Author Topic: Lockdown bar 'crinkle' paint question  (Read 506 times)

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Lockdown bar 'crinkle' paint question
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:57:22 AM »
Hi all,
Posting a question here on behalf of my father. He likes to sand back the lockdown bar, trim and legs of my pinball machines and re-paints them whenever we get a new machine in. Lately he's been trying to find out the paint method for the current Stern pinball machines and the crinkle type paint finish. Does anyone know how to get this effect and what paint to shop for?

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Re: Lockdown bar 'crinkle' paint question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:51:51 AM »
I thought it was powdercoating, I get legs done in a hammer finish at a local powdercoater and price is $5-$6 each, That is after i have sand blasted them, but not sure if they have a crinkle finish. I know he uses Dulux coatings , so maybe look up Dulux and see if there is a crinkle finish available
One-Ball!

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Like ralph said, I would be opting for powdercoating for a bit more durability. The powdercoater I use does carry a range of wrinkle finish powdercoats but I have never used that type on my machines so cannot comment on accuracy/quality.

This guy in the US seems to have had some success with paint though:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-sega-stern-lockdown-bar-paint-ive-done-it-rattle-can-paint-match

http://www.autobarn.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=VHT+Black+WRINKLE+PLUS++Part%23VHT+SP201+Coating-+11+oz.+Aerosol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:26:40 PM by pinsanity »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
Just checked my powdercoat colour charts and both Dulux and Interpon carry a ripple/wrinkle range.

Dulux -Black Sarouk 51146

Interpon - Ripple Graphite EY422A for a gray colour or Ripple Black MN427A for black.

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
The best way to do this is to buy the Ultra Heat Treated or UHT wrinkle paint from Supercheap or Bursons. Then after preparing the lockdown bar or other piece, simply apply heat using a heat gun and once hot apply the wrinkle UHT paint. This will give you as good as professional results!

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
This is all great info, guys. Many thanks. I have no idea about paints, but will go over these posts with my dad and I'm guessing he'll be very thankful and no doubt experiment with different paints. He's been enquiring at the paint shops, but this will give him a better focus. Will report back.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »
Good to know it is available in powedcoat,. I really would use powdercoating. In the past i have painted legs using the canned epoxy paint . with 3 coats of primer, then 3-4 top coats , looks good and quite a hard surface, but will still chip and painting worked out at about $25 to $30 for 4 legs. Which is probably dearer than  powdercoating , if you can get it done for $5-$6 per leg . Here  is a pic of a leg that has had a Hammertone gun metal powdercoating applied.
One-Ball!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
Just remember the $5 price did not include sand blasting which would need to be done
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »
The best way to do this is to buy the Ultra Heat Treated or UHT wrinkle paint from Supercheap or Bursons. Then after preparing the lockdown bar or other piece, simply apply heat using a heat gun and once hot apply the wrinkle UHT paint. This will give you as good as professional results!

Dad's eyes lit up when I read this to him. Printing it out for him and he's off to buy the supplies.
 ^^^

Offline The Silence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »
I just got some of the satin black wrinkle powder coating done for the legs and lockdown bar. Looks excellent and very hard to chip.