Author Topic: Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
For SS I too vote for  Firepower . It is fast, unforgiving and forever challenging to play .
Low scores and blindingly fast games are quite normal which keeps you wanting to come back and try to beat it .

Good to see there is some love for Black Hole as I recently bought a project one (currently in pieces), and looking forward to getting it up and running .

I don't have a particular EM to recommend but strongly suggest getting a single player game because any bonus etc carries over from ball to ball which , to me, makes the game more enjoyable .
Also, I've found many Williams single player EM's are just as good as Gottlieb's and are usually much cheaper .
One example is Gulfstream .

Absolutely.. a Williams EM will set you back a bit less $$ wise than a Gottlieb.. but they play way faster.. no good if you want drop targets though - you have to go back to a WMS 60's machine to get this feature. Bally EM games are often hidden treasures.. again cheaper still but often great games... CAPERSVILLE i found a complete suprise... zipper flippers and multi ball.. what a cracking game this is and the ALADDINS CASTLE i recently cleaned up for a customer i didnt want to let go.. great looker and really fun to play with some awesome combo shots ( i miss that spinner!!!)... Gottliebs play a bit slower but they do have some awesome drop target games.. its what 70's GTB games are famous for!

Not too far back mate - Williams "Big Deal" has two banks of drop targets. I used to have one and it was a bloody quick game.

Forgot that title.. DC flippers too.. great game!

Offline GAP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
EM - Sky Jump or Bucanneer, both single player wedgeheads (Gottlieb)

SS - Black Hole

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
SS-Flash (Williams).... EM King Pin (Gottlieb)... Flash was one of my favourites when i was a teenager and King Pin i recently restored for Chille so i am a bit biased about that one. I do own a Black Hole also and that's up there in the SS range!
One-Ball!

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions!  ^^^

I have started looking into the EM's and i must say Capersville has really caught my eye! Thanks Retropin! Also will look into Centigrade 37, Jet Spin, Target Alpha and Fireball. After looking at some of the EM's i have realised i am a big fan of interative toys and innovations/gimmicks

Firepower seems to be a big favorite for SS so i will have to look into that one by the look of it.

Still lots of research to do though (thanks for the EM link Swinks). So please keep the recomendations coming.

I sometimes think i enjoy the 'hunt' more than the 'catch'.  #@#
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:40:40 PM by Cursed »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
Centigrade 37, Jet Spin, Target Alpha and Fireball

All great titles... FIREBALL is impossible to source as all are firmly locked into collections and very very rarely come up for sale.
TARGET ALPHA.. SOLAR CITY.. EL DORADO.. CANADA DRY .. GOLD STRIKE... LUCKY STRIKE are all the same game.. artwise though i have to give it to TARGET ALPHA followed by SOLAR CITY.
I just got my SC working 100% with new drops installed and thoroughly enjoying the game   ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »

Fireball is a HARD game to track down. I've spent a few years looking for one, and I was rewarded with a HUO example which is on its way. Probably the best multi player EM ever made. My favorite is still Spirit of 76 for sentimental reasons.

If you are looking to buy an EM or SS, check my current inventory, and keep you eye out for an announcement on another container load of SS and EMs  #@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
Williams 1971 "Klondike" is my EM choice

SS would be between Meteor, Firepower, Strikes & Spares, Kiss, Gorgar or Black Knight
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »

Fireball is a HARD game to track down. I've spent a few years looking for one, and I was rewarded with a HUO example which is on its way. Probably the best multi player EM ever made. My favorite is still Spirit of 76 for sentimental reasons.

If you are looking to buy an EM or SS, check my current inventory, and keep you eye out for an announcement on another container load of SS and EMs  #@#

Figures i really like the look and the gameplay (from videos) of Fireball, Is Capersville a rare machine?

I will have a look Nino for sure.  ^^^ Will also keep my eyes peeled for another container, wouldn't happen to have a (spare) Fireball or Capersville in it would you.  #@# %$%

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 08:13:06 PM »

If you are looking to buy an EM or SS, check my current inventory, and keep you eye out for an announcement on another container load of SS and EMs  #@#

Figures i really like the look and the gameplay (from videos) of Fireball, Is Capersville a rare machine?

I will have a look Nino for sure.  ^^^ Will also keep my eyes peeled for another container, wouldn't happen to have a (spare) Fireball or Capersville in it would you.  #@# %$%

Capersville - All the Ballys from this era are severely underestimated. I started seriously collecting these titles years ago, before others realized their potential. Dogies, Rock Makers, Nip It, 4 Million BC, Fireball, Gator, Mariner, Twin Win, Air Aces - basically unheard of in Australia. I don't have a Capersville, but I might have a lead overseas for almost all these titles. They are hard to come by in Australia. Capersville is an affordable game and more bang for buck than anything Williams or Gottlieb released around the same time. Fireball is SUPER rare and VERY VERY expensive. I have a HUO on its way and I won't let that go for under $4000. Capersville would be a $1500 - $1750 reconditioned.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
First up, great question and great thread! For me when I brought my first machine (DE Star Wars) I didn't think I'd be interested in anything other than more DMD's. Now that I've played more SS games, I probably like them more than the DMD games I've played and I can seen my collection leaning more towards these machines with a DMD or two just to mix it up. I really love my Bally Flash Gordon machine. I'm currently doing it up but even with the crusty old playfield it was a fast game and tough to get a long ball time on. Its a Split level game, three flippers, three pop bumpers, two way kick out hole and my favourite, lots of drop targets including inline drop targets. The games got some great call outs and the sound increasingly builds up faster and faster the longer you keep the ball in play. For me its totally absorbing.

Lots of great games to choose from though. Like always, play as many as you can, you'll be the best judge of what you like. Theres plenty of games others have mentioned that I'd love to try too. I've never played Black hole and that seems to have been mentioned quite a bit. Good luck with the decision and I look forward to reading others suggestions.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Fireball is an absolute ripper of a machine but as Nino has mentioned, you can almost forget about owning the EM version.  Dont discount Fireball Classic which is the SS version, it just doesnt have the zipper flippers which is a shame.

There are some good value for money Gtb Sys 1 machines as well.  You have the popular machines like Joker Poker and Genie but Sinbad is a good game as well.  I bought a project  Sinbad a fair while ago that I was intending to tidy up and sell but I have still got it and still enjoy playing it regularly.

Another good EM machine is Jacks Open.  Your biggest problem will be finding nice examples of any of the machines already mentioned, most of them are tucked away in private collections and rarely come up for sale.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
Fireball is an absolute ripper of a machine but as Nino has mentioned, you can almost forget about owning the EM version.  Dont discount Fireball Classic which is the SS version, it just doesnt have the zipper flippers which is a shame.

There are some good value for money Gtb Sys 1 machines as well.  You have the popular machines like Joker Poker and Genie but Sinbad is a good game as well.  I bought a project  Sinbad a fair while ago that I was intending to tidy up and sell but I have still got it and still enjoy playing it regularly.

Another good EM machine is Jacks Open.  Your biggest problem will be finding nice examples of any of the machines already mentioned, most of them are tucked away in private collections and rarely come up for sale.

Agreed, the Gtb System 1 machines are great and Sinbad is a ripper. You couldn't sell it Blair, it's the only reason I come around  <.>  %.%

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
I am really glad i started this thread now as there is alot of passion here for the older machines.

I have been looking at alot of EM machines today online and it is safe to say there is ALOT to choose from! I also am going to assume that card games were big back in the 60's and 70's holy cow there are alot based on cards i was really shocked at how many there are. Also learned that there are alot of different (more or less) versions of the same machine as well, and even from EM to SS (Fireball and Joker Poker for exampe).

A little early i realise and i have not played them but after looking at alot of them and videos on youtube i am down to 2 EM's that seemed to gel with me straight away. Fireball and Capersville, going by the comments here Fireball will be a tough find (not that i am in any rush though) so looks like Capersville may be my EM of choice. Not really looking to spend upwards of 4K on an EM at this point. I will do a bit more research so keep the EM suggestions coming, but Nino i would say i will be in contact soon.

In saying that has anyone else played Capersville? Thoughts, good or bad?

I will take my time with choosing a SS as i believe that will be a much harder decision. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, keep them coming!  *%*

I really love my Bally Flash Gordon machine. I'm currently doing it up but even with the crusty old playfield it was a fast game and tough to get a long ball time on. Its a Split level game, three flippers, three pop bumpers, two way kick out hole and my favourite, lots of drop targets including inline drop targets. The games got some great call outs and the sound increasingly builds up faster and faster the longer you keep the ball in play. For me its totally absorbing.

Are you going to Supanova this coming weekend? You could get Sam Jones/Flash Gordon himself to sign your backglass or any other part that you choose. Short trip down to Melbourne for Flash Gordons autograph!  %$%

Offline greenechidna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:10 AM »
Capersville was at Pinfest last year....a really nice example. I enjoyed it for the limited time it was available(it had a few issues over the weekend). Very fast and zipper flippers are cool.
I'd reccommend GTB Abra Ca Dabra, Outer Space and  WMS  Klondike (...owned and played daily) If you see a GTB 4 Square buy it, or better still PM me. GTB High Hand is pretty much my favorite wedgehead.

Bally Bobby Orr Powerplay is a fantastic player if you can cope with the ice hockey theme. I really loved  Mitch's Six Million Dollar Man when I had the chance to play it. Bally SS's in my limited experience are silky smooth and there is something about the plastics and p/f finish that makes them magic for me...they seem to glow in a way the others dont

I'd reccommend you attend Newcastle Pinfest in September and get some time up on a few machines. $#$ $#$ $#$

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »

Agreed, the Gtb System 1 machines are great and Sinbad is a ripper. You couldn't sell it Blair, it's the only reason I come around  <.>  %.%

Noted.  Now I know how to get rid of you.
Addicted to pins.