Author Topic: Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Best single EM and SS game for a DMD collection?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 07:51:22 AM »
I am really glad i started this thread now as there is alot of passion here for the older machines.

I have been looking at alot of EM machines today online and it is safe to say there is ALOT to choose from! I also am going to assume that card games were big back in the 60's and 70's holy cow there are alot based on cards i was really shocked at how many there are. Also learned that there are alot of different (more or less) versions of the same machine as well, and even from EM to SS (Fireball and Joker Poker for exampe).

A little early i realise and i have not played them but after looking at alot of them and videos on youtube i am down to 2 EM's that seemed to gel with me straight away. Fireball and Capersville, going by the comments here Fireball will be a tough find (not that i am in any rush though) so looks like Capersville may be my EM of choice. Not really looking to spend upwards of 4K on an EM at this point. I will do a bit more research so keep the EM suggestions coming, but Nino i would say i will be in contact soon.

In saying that has anyone else played Capersville? Thoughts, good or bad?

I will take my time with choosing a SS as i believe that will be a much harder decision. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, keep them coming!  *%*

I really love my Bally Flash Gordon machine. I'm currently doing it up but even with the crusty old playfield it was a fast game and tough to get a long ball time on. Its a Split level game, three flippers, three pop bumpers, two way kick out hole and my favourite, lots of drop targets including inline drop targets. The games got some great call outs and the sound increasingly builds up faster and faster the longer you keep the ball in play. For me its totally absorbing.

Are you going to Supanova this coming weekend? You could get Sam Jones/Flash Gordon himself to sign your backglass or any other part that you choose. Short trip down to Melbourne for Flash Gordons autograph!  %$%

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see what I can do to get there. I love the movie to, if anyone hasn't seen it for a while JB Hifi now have it for $9.99

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »
Fireball is an absolute ripper of a machine but as Nino has mentioned, you can almost forget about owning the EM version.  Dont discount Fireball Classic which is the SS version, it just doesnt have the zipper flippers which is a shame.

There are some good value for money Gtb Sys 1 machines as well.  You have the popular machines like Joker Poker and Genie but Sinbad is a good game as well.  I bought a project  Sinbad a fair while ago that I was intending to tidy up and sell but I have still got it and still enjoy playing it regularly.

Another good EM machine is Jacks Open.  Your biggest problem will be finding nice examples of any of the machines already mentioned, most of them are tucked away in private collections and rarely come up for sale.

Agreed, the Gtb System 1 machines are great and Sinbad is a ripper. You couldn't sell it Blair, it's the only reason I come around  <.>  %.%

Noted.  Now I know how to get rid of you.

%.% either that or tell me your beers run out!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:59:14 AM by Crashramp »

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Capersville was at Pinfest last year....a really nice example. I enjoyed it for the limited time it was available(it had a few issues over the weekend). Very fast and zipper flippers are cool.
I'd reccommend GTB Abra Ca Dabra, Outer Space and  WMS  Klondike (...owned and played daily) If you see a GTB 4 Square buy it, or better still PM me. GTB High Hand is pretty much my favorite wedgehead.

Bally Bobby Orr Powerplay is a fantastic player if you can cope with the ice hockey theme. I really loved  Mitch's Six Million Dollar Man when I had the chance to play it. Bally SS's in my limited experience are silky smooth and there is something about the plastics and p/f finish that makes them magic for me...they seem to glow in a way the others dont

I'd reccommend you attend Newcastle Pinfest in September and get some time up on a few machines.

Good to hear there was one at Pinfest! I will let you know if i see a 4 Square.

Much as i dont like to admit it, theme does play a part for me, Powerplay did look like a fun player but i would not be able to get past the theme.

I will try to get up there for Pinfest, I am trying to convince the missus and i am about to start a new Job so annual could be an issue but we will see.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see what I can do to get there. I love the movie to, if anyone hasn't seen it for a while JB Hifi now have it for $9.99

Just keep in mind you have to pay for his autograph, it's $30 for Sam Jones. Would be worth it though, and i would also suggest watching the movie Ted if you have not seen it. Go to supanova.com and everything is there.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
Capersville was at Pinfest last year....a really nice example. I enjoyed it for the limited time it was available(it had a few issues over the weekend). Very fast and zipper flippers are cool.
I'd reccommend GTB Abra Ca Dabra, Outer Space and  WMS  Klondike (...owned and played daily) If you see a GTB 4 Square buy it, or better still PM me. GTB High Hand is pretty much my favorite wedgehead.

Bally Bobby Orr Powerplay is a fantastic player if you can cope with the ice hockey theme. I really loved  Mitch's Six Million Dollar Man when I had the chance to play it. Bally SS's in my limited experience are silky smooth and there is something about the plastics and p/f finish that makes them magic for me...they seem to glow in a way the others dont

I'd reccommend you attend Newcastle Pinfest in September and get some time up on a few machines.

Good to hear there was one at Pinfest! I will let you know if i see a 4 Square.

Much as i dont like to admit it, theme does play a part for me, Powerplay did look like a fun player but i would not be able to get past the theme.

I will try to get up there for Pinfest, I am trying to convince the missus and i am about to start a new Job so annual could be an issue but we will see.

Just keep in mind you have to pay for his autograph, it's $30 for Sam Jones. Would be worth it though, and i would also suggest watching the movie Ted if you have not seen it. Go to supanova.com and everything is there.

Yes I saw the autograph and photo pricing on the web site. I can't believe you have to pay for a picture with the Hoff! Anyway I've decided I'm going, well worth it for Sam Jones autograph. I have the apron decal and an original Bally Flash Gordon Flyer Ill have him sign, so if anyone else is going and spots a guy holding a rather large pinball apron decal, that'll me me so say hi if you get a chance.  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
I am really glad i started this thread now as there is alot of passion here for the older machines.

I specialize in the older games because dealers concentrate on quick and profitable returns on DMDs. The market for EMs and SS is not as big as DMDs because of this fact. I've made efforts to import and restore older games as it gives more choice for pinball players and collectors. A lot more effort goes into EMs and SS, for less return - but the demand for high end EM and SS restoration is catching up. It is not a niche market anymore. If there is something you are looking for, chances are I'll find it - especially the rare Bally EMs - Don't let the word "rare" scare you off - it does not mean "expensive", it means "scarce". I'm waiting on confirmation of my latest import and I'll list the games here first. Most EMs are Ballys from this era, and some are mega rare, and great players.

The passion you speak of is just part of us "older" generation that were brought up on EMs and SS. Introducing EMs to the younger generation has been a challenge, but EVERY collection should have at least one EM, one SS and one DMD - even add a woodrail.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
I can't believe you have to pay for a picture with the Hoff! Anyway I've decided I'm going, well worth it for Sam Jones autograph. I have the apron decal and an original Bally Flash Gordon Flyer Ill have him sign, so if anyone else is going and spots a guy holding a rather large pinball apron decal, that'll me me so say hi if you get a chance.  ^^^

I think what i find most offensive is that they make you pay for an autograph on the photo! The photo does not include a signiture!! Good call though getting it signed. I would pre buy if you can, just in case.

If there is something you are looking for, chances are I'll find it - especially the rare Bally EMs - Don't let the word "rare" scare you off - it does not mean "expensive", it means "scarce". I'm waiting on confirmation of my latest import and I'll list the games here first. Most EMs are Ballys from this era, and some are mega rare, and great players.

The passion you speak of is just part of us "older" generation that were brought up on EMs and SS. Introducing EMs to the younger generation has been a challenge, but EVERY collection should have at least one EM, one SS and one DMD - even add a woodrail.

Yeah i must admit the word rare has made me concerned about the prices on some of these EM's and SS's.

Haha, not sure that you are any older than me Nino! In saying that i am new to pinball!

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
All of this reminds me of the latest Scooby Doo cartoon - Scooby Doo and The Blue Falcon.  The story is based around a comic expo where the original star of the Blue Falcon who is now a washed up old man has issues because no-one wants his autograph anymore and can't even give them away.  Of course there is the nasty ghosty type dude who tries to ruin it all and ........well I won't spoil a good story. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:22 PM »

I think what i find most offensive is that they make you pay for an autograph on the photo! The photo does not include a signiture!! Good call though getting it signed. I would pre buy if you can, just in case.

Tickets brought and hotels booked. In someways I can't believe I'm doing all this for a signature on a pinball apron. It'll be worth it though as Im really going all the way with this restoration and trying to make it as close to original as possible, so it'll be cool to have this extra little something to personalise it.  Should be fun, I am looking forward to it.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

Tickets brought and hotels booked. In someways I can't believe I'm doing all this for a signature on a pinball apron. It'll be worth it though as Im really going all the way with this restoration and trying to make it as close to original as possible, so it'll be cool to have this extra little something to personalise it.  Should be fun, I am looking forward to it.

To make it truly worthwhile, we need to see a pic of you with FG as the autograph is being done......in your Flash Gordon outfit. 

Definitely need a good pic though to get framed and hang up behind the machine as well as getting a clear coat on the apron.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »

..........in your Flash Gordon outfit. 

It's getting pressed as we speak!     &&

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »

Your not joking are you? Lol

Peter

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »

Iron Man doesn't need that.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »
To make it truly worthwhile, we need to see a pic of you with FG as the autograph is being done......in your Flash Gordon outfit. 

Definitely need a good pic though to get framed and hang up behind the machine as well as getting a clear coat on the apron.

This, definitely do this. Suit is up to you.  %.%

If they let you that is. Considering you have to pay for a photograph with them im not sure they will let you take one in line, worth a shot though.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »

Your not joking are you? Lol

Peter

Why's that Peter? Are you going and worried we'll clash?  @.@  :lol

This, definitely do this. Suit is up to you.  %.%

If they let you that is. Considering you have to pay for a photograph with them im not sure they will let you take one in line, worth a shot though.

I'll ask, they can only say no. I hope they don't though, it'd be great to go along with the machine.