.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
pinballs are not rare in australia  there all going to end up here  @.@