Author Topic: WTB The Shadow  (Read 2714 times)

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: WTB The Shadow
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
 @@* Nice 1

seen the alternate translite.

the 2 on ebay both sold roughly same price 2.7

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
@@* Nice 1

seen the alternate translite.

the 2 on ebay both sold roughly same price 2.7

Yeah they look great, the alternate translate and speaker panel are on the way too.
 ^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
Well done. It's a great game that is a far better package than many pins that cost three times the price.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Loving the shadow.
 ()

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
looks to have Sanctum wear, ask for some close up pics of that area & PF in general, maybe it can be snagged around 2.5 +/-  ish, good luck  ()

This was the vic (box hill) one at 2.7k?

It did have a lot of sanctum wear, which I filled with 2 part car bog and put the sanctum sticker (someone on ebay sells them) over it, not even close colour match but still looks much better...

I hammered the guy down and we shook on 2.1k which was a good deal for me I think, decals are fine and playfield other than sanctum was great (once I cleaned it, was filthy), some crappy repair work I have redone, not surprising bumper action repairs (silicon everywhere)..

Just managed to get the replacement translite etc in the last batch too, and putting ColorDMD (sigma) in it, I can understand why people hunt this game it is a lot of fun, still loving it Cow Corner?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:05:14 PM by joele »
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: add back
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
Anyone asking over $3000 for a Shadow is dreaming. I had one and its a great game, but high $2000s max, unless its in as new condition.

totally agree with oldmate Daz/Rotty

I remember up here on the Goldy/Brissy, just 12 to 24 months ago, u couldn't give one away for $1600 or $1800.
I think a lot of prices are over inflated by the melb dealrs to say 3700, then joe public down there wipes off thirty percent n says $2500 to $3,000. Far too dear.
I would pay 3 K only for an absolute minter. We were getting them out of containers unshopped n working from $400 to $800 depending on cabinet condition/playfield etc.

Note - this is a game where ALL flipper mechs have to be refurbished from day one with playfield cleaned n waxed like a babys bum with new balls. The metal high ramp shots are impossible unless you do the beforementioned, and make sure the legs are set a t perfect factory level.

I have seen one shopped professionally recently, and the red ruby rings with silver etc etc, make this a beauty for sure.
Artwork is different, but that's what makes the pinball very fun. Goodluck in your search.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
Heh - I love reading the old threads. Caveoftreasures can I please put in an order for 10 of your $1600 Queensland Shadows delivered to the ACT!  I would honestly take them all (as long as they are complete & working).

I've spent 12 months searching for a Shadow - dodging dealers with "spray can" touched-up machines asking as much as $5k while trying to find a half-decent privately-held machine around the $3k mark. I saw three Shadows come up for sale in NSW over the 12 months to Jan 2015, all asking $3k plus. All very average, not shopped, no mods, no leds, nothing. One was stored under a patio literally touching a bbq & was sporting a nice coat of dust - even it was gone at full price within hours (none were a case of the seller just asking for a price & the machine not selling).

Not mentioning names an AP member recently had what IMO was a very avg looking one on ebay for $3.45k (or thereabouts) - even it sold (outside of ebay I assume - but likely around $3k or more).

What I've seen is that prices differ MASSIVELY between states & also vary over time by title. Unlike Sterns they really aren't making more & after looking for a Shadow (& taking close interest in several other titles) for a year it's a sure thing that Qld is the cheapest market by miles - expected as many things are cheaper there (including labour) - but I'd love to hear if you can find a decent Shadow now for $1600 (& I'll definitely take it thank you very much). Melbourne is also a markedly "cheaper" market than Sydney & Canberra (& also has a much greater volume of machines coming up for sale).

Cowcorner, are you still loving your Shadow?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:03:01 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
 !^!My friend sold a Shadow less than 18 months ago for $1800 to a guy who put it in a fish n chip shop a few hours drive from me.
He added $200 to the $1600 price cause he put in new coin mechs. You couldn't sell them for anymore than $2200 up here going back 18 months for the prior three or more years. There were so many in QLD from so many container importers.

A Shadow today is not worth a cent more than $2500 even in this inflated market.
Prices in the last 18 months have gone up by 30 percent, maybe more cause 90 percent of the container importers have stopped bringing in 4 or 5 containers a year.
YES QLD is soo much cheaper than anywhere else.
It's because QLD container importers were 3 times more prevelent than VIC Container importers and I reckon each container importer did double or triple of what I ever heard and saw from other states.

People up here paid a lot less than others paid for their machines so private sellers don't usually ask for soo much money on resale. But GREED has overtaken the DMD resale industry now.
It's only when you know what people paid and just how little the container importers up here were paying, that you realise what a rip off the prices have now become.

I used to see a different container every month from one of about a dozen importers. In the last 18 months I haven't seen one container bought in or unloaded and I used to get called by most everytime cause I was always buying and aiming for 50 machines and was cashed up. One commercial seller up here has done a few containers but it's a fifth of what he used to bring in. His prices have skyrocketed and its a bad cash grab from people who seem uneducated as to what the importers are paying for Euro containers of good pins. They are still doubling their money after working out landed costs.
No one is bringing in containers anymore really, so prices have gone stupid.

If you are chasing a Shadow, chase all the QLD sellers.
$2500 is what I would pay and not a cent more for a nice one. $2750 if it's your Grail pin.
Have you contacted all the QLD sellers of late ?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:23:58 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
Heh - I'm guessing you are NOT a DMD fan. The Shadow is the only title I initially wanted as played it A LOT at the student union *%* - but my interest has broadened to about 3 bally's & one stern.

What you are saying is that the market is currently inflated - but a market is a market - if in NSW three average quality machines sold within a day at $3k upwards then this is their market value at that time - at least one person was willing to pay $3k or more. People "generally" don't want to buy interstate b/c of freight & they want to see & play the machine (there are exceptions to this). This is why markets differ - if Qld gets a surge of imports it pushes up supply & perhaps prices are a bit lower in that state - but impacts on other states are much more subtle.

There's currently a dr who on ebay for $3k. What's it worth to me? Zero as I'm not really a fan.  What's it's market value? Probably $2k to $2.5k. If it was a pristine, low-play game or restored (instead of faded & worn) what's it's value? My guess is $3.5k in Melbourne, $4k in Sydney. That's the price in those markets - even if you could only get $500 for it in Brisbane.

But, agree if you knew & trusted the seller Qld is the market to buy in - that's where I'm looking for an ac/dc prem. What price do you think?

Added: how much are BSDs going for in Queensland - has to be in very good condition??
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:01:49 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 03:37:01 AM »
Most of my collection is DMD. Love them. I have SS titles as well.

I am a fan of everything pinball but not a fan of the crazy prices people are asking.
Buy from Qld and don't worry about Freight as its only apx $200 to $300 tops. The prices in QLD are still the best.

Everything else you say in your post is absolutely spot on.

A second hand Premium ACDC has climbed in value since production at Stern on anything ACDC has come to a snails pace, if not a stop. I reckon you will have to pay a minimum of $6250 and up to $7500 because replacement cost with a crappy Australian $ Dollar has made Stern prices soar.

Bram Stockers Dracula is also a title that was huge in import numbers up here. The last one I saw sold was Apx 9 months ago. It was mint and sold for $2500 cash on pick up private sale. Again a title which now is much dearer in most other states.

Anyone wanting to buy a pinball from QLD can always ask a QLD forum member to go and check out a pinball which is easy for us to go and see compared to interstate people.

In some ways it's a dam shame prices everywhere have gone so high. It's great for people who bought very low and are selling very high but it makes it so much harder for people to build their collections.
I wish the Aussie dollar was back around the $1.15 it was and people started importing again.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:10:14 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »
Thanks heaps for this - if I can buy a mint (non-faded, perfect playfield, recently rebuilt flippers with as new coils, new or unfaded & uncracked plastics, preferably leds throughout) BSD for $2.5k I would be VERY happy. At that price, as long as it is checked out first I'm happy to pay Qld to Canberra freight $$!! I hope to advertise later on AP as a WTB but if one comes up that is pristine at that price or less PLEASE would you mind shooting me a pm?! In NSW the ones I've seen have been advertised at $2.8k to $3.25k & generally have not been well-cared for or updated in a long time. The Drac writing is often white instead of red, dents in side rails, broken plastics, weak flippers - but they still sell (take longer to sell than Shadows - but still usually gone within a week).

Re ac/dc what kind of things make the diff between $6250 & $7500?? Obviously game count plus general condition - but eg. the "cloudy" lower p/f glass is used as a negotiating point. Mods are usually stripped rather than sold with the game - that's fine. What else? It's a big range & $7,500 getting up there - but yeah the $Aud has tanked.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
Just had a look at evilbay & an acdc prem in vic is still sitting at $6450 with some mod or other (apparently exc condn, one owner - who knows without looking) - but my view is most ebay pins are $500+ overpriced - plus deal offline & save $300 immedly. So there's one effectively for $6k unsold.. Doesn't this suggest the price range starts at $6k or lower? And in Qld where pins are the cheapest in Oz - maybe just a tad lower still? I think if I'm patient I could find one for $5,500 or $5,750? Or am I missing something?

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
I sold my shadow for 3k, good game but it was time for something else.
Next!
6K for a 2nd hand acdc prem is overs imo, there are better titles that 6k can get.