Author Topic: Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:44:11 AM »
I have only been into pinball for the last 2 years and i have found i am a big fan of the DMD era. I have tried the older styles and i find them a little slow for my tastes, i do like the idea of having one of each style though to compliment my DMD collection. I am not looking to buy anytime soon but would like to get an idea from people that do like the EM and SS eras what they believe are the best machines.

The idea would be to have just one of each so i would want the pin to be a great player for its time above all else. Obviously if it looks great that is a bonus as well! I only plan to have 5 to 8 DMD machines max.

I have played a Black Hole and i did like that and i love the look of the machine, but then i played a Haunted House and liked the game better, but liked the look and theme of Black Hole better than Haunted House. I have no idea on EM machines and am hoping for some good suggestions.

I guess all i am really asking for is your personal favorite EM and SS and why. But it can only be one of each, I do apologise if this is a silly thread it was the middle of the night and i cant sleep.  !@) (((

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »
For me I went for a surf champ for a EM  for the surfing  theme alone but it is a fun player with a bit of everything - spinner, roll overs, drops, etc. the surfer is the 2 player version with a different back glass. I have only played a hand full of EM's so not much help here.

For a early SS I remember black hole well, very popular in the 80's and fun, but surprisingly a lot of slow and boring players like the popular playboy etc. I liked my skateball when I had it heaps of drops and still a fast game.

Not my video but gives you a taste

&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:58:49 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
Black Hole is the complete SS package - lots of good shots, lots of targets, brilliantly implemented multiball, balanced scoring. Achieving a good multiball starting downstairs, then the switch to upstairs three ball is really well done rule wise. Despite the large window area creating an open playfield, the game does not feel like it has unused territory.

However, you said *only one*, so I am going to put Firepower up for the SS though - great theme, great layout, great sounds and voice calls. Like Black Hole it was ahead of other games by a long margin - between games on DMD's and back to this, it does not feel like an old game. Getting multi-ball is not easy - can be challenging and frustrating as it seems to last only seconds a lot of the time. But it keeps me coming back, more than any other SS I have or have owned.

For EM, I played a few when deciding, like you, to get one EM to round out the collection. I started playing at the tail end of the EM era, so had a soft spot for some chimes. It had to be a Gottlieb Wedgehead given they were pound for pound the leaders of the era. Ultimately I settled on King Pin as I recalled it from a milk bar on my paper round as a kid, and love the layout - wide open "bowling lane" to the ten "pins" (drop targets). The little "Frustrator Flippers"  as I like to call them up the top are both annoying and fun at the same time. The game play is reasonably fast too, and rather challenging. Round one is a score round, and when you get the ten pins, round two offer a moving 5,000, and then if you get to round three (rare for me), a moving special to collect which is really satisfying. Only trouble is that the theme doesn't really appeal to me as I am not into bowling (and I have resigned to the fact that I am somewhat one dimensional with pinball - if it's not sci-fi I don't enjoy it as much). For sale at the moment http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10174.msg132508#msg132508
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
A really hard question so many good ones. For me I'll stick with ones I own or have owned in the past.
EM- Solar City a great drop target EM.
SS- Flash I love the sounds a bit of everything and not that hard or expensive to obtain a nice one.
So many other great machines out there the problem I find with asking other peoples advice is that as with everything (and maybe even more so in the pinball world) one mans trash is another mans treasure so you really need to play them for yourself if you get the chance.
My favorite era is SS because that is the main era of pinball from childhood so really it's all sentimental but if I was to be 100% honest I would have to say that no EM or SS gets the blood pumping like a good game on a good DMD.
I'm trying to build a small mixed collection of keepers from each era..best of both worlds.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »
SS - Firepower. Fast, brutal, addictive. When you get to understand the ball flow, you will find this the most satisfying machine from the 80s.
EM - Golden Arrow. This one will test your ball shot skills around the playfield. Getting the lit golden arrow shots accumulated your points mighty quick. This was a late model EM so the reels would roll over super fast. Needs to be properly shopped for best experience.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
never really got into Firepower until the last time I was at Nick's house and played his (restored) FP,
that game is 100% fun & addictive to play.
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
The only machine I have prior to 1989, out of all the DMD machines, is a 1978 Phoenix by Williams.
I saw this machine when i was a 8 yr old kid, and then no pinnys for 30 plus years.
Some think it is basic, but what I like about it, is the really bright Pink Cabinet colours with some white n orange, combined with the playfields yellows n reds n whites. It feels a little ahead of its time being so super bright with all these really nice bright colours. If u can find a really nice one, with a nice backglass, they present beautifully when done up, and can be relatively cheap to purchase IF u can find a good one.
I am doing a full resto on mine, and I have bought a 2nd playfield-populated, another backglass and lots of goodies to make her like new.

It all depends on whether u want a fun project, or a plug n play purchase that is ready to go.

One of the reasons I like Phoenix, is only a few people I know on all of AP have one. Jeff-PinballHeaven, and I am not sure of who else at all.
Grab something that next to no-one else has, just to be different.
I also notice, pins of this era, sell very quickly when machines are offered up for sale, so u cant go wrong if u chop n change your mind.

Enjoy your hunt/look and decision making when the time is right.  ^^^
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:40:42 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
All good choices so far. One comment I'd like to make regarding the speed of an EM or SS. A properly restored or reconditioned game will play fast (for it's time period). A poorly done game will plod along - no flipper kits, sluggish drop target and pop bumpers, filthy mylar etc etc. Give me a slow EM and I'll make it play fast. Same with SS. Jady's suggestion of Skateball is 100% - That game is "as fast" as any DMD. Nick's Firepower is as fast as any DMD (New playfield). You need a point of reference with regard to the speed of the older games. A fully restored EM and SS will play at it's full potential when reconditioned or restored properly.

EM - Spirit of 76, Buccaneer, King Pin, Sky Jump, Target Alpha and Surf Champ

SS - Black Hole (widebody), Firepower, Skateball, KISS, Fathom, Joker Poker, Galaxy and Meteor

The "ultimate" combination would be Medusa / Meteor and Target Alpha / Sky Jump
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Online oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:51:06 AM »
If you like FAST, a FANTASTIC light show with AWESOME sound, BEAUTIFUL to look at and absolutely kicks you ass- you MUST play SPACE STATION by Williams. With no ball return lanes all your flipper skills WILL be tested. Get the bonus time at the end of the game for a really nice original sound track that gets the blood pumping.
As far as EM's go I really like JET SPIN, I played this recently and had an absolutely great time with this. Varitargets and rotary targets are bloody COOOL.
I am also bias towards my 2001 I am restoring as with 2" flipper and 20 drop targets it is also a great game and a classic wedge head.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
EM - Spirit of 76

SS - Paragon

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
For SS I too vote for  Firepower . It is fast, unforgiving and forever challenging to play .
Low scores and blindingly fast games are quite normal which keeps you wanting to come back and try to beat it .

Good to see there is some love for Black Hole as I recently bought a project one (currently in pieces), and looking forward to getting it up and running .

I don't have a particular EM to recommend but strongly suggest getting a single player game because any bonus etc carries over from ball to ball which , to me, makes the game more enjoyable .
Also, I've found many Williams single player EM's are just as good as Gottlieb's and are usually much cheaper .
One example is Gulfstream .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
For SS I too vote for  Firepower . It is fast, unforgiving and forever challenging to play .
Low scores and blindingly fast games are quite normal which keeps you wanting to come back and try to beat it .

Good to see there is some love for Black Hole as I recently bought a project one (currently in pieces), and looking forward to getting it up and running .

I don't have a particular EM to recommend but strongly suggest getting a single player game because any bonus etc carries over from ball to ball which , to me, makes the game more enjoyable .
Also, I've found many Williams single player EM's are just as good as Gottlieb's and are usually much cheaper .

Absolutely.. a Williams EM will set you back a bit less $$ wise than a Gottlieb.. but they play way faster.. no good if you want drop targets though - you have to go back to a WMS 60's machine to get this feature. Bally EM games are often hidden treasures.. again cheaper still but often great games... CAPERSVILLE i found a complete suprise... zipper flippers and multi ball.. what a cracking game this is and the ALADDINS CASTLE i recently cleaned up for a customer i didnt want to let go.. great looker and really fun to play with some awesome combo shots ( i miss that spinner!!!)... Gottliebs play a bit slower but they do have some awesome drop target games.. its what 70's GTB games are famous for!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »

Absolutely.. a Williams EM will set you back a bit less $$ wise than a Gottlieb.. but they play way faster.. no good if you want drop targets though - you have to go back to a WMS 60's machine to get this feature. Bally EM games are often hidden treasures.. again cheaper still but often great games... CAPERSVILLE i found a complete suprise... zipper flippers and multi ball.. what a cracking game this is and the ALADDINS CASTLE i recently cleaned up for a customer i didnt want to let go.. great looker and really fun to play with some awesome combo shots ( i miss that spinner!!!)... Gottliebs play a bit slower but they do have some awesome drop target games.. its what 70's GTB games are famous for!

Not too far back mate - Williams "Big Deal" has two banks of drop targets. I used to have one and it was a bloody quick game.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »
I'm looking to do something similar over time to your pin wishlist strategy Cursed.
I haven't played too many EM's so can't really help you there. As fas as SS, I'm also a Black Hole fan, but like you I'll be weighting my collection more to the DMD's.

Good luck in your research/search. That's the fun part, but narrowing it down to one is also the hard part...
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts